Swing arm bearing troubles

Anyone here every replace the bearings (needle) bushings and seals on the dr650 swing arm....I was trying to do it without a bearing press and well lets say that I didn't even try as I felt that even the greased up bearing were not going to go in very well if at all with out breaking them

Any advice would be nice as it is either a weeks wait, or $130 to get it fixed!

thanks in advanced

crab

If you dont have access to a press, try using a longer bolt(4in longer) than the one that the arm pivots on, and use bigger and thicker washers than the bearings diameter, put a nut on the other end, and using the tightening force to pull the new bearings into place:thumbsup:

Oh, and use anti-seeze instead of oil, go get a pot of coppercoat if you can, its heaps better when press fitting bearings, bushes etc:ride:

I just use sockets and a hammer. Allot easier than trying to get the swing arm leveled out on a floor press.

+1 on the sockets and hammer. You can make a press with a long bolt, nuts and washers. I think I seen a post on this site with pictures on how to do it.

You can also check this thread:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=575164

It has a picture of the home-made tool DR650R_dakar is talking about.

If you search a bit you will find more threads with photos of this minimal cost tool!

Once again thanks for all the help,

A local dealer (yamaha) was able to use his bearing press and for $35 pop out and in the bearings and replace them

Then I was able to put the swing arm baCk together, so far so good

Mind you this all started from a car side swiping me, anyways

Thanks again!

Crabnebula

Do you guys grease the bearings only, or everything, axle, big washers that go in after the seals, etc.. ?

Do you guys grease the bearings only, or everything, axle, big washers that go in after the seals, etc.. ?

In the manual it states to lube EVERYTHING when re-assembling the swing arm. Wipe the excess off after re-assembly:thumbsup:

I'm not sure I'd want to use coppercoat/copperslip on any type of moving parts, especially bearings- its an abrasive with copper particles mixed into it.

If you dont have access to a press, try using a longer bolt(4in longer) than the one that the arm pivots on, and use bigger and thicker washers than the bearings diameter, put a nut on the other end, and using the tightening force to pull the new bearings into place:thumbsup:

Oh, and use anti-seeze instead of oil, go get a pot of coppercoat if you can, its heaps better when press fitting bearings, bushes etc:ride:

I wouldn't use anti seize for pressing anything in. I just use oil. Anti seize is too coarse for pressing.

user small amount of neverseize on outside of bearing, you'll be thanking me the next time you go to press these bearings out!

btw, i'm a fitter by trade:thumbsup: