Sign in to follow this  

Idaho Ride Reports

Was just curious as to where everyone has been going riding and what were the trail conditions like.

I have been going to IDC lately. Tried riding the trails on east side of German Creek and ran into several downed trees that caused us to turn back on a couple of trails. I also rode some trails of the back side of Thorn Creek Lookout(684 & 683), man were they over grown with brush. They took us down to a snails pace and seemed like I was never going to get out of there. I am really suprized how few people have been up in IDC the last couple weekends.

We've been riding at Hemingway Butte lately. Lots of good trails, with no trees blocking the way at all. Of course, the reason there are no trees across the trails is because there are no trees to begin with. Hot and dusty with absolutely no shade, but we try to get there early before it gets too hot.

We cleared Deadwood + Julie Crk trails this last Sat. Open to the dam. Jack Struthers owner of Carl's led the ride. He clears this trail every year! Whole KoubaLink.com family was there also.(Spam, I know, but they do the work).Good to meet Zookrider.sp Good luck to TVTMA next weekend @ Warmsprings. There were a lot of very large trees down on Deadwood. Sharpen those saws

We cleared Deadwood + Julie Crk trails this last Sat. Open to the dam. Jack Struthers owner of Carl's led the ride. He clears this trail every year! Whole KoubaLink.com family was there also.(Spam, I know, but they do the work).Good to meet Zookrider.sp Good luck to TVTMA next weekend @ Warmsprings. There were a lot of very large trees down on Deadwood. Sharpen those saws

:ride: I owe you a beer or 3! :thumbsup:

Close enough on the spelling, it was good to meet you as well. If Warmsprings is anything like Deadwood I will need more bar oil and a spare chain.

We tried riding the Kirkham / Warm Springs loop out of Bull Trout this weekend... had a few trees to cut out, but the best part is that we were turned back after 8-10 miles by snow at about 7600 ft.

I've never seen that much snow at these elevations in July.....

We tried riding the Kirkham / Warm Springs loop out of Bull Trout this weekend... had a few trees to cut out, but the best part is that we were turned back after 8-10 miles by snow at about 7600 ft.

Yikes!!!! :thumbsup:

Heading up Thursday evening -- we'll see what we can get done I guess. That's not good though.

Better take a snow shovel instead of the pulaski!

My buddy said he saw 2 trail ranger trucks loaded with bikes heading out of IDPR headquarters this morning and I think they are headed that way :thumbsup:

Fools Creek last weekend:

IMG_1048.jpg

Edited by vdigz
Attached Fools Cr pic

:p I owe you a beer or 3! :smirk:

I hope you guys left Lightning and Onion for Baja to clear .

I know he would be disappointed if you didn't . lol

............. the best part is that we were turned back after 8-10 miles by snow at about 7600 ft.

Yeah, what a long and wierd winter season. We were still getting snow down here in June.

Late August is my plan and I'm stickin to it. Wish I could get up there now and help clear but someone has to make money to buy you guys a beer. :smirk:

I have not rode the Trinitys and don't know the area but just saw this article:

Trinity Mountain access road closed

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Mountain Home News

The U.S. Forest Service Mountain Home District Ranger has issued an immediate temporary emergency closure to restrict all motorized access to a portion of Forest Road 129, which is the primary route to the Trinity Mountain Recreation Area.

The section closed is from Milepost 8.4 to 15.7 and includes all spur roads. The closure will minimize road damage and protect other resources due to wet thaw conditions.

Closures of this high elevation road typically end by now, but snow drifts are still blocking the road due to the heavy winter snow pack and cool spring. It is anticipated the closure may remain in place until July 25. Currently, three to four feet of snow remain in some of the campground areas.

"This closure will temporarily delay access into the Trinity Mountain Recreation area, which is a popular high mountain recreational area," said District Ranger Stephaney Church. "The closure extension is needed due to the substantial amount of snow still within the area."

The temporary, emergency restrictions will be enforced by Forest Service law enforcement officers. Primary access routes and area trailheads are signed with a closure order.

"The key ingredient to protect the road is user compliance, and the public's cooperation is appreciated until the snow melts and the road dries," said Church.

I have been looking for a decent 12 or 14inch saw on craigslist, but I have not seen anything for a good price yet, just started looking.

I have a 14 in saw I will give you. You come get it in Caldwell. It needs a little work but it has run and cut wood. Free to you though. call me at 571-5601. 8till 11 pm.:smirk:

I have a 14 in saw I will give you. You come get it in Caldwell. It needs a little work but it has run and cut wood. Free to you though. call me at 571-5601. 8till 11 pm.:smirk:

So, I havent heard from anyone on this Poulan 14 inch saw. If ANYONE wants it, come and get it. Free to any local TT member. Call me.

Did WarmSprings,Kirkham, Bluejay, and Wapitii get cleared last weekend? If so thankx Tvtma.

Did WarmSprings,Kirkham, Bluejay, and Wapitii get cleared last weekend? If so thankx Tvtma.

Hey tim, I'm rehabbing so I wasn't personally on the trail, but I was in camp, and tresa was working her cute little butt off dragging logs and helping out. As I understand it, bluejay and wapiti got cleared but they got stopped by snow way up on 10-mile. There may or may not be anything down in the section that didn't get ridden, but as you know there's not u sually alot of deadfall up on the ridge.

warm springs is clear, kirkham is clear all the way to the atv trail head, Link was still blocked by snow a little ways past the kirkham turnoff so they were unable to complete the loop. I do not know if anyone went up link from the warm springs side. Where the snow usually lingers is on a downhill if you are coming from warm springs, so it might be easier to get through there.

gates, fir, wyoming, bench, swamp and trapp all got cleared.:smirk:

:p

For those riders in SE Idaho, the Big Holes are pretty much wide open now, an occasional drift here and there and a lot of mud in places, but, most trails

should be passable. One big drift on the N. side of Garns, but, you can skirt it. Some tree trimming would be nice as well, wish I had the time, but, working out of state this summer...

in camp drinking and making smores. that sucks. good luck with the knee

We bucked some snow on Bench but it was all passable. Where Fir comes up to the top of the ridge to tie into Gates and Wyoming there is still a cornice left that is probably 8' high and 30' wide in places and runs the entire ridge up there, looked like a highway for sleds :smirk:. There was a little notch that we could get through that was just slightly off where the trail normally runs. We cleared almost 100 trees off Bench and Fir and they said they cleared almost another 100 of Gates and Wyoming the day before. We came out Gates and there was some big wood they had cleared on that trail.