Tightning Cam Gear

I rebuilt the top end of my 03 450R and everything is running great, I am a little paranoid thought that I did not torque my hex screws on the upper cam chani sproket enough, nor did I clean up the threads as well before applying loctite as I should have. The last thing I need is one of these bolts vibrating out over time and destroying my enging. I am thinking of removing the cover and re-torquing the bolts but struggled tightning them without the engine turning over. I ended up putting it in gear and having someone hold the rear brake to tighten, but it wasnt the best. Is there a way to block the cam chain sproket to get it torqued well?

Putting a hex key in the TDC Indicator (left crankcase) sounds good to me, one question though will this stretch the cam chain? I guess the $24 tool would be the best but I would think one could put a 1X2 piece of wood inbetween the case and the sprocket to block it? Anyone come up with something ingenuitive?

Motion Pro makes a tool for about $ 24 that does just that.

08-0437.jpg

Others will remove the engine plug on the right side and hold the crank from moving using the 8mm Allen socket.

Will this help to hold the engine at TDC during a leakdown test as well?

I like that fancy DIY tool. It looks like it really has some bling, is it hard drawn copper pipe, with a padded handle. Kidding aside, I assume the pegs go into the holes in the sproket and the pipe is blocked against the engine frame. Looks pretty easy to fabricate one of these. Ill get to it this weekend.

I like that fancy DIY tool. It looks like it really has some bling, is it hard drawn copper pipe, with a padded handle. Kidding aside, I assume the pegs go into the holes in the sproket and the pipe is blocked against the engine frame. Looks pretty easy to fabricate one of these. Ill get to it this weekend.

just a bad cell phone pic its steel pipe not copper

I rebuilt the top end of my 03 450R and everything is running great, I am a little paranoid thought that I did not torque my hex screws on the upper cam chani sproket enough, nor did I clean up the threads as well before applying loctite as I should have. The last thing I need is one of these bolts vibrating out over time and destroying my enging. I am thinking of removing the cover and re-torquing the bolts but struggled tightning them without the engine turning over. I ended up putting it in gear and having someone hold the rear brake to tighten, but it wasnt the best. Is there a way to block the cam chain sproket to get it torqued well?

Don't worry, if the bolt comes out you'll know it before it comes all the way out and goes through the motor. First it will make an awful noise as it rubs against the head cover and then it will wear a nice hole in the head cover about 1.5" in diameter! I've seen it happen (and gave the guy some magic metal on the side of the trail ?)