Sign in to follow this  

2012 KX450F Ride Report

Ok I picked up my new Kaw 450 last Thursday and was unable to ride it till Sunday. First off at just looking it over the bike looks clean, fresh and extremely skinny. So I started it up to break the bike in. When I first started it the bike barely sounded like it was running. Once it was broke in I got on it a little bit, the bike sounds really good, deep nasty sounding bark. Finally took it too the track and rode it for awhile, this motor is amazing and super strong. It comes off the bottom really nice and smooth all the way up to the middle. Once you get it past the middle the thing starts pulling really hard and the bike revs good. The Suspension I had to mess with it a little. Im a A rider ex pro. I had to stiffen the the front forks up about 4 clicks on the compression and then I couldn't feel it bottom anymore. The forks felt good for stock forks I feel. The rear shock I set the sag at a 104mm of Sag for a starter. Thats what I have always ran in the past so I went from there for a starting point. The backend felt a little stiff at first so I softened the compression up two clicks and went from there. The bike felt really good and satble at speed. I rode it through a rough sand section and aslo some rolling sand whoops and the thing stayed in a straight line and tracked awesome. Over all I'am very impressed with the bike.

How does it corner? I'm looking at a new KX or RMZ450 this fall.

How does it corner? I'm looking at a new KX or RMZ450 this fall.

+1 im thinkin about makin the switch from yellow to green but dont wanna give up the cornering of the suzukis.. does the kx push through ruts or get chopped out down rough straights?

The thing surprisingly turned when I expected it to and never did anything wierd. It stuck and turned. Never pushed once on me.

HMMM, my 11 turns good, better than my 07 RMZ did. I have the stock triple trees. I wonder if I went to a 22mm if it really would be that much better?

My buddy has Ride Engineering 22mm offset on his 2009 450 and the thing turns on a dime.

Does it feel slimmer than 09-11 kx's? How about fit and finish? Does all the plastic fit together good? This was something I was somewhat disappointed in with my 09.

23.5 is what I was told by Applied.

Where can I get the best price on 22mm trees? I keep finding them cheap for 06-08 bikes but I need one for an 11.

yes 22.5 on the 2011 dont waste money for 22s, i have rg3 20mm on my 2010 250. more is better!

Does it feel slimmer than 09-11 kx's? How about fit and finish? Does all the plastic fit together good? This was something I was somewhat disappointed in with my 09.

The thing is as skinny as the new Honda's its way skinnier then any previous 450. The plastic all kits together and is very streamline and smooth. Nothing catches on boots or gear. They did a great job withthis bike indeed. Im so happy with this thing its not even funny.

I noticed the curb weight is about 10lbs heavier than the Honda. It looks so slimmed down but I was surprised at the weight.

same idea as last year.. I wouldnt be suprised if the kawi is alittle heavier but i doubt its a full 10 lbs lighter wet.

The thing is as skinny as the new Honda's its way skinnier then any previous 450. The plastic all kits together and is very streamline and smooth. Nothing catches on boots or gear. They did a great job withthis bike indeed. Im so happy with this thing its not even funny.

Sounds good. Thanks

Quick overview of the 12. It turns better than any KX450F I have ever ridden, shifts slick and easy, suspension is some of the best out of box I've ridden. I would compare it to a Yamaha SSS, plush but with good bottoming control. I may have to go up one spring rate on the rear as I had 25mm static sag with 108mm rider sag. My friend had his 2011 with Factory Connection suspension and the rear shock felt very similar to his, but his forks were a little better. He rode mine and when he got off he said it felt as thin as a 125 and he could go anywhere he wanted in the curves. It seems to have more torque than my 2011 and would pull a tall gear easier.