02' yz250f problem

The bike seems to shift good but there is no real feel to it. the shifter is sloppy and you really cant feel what the shifter is doing with boots on. Is this a sign of a very worn out clutch? Thanks for your help.:thumbsup:

Not really. The clutch has nothing to do with the shift feel. The problem is most likely the splines on the aluminum shift lever are worn, and allow the lever to move around. You can tighten up the bolt, but it doesn't fix it.

Test is to grab the lever and see if it also moves sideways. Also look at the shaft splines on the shaft (with lever removed). Once the lever is removed, inspect the splines on the lever. You will probably notice they are missing in some places, or do not line up straight across from one side to the other. Replace the lever.

Replacing the shaft is a little more involved, but is still worth doing if needed. Usually you will see this if you are using a steel shift lever. The aluminum one doesn't usually damage the splines on the shaft. Good luck.

Sounds to me like the shift lver is just loose or the splines shot like Ron said. Hopefully not the shaft as that is a lot more work (about 2 hours) to replace.

Well I feel dumb for not noticing that.:p But you guys are right the shifter is completly wasted. I could probably try to tighten it but I think I will just replace the shifter. Atleast it was that and not the other. Thanks for your help.:smirk:

If it has been loose a hile, chances are tightening will ony last a little whi;e. Smart move is a new shifter.

And you should go over the entire bike exery day of riding, checking for loose/missing bolts, things out of adjustment, lubricating, checking spokes, ect.

position the lever where you want it, then drill down through the shifter and lever but be carefull not to crack the shifter. then place a steel rod the the hole and bend it so it doesnt fall out. i did this to my 89' suzuki er 185. works a treat. although if it happened to my race bike, i would proberly buy a new shifter.

Barns, I've done that, it does work, but it leaves the tip of the shaft vulnerable to breaking because it makes it weaker. A much better way to do it is to cut a thin shim from a feeler gauge, and shim the lever tight, then put the bolt in and tighten it up. Only do that as a temporary measure since it will damage the splines where the shim goes in. Even better, wait until the new lever gets in. Good luck with it.