Sign in to follow this  

Starting my 2002 WR250f

I bought a very nice bike today but no electric start. I have spent the day trying to kick it over. The owner kicked it over with some trouble, one of my mechanics kicked it easily and showed me his technique. I have been successful only once...all day. This is what I am doing....where am I going wrong?

The bike is on its kickstand, the choke is out, the gas is on, the compressor button is in. I push down on the kick lever (which probably has a real name) until the point of resistence then pull in the compressor lever and push the kick lever a little bit down then back up, releasing the compressor lever and kicking as hard as I can. I know I can do this but I think I am missing something.

Any thoughts?

Thank you,

Maureen

Yes, just a little subtle distinction. When you're pushing it thru, listen for the intake stroke to suck air in thru the carb. After you hear that, you have a "fuel charge" in the cylinder. It will begin the compression stroke immediately after, so expect it to get stiff at that point. Go ahead and put a little pressure on it. Then gently, just pull and release the compression release lever. I call this part "burping" the cylinder. You want to bleed off just enough pressure to allow it to kick without undue stress to your leg or the bike. It might take a couple of tries. Don't just pull the lever all the way to the bar and hold it. You will bleed off all the charge in the cylinder. You want to feel how much you bleed it thru the kick lever, and then kick it past top dead center. If you go past TDC, then you pushed out all the charge. Don't get frustrated, just try again. Now, if you really want to fix the issue, then get an 03 or newer exhaust cam. It has the auto decomp mechanism, which makes the ritual un necessary. We put this on my son's 02 yz and even left the lever on. Good luck.

get the auto decomp on as these are the easiest bike in the worlds to kickstart. I had an 05, used to kick it for a laugh after 3/4 weeks sitting. 1 or 2 kicks and it was a goer. easy as pie. worth doing it !

You do not kick it as hard as you can. You press the kick start lever down with an increasing speed. You are not stomping it to death. These engines are small enough that you can do it by hand, let alone a foot.

Thanks a bunch guys...had a private lesson with my motocross racer mechanic and I can now kickstart my new bike. I have heard that starting it hot is another challange but I will cross that bridge when I come to it. I'm a happy girl today.

ive got an 01, same motor. When cold, choke on, bump piston passed tdc, two twists of throttle, then hands off throttle and light her up. When hot, pull out hot start(red)button on carb. No throttle, kick away. If done correctly and the bike is in a good state of tune this will work all the time as it has for me with my stock cammed wr for 10 years

I realized that I did not share the missing piece...when I was pushing down on the kick lever with the compression lever pulled in I was going too far (3 inches instead of the correct 3/4 inch) otherwise I did everything else the same. Soooo glad to be able to start this bike!

when it's hot just pull the hotstart while kicking it the same as if it were cold.

when it's hot just pull the hotstart while kicking it the same as if it were cold.

And push the red hotstart button on the carb back in right after it starts. It can be a challenge sometimes when restarting the bike half way up a hill climb while the bike is trying to roll backwards don't ask me how I know. :smirk:

Here's a good link on the starting drill.

http://www.thumperfaq.com/starting_drill.htm

Here's a good link on the starting drill.

http://www.thumperfaq.com/starting_drill.htm

Mike,

I love this...really, this is the kind of thing I need when I am out on the trail...one time after riding/crashing on an icey trail I could not get my KLX 140 started...I tried and tried and finally walked the bike for a few miles. Turns out I had not switched the run button to the ON position - so basic but I just was not thinking straight. Looking back it was probably good that I had to walk the bike-probably prevented another crash. I will be carrying this with me on my first ride with my new bike :smirk:. Thanks again.

Maureen

".....but I think I am missing something"

It's called e-start! :smirk:

".....but I think I am missing something"

It's called e-start! :smirk:

You're funny Jon. Maybe my next ride I can borrow your new bike! It has an e-start - right?

Sounds like you have things worked out :smirk:

Now, go ride that thing :p

They only get better with seat time and while riding street is fun, I bet you'll end up riding off road more than you think.

WRF and off road are as good as it gets. Easy, mellow ride, with lots of power on tap if you get to feeling the need to get away from the concrete jungle.

Kick starting or e-start isn't a big deal, except on steep hills. But, never forget generations of riders rode without e-start and even 'back then' many of those guys were fast by today's standards.

Jack Penton and Dick Mann didn't have an e-start and I don't personally know anyone as fast as they were.

Sounds like you have things worked out :smirk:

Now, go ride that thing :p

I rode yesterday and it was a very good time. The cold start was tough...maybe thirty kicks. The hot start was much easier. I stalled three times during the ride, twice, as I had trouble getting the bike into neutral. This is a problem I had with my 2005 WR as well. The third stall was going between two boulders to access a side trail. This time it only took 3 kicks! No stalling was my goal for yesterdays ride...very glad I have learned to keep my finger over the clutch at all times....that clutch has become a key tool for me. Yes, LoneStar, things may be working out. I have not ruled out the CAM though just going to give it a few more rides and see how I do.