Sign in to follow this  

L stock filter skin

Is there any sorta filter skin for a stock 96' xr650L paper filter? Any experiences?

Yes, but you will need to buy one UNI filter and new jets (specifically 55/155 with the stock pipe)

New take the OEM filter and hold it next to the UNI filter, introduce them to each other, then thrown the OEM paper one away. Properly oil the UNI filter. Install the new UNI filter as well as the jets, and you're all set.

Granted, It's not really a skin over a paper filter, but you get the idea.

I did not realize they made a foam filter that fit OEM,,, If I just put in the box oiled up will it enrichen my jetting? I got some belray filter oil.... thanks again,,

I did not realize they made a foam filter that fit OEM,,, If I just put in the box oiled up will it enrichen my jetting? I got some belray filter oil.... thanks again,,

Changing the filter will let more air in so to counteract this you would want to add more fuel by changing your jets. You probably would want to change jets anyway from stock as the stockers seem to run a little lean thus making the motor run a little hotter.

Changing the filter will let more air in so to counteract this you would want to add more fuel by changing your jets. You probably would want to change jets anyway from stock as the stockers seem to run a little lean thus making the motor run a little hotter.

Open up the air box some before you jet it. Check out Daves Mods. They will make you bike have much better thottle response, run cooler and start better. You will be thrilled by the results.

Daves Mods

:smirk:

Umm, not exactly. You have the right filter oil though. You need to purchase and install a 55 size pilot and a 155 main jet when you switch to a foam filter.

It'll run great.

Thank you everybody, between time, inclination, and money; I am going about this the long arounds about way.... I am somewhat familiar with dave's mods from my grazing around here... would much rather have somebody local whom is enthusiastic about workin on xr's go about this for $25 an hour but don't feel this is likely to happen,,,, since I am needing a filter I am starting with foam....

Hassle wise I already ordered the filter at a nearby shop... Motion plus Midtown, Tn.. $35 I realize I can get it cheaper via internet, but I am bad about getting my ducks in a row.

About the jets, Would you rather refer me to a multiple jet kit at an awesome deal right now with what else I might need...

Smog kit has been removed..., supposedly 2 holes were drilled in the exhaust...

I'm thinking since this has been done Jetting may have been done and I have reason to believe it may be slightly on the rich side... Nubs are still on the carb adjuster thing.

But for now what and where is the deal on the jet kit these days?

I realize I'll have to open the carb to see where I stand,,, but like I said I'm starting with the filter.... Iv'e talked before but I'm starting finally and slowly... Thank you for you patience with us types..