Sign in to follow this  

Colorado Wilderness bill, 700,000 acres threatened in Co.

Where is she wanting more wiwrdernisps? what areas?

Also, I am so G** D*** F****** sick and tired of A** H*** politicians tieing "wilderness protection" to their anti oil and gas bullshit.

They are two TOTALLY SEPARATE ISSUES ENTIRELY and these jackasses sell it to the general public like if you dont vote for this crap Exxon is going to start drilling for oil in Yellowstone national park.

Here is the bill HR2420 link with proposed wilderness areas. Coming to a forest near you. hope it works. Degettes district is Denver. This was tried last year. They wont give up.

Notice the definition of wilderness from the wilderness act of 1964. It must be UNTRAMMELED by man. No roads, powerlines, wells, gas piping. Are the areas proposed Untrammeled by man?

http://capwiz.com/amacycle/webreturn/?url=http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c112:H.R.2420:

DEFINITION OF WILDERNESS

© A wilderness, in contrast with those areas where man and his own works dominate the landscape, is hereby recognized as an area where the earth and its community of life are untrammeled by man, where man himself is a visitor who does not remain. An area of wilderness is further defined to mean in this Act an area of undeveloped Federal land retaining its primeval character and influence, without permanent improvements or human habitation, which is protected and managed so as to preserve its natural conditions and which (1) generally appears to have been affected primarily by the forces of nature, with the imprint of man's work substantially unnoticeable; (2) has outstanding opportunities for solitude or a primitive and unconfined type of recreation; (3) has at least five thousand acres of land or is of sufficient size as to make practicable its preservation and use in an unimpaired condition; and (4) may also contain ecological, geological, or other features of scientific, educational, scenic, or historical value.

Edited by Colorado Kid

Here is the bill HR2420 link with proposed wilderness areas. Coming to a forest near you. hope it works. Degettes district is Denver. This was tried last year. They wont give up.

Notice the definition of wilderness from the wilderness act of 1964. It must be UNTRAMMELED by man. No roads, powerlines, wells, gas piping. Are the areas proposed Untrammeled by man?

http://capwiz.com/amacycle/webreturn/?url=http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c112:H.R.2420:

DEFINITION OF WILDERNESS

© A wilderness, in contrast with those areas where man and his own works dominate the landscape, is hereby recognized as an area where the earth and its community of life are untrammeled by man, where man himself is a visitor who does not remain. An area of wilderness is further defined to mean in this Act an area of undeveloped Federal land retaining its primeval character and influence, without permanent improvements or human habitation, which is protected and managed so as to preserve its natural conditions and which (1) generally appears to have been affected primarily by the forces of nature, with the imprint of man's work substantially unnoticeable; (2) has outstanding opportunities for solitude or a primitive and unconfined type of recreation; (3) has at least five thousand acres of land or is of sufficient size as to make practicable its preservation and use in an unimpaired condition; and (4) may also contain ecological, geological, or other features of scientific, educational, scenic, or historical value.

I totally agree with what you are saying. I just spent my senior year of college studying the history of the wilderness movement in the US for my history degree. Not because I am a die hard supporter of wilderness "protection" but because I wanted to have more knowledge on the subject as I help in efforts to stop areas from being closed to access. Along the lines of know your enemies I guess.

What I came across in my research is the people who want more wilderness ignore the wording of the wilderness act that you quoted by calling it the "pristine myth" and saying that none of the land in this country is truly pristine and untouched by man. They will make the obvious statement that land left to nature will be reclaimed by nature which is true. That is how wilderness areas have been designated in the eastern parts of the country that had long been "trammeled" by man by the time the wilderness bill had been passed. This tactic can then be used to claim that any area can me designated wilderness because over time it will heal itself. These people will go to any length to close land to recreational access that they don't approve of and they have taken enough.

I hear Ya. Then close it to all users if it needs to be protected. Not just one user group. Over time hiking and Horses cause as much damage as a motorcycle tire.

I am all for protecting the environment, but enough is enough. I have been mountain biking on the front range a fair amount this year, and I get so pissed when the hikers give me that superior snarl and turn up their noses. Why aren't they hiking in the freaking wilderness areas? I think they would attack me with a walking stick if I was on my dirtbike. :smirk: