Sign in to follow this  

2007 450 XC W Radiator overflow kit?

OK, I'm new to KTMs, but I love my 450! I think I need (I've been told) an overflow reservoir for the radiator. Someone mentioned Hyde Racing.

#1 Do most riders put one on?

#2 What aare the good ones?

Thanks!

I used the Hyde on my 2-stroke and it's too small....Might hold a couple of shots worth of coolant. I use the RLR on the 530 with a CV4 2.0 cap and (switched) radiator fan. Have not been able boil it over yet.

i would only consider one if my bike were puke'n coolant to point when cold that the radiator fins were exposed.

the radiators should only be filled slightly above the fins (~10mm)... :thumbsup: ...any more and it will always puke coolant do to normal expansion. :ride:

...and if i still had a cooling/overheating problem i would add a cooling fan with thermoswitch and a 1.8 bar radiator cap first.

:ride:

Kenzo that thermostatic switch is garbage IMHO. I wired the fan to a switch on the handlebars. Stock caps are 1.8 on 2010 and up I believe.:thumbsup:

+1 on the 1.8 cap and RLR recovery tank.

Ben

Kenzo that thermostatic switch is garbage IMHO. I wired the fan to a switch on the handlebars. Stock caps are 1.8 on 2010 and up I believe.:thumbsup:

the thermoswitch isn't garbage...:D

...maybe just the wrong switching temperature? :banana:

upgraded mine w/ a 91C unit from AutoZone, works perfectly and never had a problem with the battery discharging since. :ride::thumbsup:

...and yes i ordered the 1.8 Bar radiator cap from one of the newer bikes VS the stock 1.6 Bar on the older bikes...i did have to tighten one of my hose clamps to stop a slight leak.

:ride:

I installed the RLR products on my 525, the only annoying thing was you have to cut out a bit of plastic to make it fit, but it is awesome, epic hill climb today, at the top all other bikes around me were invisible behind their steam clouds, where my overflow tank was just under full, 15mins later, radiator sucked it back in, not a drop spilt where everyone else lost about a cup full!

the thermoswitch isn't garbage...:p

...maybe just the wrong switching temperature? :lol:

upgraded mine w/ a 91C unit from AutoZone, works perfectly and never had a problem with the battery discharging since. :smirk::thumbsup:

...and yes i ordered the 1.8 Bar radiator cap from one of the newer bikes VS the stock 1.6 Bar on the older bikes...i did have to tighten one of my hose clamps to stop a slight leak.

:(

:lol::lol:Well the one you replaced it with ain't garbage:lol::lol: The short sections of hose around the thermostat switch adapter were a problem for me (another failure prone area) and the bike had to be glowing hot for the switch to trip on the fan. So, I put a new hose on and wired the fan to a handlebar switch. Works great and less to worry about going wrong.:p That was on the 300 pinger. The 530 is done the same way but it has a CV4 2.0 cap and RLR recovery tank.....Did some unintended rock crawling in 110F heat and the only complaint I have is my right thigh gets hot where the fan blows hot air through the shroud...:lol:

:lol::lol:Well the one you replaced it with ain't garbage:lol::lol: The short sections of hose around the thermostat switch adapter were a problem for me (another failure prone area) and the bike had to be glowing hot for the switch to trip on the fan. So, I put a new hose on and wired the fan to a handlebar switch. Works great and less to worry about going wrong.:smirk: That was on the 300 pinger.

...so it sounds like u didn't have the radiators with the tap/fitting for a direct install of the thermoswitch? ...and a 2-stroke?

...well there's ur problem. :p

:p

P.S. i'll leave ur age out of it...because i'm in the same boat! :(

I installed the RLR products on my 525, the only annoying thing was you have to cut out a bit of plastic to make it fit, but it is awesome, epic hill climb today, at the top all other bikes around me were invisible behind their steam clouds, where my overflow tank was just under full, 15mins later, radiator sucked it back in, not a drop spilt where everyone else lost about a cup full!

Same here with my 250. There was room for the tank in the airbox aft of the subframe rail. There's a little pocket there on the '07 model, zip-tied it to the frame rail.

This bike would always puke out too much coolant if it got hot in tight single track. Wasn't dire, just really annoying. Never happens now. Works really well.

Kinda spendy for a model airplane fuel tank and some tubing, but I didn't have to scout out the individual pieces, just install it and go.

• Like 1