Sign in to follow this  

Honda TL 125 fork tube challenge!

OK I've posted several topics on tl125 fork tube alternatives. I'm over asking for an alternative, I challenge someone to tell me what other honda fork tubes will fit the TL. It seems like there are a thousand tubes online for many other honda makes but good luck on finding any for a TL. It's the last piece I need to finish my restoration project. Ok so I've said my piece now someones got to know something.

• Like 2

Yes I know forks by frank can build some but the question still remains, what other honda forks will fit the tl 125. Was the TL fork a random size made just for that bike? Would the SL 100 or 125 forks work? There's a thousand of them for sale on ebay. :thumbsup:

From what I remember on the honda Tl 125 I had, the tubes seemed like some of the others. BUT Honda tended to make new parts for new bikes and where not a parts bin company like yamaha. (who many model shared the same parts. )

What you should do is take a fork apart and get the measurements, (OD of the tube and length are the important ones. ) and then post the numbers and the guys with the old hondas can check for you. (I only have an old Yamaha right now.. )

The TL125 51410-110-791 fork tubes fit the following motorcycles:

SL100K3 A MOTORCYCLE, JPN, VIN# SL100-1300001

SL125K1 A MOTORCYCLE, JPN, VIN# SL125S-1100001

SL125K2 A MOTORCYCLE, JPN, VIN# SL125S-1200001 TO SL125S-1216831

TL125 A MOTORCYCLE, JPN, VIN# TL125-1000003

TL125K1 A MOTORCYCLE, JPN, VIN# TL125-1100001

XL100 A MOTORCYCLE, JPN, VIN# XL100-1000001

XL100 A (76) MOTORCYCLE, JPN, VIN# XL100-1200003

XL100K1 A MOTORCYCLE, JPN, VIN# XL100-1100004

There are a number of pretty good parts search engines out there - I'd be lost without them:

http://www.powersedge.com/pages/OemParts?aribrand=HOM#/Honda/TL125K1_A__MOTORCYCLE%2c_JPN%2c_VIN%23_TL125-1100001/FRONT_FORK_%2b_FRONT_FENDER_%2b_STEERING_STEM_K-K1/TL125K1-JPN-A/2Y143552F14355203A

Ray

Thanks guys but I'm still getting mixed info. Some suppliers say the SL 100 and 125 forks will not fit and the a few guys say they will. I just dont want to buy a NOS set online and have it not fit. I'm taking glenn's advice and measure the tubes tonight and then post it. Hopefully then the guys with old parts can compare and let me know. Thanks again.

Well it is best to be sure, I did figure out a piston from a yz175 and it175 will fit my DT that way. saved me $$$ when I had to replace it.

I think the OEM ones are ok for trail riding. mild use. JUst my .02 cents.... remember as a retoration originality counts! in resale or for show. In resale mods only count if they are high end ones, that are from the time when the bike was new, or latter day well chosen and installed mods. Hack up's or odd ball looks for the sake of enhancing performance or suspension improvement - devalue the bike, no matter if they work well over stock or not.

Well it is best to be sure, I did figure out a piston from a yz175 and it175 will fit my DT that way. saved me $$$ when I had to replace it.

Parts back then were commonly shared accross model lines to save money in the manufacturing process. It continues today, but not on the large scale it did back when the companies were young and capital was smaller than it is now. All of the big 4 embraced this process early on in manufacturing.

It is a common practice in manufacturing in almost anything you can think of to use same-same components and save dollars.

Of the big Japanese companys at the time Yamaha was the best known Parts bin company's. One reason I like them so much LOL.. Why redesign something

when they have one that worked. Honda has always tended to not be that way.

Thus tier rep as an engineering company.

Parts back then were commonly shared accross model lines to save money in the manufacturing process. It continues today, but not on the large scale it did back when the companies were young and capital was smaller than it is now. All of the big 4 embraced this process early on in manufacturing.

It is a common practice in manufacturing in almost anything you can think of to use same-same components and save dollars.

Of the big Japanese companys at the time Yamaha was the best known Parts bin company's. One reason I like them so much LOL.. Why redesign something

when they have one that worked. Honda has always tended to not be that way.

Thus tier rep as an engineering company.

mmmmmmmmm - not so much - most all of the HONDA XL's shared common components, tail lights, fenders, etc, engines I dunno....

So XL fork tubes will fit the TL? I'm not so sure about that.

I would speculate that yes the XL125 forks will fit, however they are not any better. Check out B&J racing they have tons of TL stuff and may be able to rework your forks, they are into vintage trials.

• Like 1

Yeah I have Talked to the guys at B&J and they are great but they want over 300 bucks for a new set. I don't have a problem paying that but I really hate that Forks by Frank and B&J are my only option for a TL and then I go online and find OEM NOS fork tubes for XL's and SL's all day long for less than half that price. I wouldnt mind using an XL or Sl tube I really dont think I'll notice the ride difference if any. By the way I tried the JB weld option on the pitted areas of the tubes last night. seems like a good idea in theory but they still had a ring of fork oil after 4 or 5 pushes on the tubes. Oh well it was worth a try.

Yeah I have Talked to the guys at B&J and they are great but they want over 300 bucks for a new set. I don't have a problem paying that but I really hate that Forks by Frank and B&J are my only option for a TL and then I go online and find OEM NOS fork tubes for XL's and SL's all day long for less than half that price. I wouldnt mind using an XL or Sl tube I really dont think I'll notice the ride difference if any. By the way I tried the JB weld option on the pitted areas of the tubes last night. seems like a good idea in theory but they still had a ring of fork oil after 4 or 5 pushes on the tubes. Oh well it was worth a try.

Where are you finding NOS OEM fork tubes for SLs on line? I've been looking and can't find any. Don't be fooled by all the Honda dealers who list them in the parts fiche, they are no longer available from Honda for SL100 and SL125, nearly everything in the XL fork has a different part number than the SLs.

The forks are the same part number for SL and XL 100s and 125s. The TL has a different part number.

Edited by ernest t