One step back, to take 2 steps forward....

Have you had a bike so dialed that it just fit you and your riding perfectly? I was just about there with me 05. Then, decided to sell and upgrade. :thumbsup:

I know I made a good choice, it will just take some time to get back to where I was with my 05. Making it more difficult, or more work is that my current bike started out as a 144 SX.

I have to say that the suspension is going to require the least amount of work as it has FC susp front and rear. All I am having to do is replace springs and I believe it will be good.

The biggest hurdle so far is the lack of bottom end. It rips from mid to top, it's just keeping it there which is the problem. Biggest issue is that it will bog going up a hill if I am not in the rpm's, like there isn't enough vacuum pressure. It just goes blaah. I was also able to lug along in 4th and launch the front end up and over obstacles with throttle and clutch. This bike just falls on it's face, and put me on the ground at least once.

So, my goal is to achieve the stump pulling bottom end I had with my 05 in this anemic 08. I don't think it is any one thing causing the issue, rather several small things. Hopefully, along the way, you guys can help me figure this out. Thing is that my 05 was modded when I bought it, having been mildly ported and a light head cut (which I didn't know till I sent it off to Mike).

First, let's look at the differences:

2005:

mild porting of the jug

milled head by Cycle Playground

Gnarly pipe

Boyeson reed block

jetting dialed with 38mm carb

reed block spacer (not much affect)

2k2 FW with 9 oz FWW

2008:

stock porting

stock head

KTM Fatty pipe and silencer

39mm carb (part of the issue me thinks)

SX ignition

V Force reed block

46 rear vs 48 rear on the 05 ( I know gearing is different, but the middle gears are similar)

2k1 FW with 9 oz FWW (9oz lighter than the 05 setup)

I am on a budget, so I am starting with the most economical changes first.

Last night I did some mild porting of the jug, and cleaned up the exhaust flange. There are places on the flange that extend out into the port, causing a restriction. This should help. I will try to get some pics, though I don't have any before pics. I also V'd the divider between the ports from a U shape.

I also went from a .75mm gasket to a .45mm gasket, which brought the squish down just below 1.5mm. I will have the head cut later, but my plan at this point is to test this set up, then stick a 48 tooth on the rear to get the gearing closer to what I had with my 05.

Any other suggestions for the time being till I test?

I'm up for another Saturday ride...:thumbsup:

I'm sore as hell today...dang. Outa shape old guy.:ride:

Shameless spam: Trade me for my 100% woods setup 08 200 because I'm looking for a more track setup bike w/minimal out of pocket expense :ride:

http://georgiaoffroad.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=48737

If nothing else, if you're interested in swapping FWWs, I got an 11oz and it's too heavy because PO of my rig put on a 2k2 or 2k3 (can't remember) to accommodate a light kit, and the 11oz makes mine accelerate like a 4t. A CRF 150f 4t. :thumbsup:

buy a 05 motor

buy a 05 motor

haha, yeah. I have ridden a stock 08 200W with more bottom than this, so something is up.

On the faster double track and light moto stuff, it is a hoot to ride, anywhere I can keep the rpms up.

I put an 03 200sx motor in to my 09 150sx. what a blast. I may try swapping in a 2k1 ignition from a 250sx, and put the 2k3 on to the 250sx for offroading.....

I wasn't able to get my 08 200 to preform or handle the way I wanted, I tried about everything. In the end the fix was getting back on a MX bikes.

Bet it's your carb. Not enough air velocity. Borrow someone's smaller carb to test.

All MX two strokes have huge carbs that are almost too big. You can tell by the very large jet sizes they use. They sacrifice all bottom end in exchange for serious revs and power on top. Sounds like you already know this though. I would let you borrow my carb if you were near by.

Maybe a carb insert (if there is such a thing cheap) to sleeve down the 39 to a 36 as a simple test? Or just borrow a 36mm.

Have you asked Allen Wood if you can borrow his carb? I ~think~ he has a 200.

Maybe a carb insert (if there is such a thing cheap) to sleeve down the 39 to a 36 as a simple test? Or just borrow a 36mm.

Have you asked Allen Wood if you can borrow his carb? I ~think~ he has a 200.

No, but I could borrow yours. :thumbsup::ride:

j/k you ride too much.

