2002 XR100r carb issue

Problem:

I have a brand new carb for my XR, and it seems that when you turn the fuel on, it fills up the bowl and then overflows.

What I know:

I know that when the fuel fills up the bowl, the fuel is supposed to raise the float, shutting off the gas intake, therefore not allowing the fuel to raise above the overflow needle and... Well... Overflow...

Possible fixes???

Is there an adjustment to set the float height on this model?

Is there any other adjustment methods that I should be aware of?

Thank you in advance for any help. :thumbsup:

(Warning! I'm a n00b so someone will come along with actual knowledge.)

Looking at the parts fiche, it has a typical float tang and float needle. So, it could be junk on the needle, junk in the needle seat, or the tang needs adjustment. Since it's a new carb, I'd guess a fleck of something in the seat or the tang needs bent to the correct angle. Unfortunately, I don't know what that angle should be. (If I checked for a fleck of something and decided to set the tang, I'd bend it slightly more to make the flow to the bowl shut off sooner.)

Hopefully someone who knows for sure will post shortly.

(Warning! I'm a n00b so someone will come along with actual knowledge.)

Looking at the parts fiche, it has a typical float tang and float needle. So, it could be junk on the needle, junk in the needle seat, or the tang needs adjustment. Since it's a new carb, I'd guess a fleck of something in the seat or the tang needs bent to the correct angle. Unfortunately, I don't know what that angle should be. (If I checked for a fleck of something and decided to set the tang, I'd bend it slightly more to make the flow to the bowl shut off sooner.)

Hopefully someone who knows for sure will post shortly.

It is the fuel needle. They have a rubber gasket around them which makes it hang up. Thank our new fuel standards. The blame can be directly pointed at the Ethanol in our fuel. Buy a new needle and install before you start adjusting the floats. Best of luck to you.

It happened to me and the fix cost $5.