1997 Yamaha XT 350 Oil Leak

I have a 1997 XT 350 that started leaking oil on the top of the engine case where the right side cover meets the main case. I bought a new gasket but I was hoping for some input before I starting taking things apart. I am mechanically inclined but I don't want to get in over my head without realizing it. Here are my questions:

1) Do I need any special tools to get the job done?

2) Is there anything I need to do before during or after this process that I should know about before I find myself wishing I had done something.

3) How hard is this gasket to change?

4) Do I have to do anything other than put the gasket in and tighten everything back up?

Again, this is a 1997 Yamaha XT 350 and the gasket I am wanting to change is the one on the right hand side of the bike (the same one as the kick start, decompression thing, etc.).

I have a 1997 XT 350 that started leaking oil on the top of the engine case where the right side cover meets the main case. I bought a new gasket but I was hoping for some input before I starting taking things apart. I am mechanically inclined but I don't want to get in over my head without realizing it. Here are my questions:

1) Do I need any special tools to get the job done?

2) Is there anything I need to do before during or after this process that I should know about before I find myself wishing I had done something.

3) How hard is this gasket to change?

4) Do I have to do anything other than put the gasket in and tighten everything back up?

Again, this is a 1997 Yamaha XT 350 and the gasket I am wanting to change is the one on the right hand side of the bike (the same one as the kick start, decompression thing, etc.).

1- just whatever size allen/sockets. I remember them using all allen head bolts. If so, then you're talking a 5mm, if bolts with a hex head, then 8mm socket.

2- Drain the oil, pull the oil filter. Remove the oil line from the case. Don't lose the gasket washers.

3- not hard at all.

4- be sure to carefully scrape off all the old gasket material., don't gouge the cases. I use a really sharp carving chisel normally used for woodworking.

5- while you're there, adjust the clutch adjustment in the center of the pressure plate: (refer to this drawing) http://www.yamaha-motor.com/partviewer/default.aspx?ls=sport#/Yamaha/XT350J_-_1997/CLUTCH/XT350J_(1997_MOTORCYCLE)/CLUTCH_(XT350J_-_1997)

- loosen the cable all the way.

- loosen the locknut # 18

- screw the screw in #16 (or out) until the lever that the engine end of the clutch cable #22 lines up with the mark on the case when you take all of the slack out of it. (removing slack would be to push it until it touches the same direction it goes when you pull the clutch lever. It will make sense when you do it. Be sure to retighten the locknut. #18.

You can use a light coating of Yamabond4 or 5 on the gasket. Avoid silicone gasket maker.

6- Refer to this diagram: http://www.yamaha-motor.com/partviewer/default.aspx?ls=sport#/Yamaha/XT350J_-_1997/OIL_PUMP/XT350J_(1997_MOTORCYCLE)/OIL_PUMP_(XT350J_-_1997)

there is a screen at the bottom of the engine that should be checked once in a while #11 in the diagram. Check it while apart, and again after about a week of riding, it will collect all the crud that may be left in the engine.

Be sure to replace all of the o'rings and gaskets, and use a new filter as well. This would be a great time to cut over to a quality synthetic motor oil made for motorcycles. I use Mobil1 10W-40 Racing 4T, available in any AutoZone store. Spec is JASO-MA because your clutch is lubricated with it. No car oil.

Also, vent the air out of the oil system using the bleed bolt. #22 on the second picture. With that much off, you'll have a lot of air in the system, and it needs to be bled every time the oil filter is changed. Air locks in the oil system are less than good. You loosen the bolt, start the engine, then pull the bolt, let the air get out, then put it back in. It makes a mess. That's what they make Gunk for.

Here's a link to a free download manual. It will make sense when you get there.

http://www.carlsalter.com/motorcycle-manuals.asp

Have fun....

Thank you soooo much! That is just the information I was looking for!

You're welcome. tell us how it went.

I have a 1986 XT 350 and I have the same oil leak problem but on the left side. Good thing I found this thread.