The 39 should work, and I will continue to work with it to get it better. we shall see...

I spent Sunday and Monday eve making some changes. I will get to test again this weekend.

pulled the jug, checked the reeds, took the dremel tool to the exhaust flange, cleaning up some areas that restricted flow, and did some mild porting to the exhaust ports. I also lowered squish from almost 1.7 to 1.5mm by going with a thinner base gasket. The way it feels in the yard, doesn't seem that I picked up a whole lot of performance. Hard to tell till I hit the trails though.

Jetting, I am going to start with the stock 144 jetting, including the slide. I will adjust the main to suit the larger motor and the temps.

I am installing a 48 tooth rear, up from a 46 to see what that does.

I also had a conversation with Deinabolic, just so no one thinks I am ignoring him. :smirk:

Shameless spam: Trade me for my 100% woods setup 08 200 because I'm looking for a more track setup bike w/minimal out of pocket expense :p

http://georgiaoffroad.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=48737

If nothing else, if you're interested in swapping FWWs, I got an 11oz and it's too heavy because PO of my rig put on a 2k2 or 2k3 (can't remember) to accommodate a light kit, and the 11oz makes mine accelerate like a 4t. A CRF 150f 4t. :smirk:

I checked out your link. Sorry to change the subject but did you ever try the 18mm offset on your triple clamps? I have the same bike and ride a lot of moto. The 18mm offset will give you more trail up front. More trail will give your bike a more stable front end (less twitchy) at speed. The same amount of turn on your handlebars will lean the bike further down than the 20mm offset. You will end up with a bike that is more stable that turns in easier without trying to fight the bike down in the turn (they want to stand up and go wide even wash out). This will help assuming you have the correct springs and sag. Raising you forks will help but will also make the bike twitchier. The offset is the way to go. I had problems with turning and headshake on the moto track. Good luck.

Edited by delleetodd

You can buy a new 36mm carb for $250.00 shipped to your door...I REALLY don't think you will ever be happy with the 39 & SX ignition. I could have predicted this...but you wouldn't have listened to me...plus the XC trans just doesn't suit your riding style.

I know...you're on a budget...:smirk:

You can buy a new 36mm carb for $250.00 shipped to your door...I REALLY don't think you will ever be happy with the 39 & SX ignition. I could have predicted this...but you wouldn't have listened to me...plus the XC trans just doesn't suit your riding style.

I know...you're on a budget...:lol:

:lol::(:p

Sure. :smirk:

I will get it worked out.

Been a LONG time since you have ridden with me. It suits my riding style quite well now, just have to iron out a few minor details. One of the reasons I bought it in the first place.

I checked out your link. Sorry to change the subject but did you ever try the 18mm offset on your triple clamps? I have the same bike and ride a lot of moto. The 18mm offset will give you more trail up front. More trail will give your bike a more stable front end (less twitchy) at speed. The same amount of turn on your handlebars will lean the bike further down than the 20mm offset. You will end up with a bike that is more stable that turns in easier without trying to fight the bike down in the turn (they want to stand up and go wide even wash out). This will help assuming you have the correct springs and sag. Raising you forks will help but will also make the bike twitchier. The offset is the way to go. I had problems with turning and headshake on the moto track. Good luck.

(Shoulda had a V8 forehead slap)

I TOTALLY forgot the offset is adjustable on these bikes. BIG thanks!

(Shoulda had a V8 forehead slap)

I TOTALLY forgot the offset is adjustable on these bikes. BIG thanks!

I am thinking I may try that myself. :smirk:

I am thinking I may try that myself. :smirk:

Just to save you a little trouble. You may want to check first but I think the SX's come it the 18mm position.

Power valve issue? but I would only guess, seems as if you would of seen something by now. KTM two strokes are dogs and very hard to diognos when the power valve is a miss one way or the other. The orange magic can quickly disappear.

Power valve issue? but I would only guess, seems as if you would of seen something by now. KTM two strokes are dogs and very hard to diognos when the power valve is a miss one way or the other. The orange magic can quickly disappear.

had it all apart and cleaned when I did the porting. Plus, it ran like a scalded cat once you got it on the pipe. I am quite familiar with the issues a PV can cause.

Thanks for the thought though, never know what has been looked over.