Sign in to follow this  

little problem.

i bought brand new pro taper pillowtop grips and on my first ride i crashed and the trottle tube is cracked :thumbsup: i ordered to new throttle tubes, but now i just thought about how i will get my grip of the old tube without cutting it or ruining it. i cant buy new grips because they wont arrive in time from the bike shop for me to go to an mx school i applied for on friday. any suggestions?

i bought brand new pro taper pillowtop grips and on my first ride i crashed and the trottle tube is cracked :thumbsup: i ordered to new throttle tubes, but now i just thought about how i will get my grip of the old tube without cutting it or ruining it. i cant buy new grips because they wont arrive in time from the bike shop for me to go to an mx school i applied for on friday. any suggestions?

Try some compressed air from a air hose to see if you can't get the grip off that way. Other than that I think it's new grips.

What kind of adhesive did you use on the grips? Maybe try heating them up? (Not sure about that one tho.)

Do you not have any other local bike shops? I know every single shop around here has multiple pairs of grips in-stock at any given time...

I have gotten grips off that were glued on by using a long flat blade screwdriver. Work it in between the grip and throttle tube and start wiggling around. It will take some time and you will have to work it around several times, but it can be done. All depends on how much you want to save the grip. The compressed air trick works too. That is if you have an air compressor.

Take a flat blade screw driver and slide it down inside the grip from the open side.

Try to get it in as far as you as you can without ripping grip.

Spray some contact cleaner down the grip and work it around with the screw driver.

Pull out the screw driver and twist the grip back and forth and it will slide off.

The only glue this does not work on is super glue.

the only thing holding the grip on is tie wire, i have an air compressor, plenty of flat screwdrivers and heaps of wd-40 :thumbsup: thanks!!!