Sign in to follow this  

Electrical Ignition Problem?

Went to crank the bike up the other day, it turned over about 3 times and then the lights on the "dashboard" went dark and nothing will work or light up. Almost like you just disconnected the battery. Checked all the fuses and connections in the battery box but to no avail. I push started it and it fired up just fine and everything works perfectly except the horn only blows when at idle :thumbsup: Did some thinking and figure it has to be something between the battery and ignition switch because when it receives power once running everything works. Got any idea what's up?

Pretty sure this doesn't matter but the bike was in the back of my truck and took a fall against the bed railing when I decided to rear end the car in front of me. Bike went forward hard enough to bend the front of my bed in against my cab! I was more pissed off about denting the gas tank than I was about the front of my truck :ride:

Thanks guys

it's got to be either your battery, a loose connection or a fuse. it sounds like a loose battery connection. if you hook it up to a battery charger, will the lights come on?

First place to check for electrical probs on these bikes.......under the seat...there is a bolt and all the ground wires ground at that point,pull the bolt out..sand that spot on the frame to bare metal..put dielectric grease all over the wires,bolt,frame and tighten it down..........i can`t count how many times this is corroded and is the issue..

B

Edited by brianhare

it's got to be either your battery, a loose connection or a fuse. it sounds like a loose battery connection. if you hook it up to a battery charger, will the lights come on?

You were right in that it was the battery but it wasn't a loose connection. Turns out the battery just died, like instantly. Put a charger on it and it would fire up. Charged the battery for 2 hours and still nothing. New battery and the problem is solved. Can't believe it just died like that. Ever heard of a battery going out like this?

You were right in that it was the battery but it wasn't a loose connection. Turns out the battery just died, like instantly. Put a charger on it and it would fire up. Charged the battery for 2 hours and still nothing. New battery and the problem is solved. Can't believe it just died like that. Ever heard of a battery going out like this?

it doesn't happen often, but it does happen. usually it's a internal short.

it doesn't happen often, but it does happen. usually it's a internal short.

Apologies in advance for the quibble, but that should be 'internal open'; if you had a short inside the battery you would probably be on the receiving side of no small quantity of excitement.

I had a car battery go 'open' once while cranking, the current across the just-opened gap drew an arc and lit off the hydrogen in the battery-

KA-BLAM!

Dave

Apologies in advance for the quibble, but that should be 'internal open'; if you had a short inside the battery you would probably be on the receiving side of no small quantity of excitement.

I had a car battery go 'open' once while cranking, the current across the just-opened gap drew an arc and lit off the hydrogen in the battery-

KA-BLAM!

Dave

3 times i`ve seen this Dave........and 2 other times while a battery was charging:smirk::smirk:BLAMMMMMMM..:smirk:

B

Lithium-polymer batteries won't explode, probably- they go up more like thermite!

Dave