Brand new 09 won't start

Bought a brand new 09 YZ450F today, got her home tried to start her and nothing...

fuel is on,

tried with and without "cold start" knob,

has gas,

tried blipping the throttle but the manual says not to,

don't know where else to go with this, the bike is brand new shouldn't have issues but my foot is sore from kicking it like 100 times.. I'm thinking maybe the dealership had old gas in the tank, don't know what do you all think?

does the bike do anything when you are kicking it at the compression stroke. does the exhuast smell of gas, and backfires etc? try it whith the choke on for one kick then the chock and hot starter if nothing call the dealer and explain.

Mine was a bear to start when new as they all seem to be. It will get better once you get a couple hours on the motor. Put fresh gas in it and pull the pilot and make sure it's clean.

i tried it again this morning with the same results. The only thing i'm noticing is that there's gas dripping out of the clear breather tubes. Every now and then when i kick it over it will give me a hint of a sputter like it's going to start, but nothing.

If the fuel smells stale at all, I would try that first.

I know that the manual says this and that about the throttle, but the fact is that my '06 will probably not ever start cold if I did not give it three good shots of fuel from the accelerator pump. 3 full twists of throttle on the cold engine, and if it isn't lit in 2 kicks afterwards it gets another one. They are set up fairly lean at idle for a number of good reasons, and they just need more juice to get going when cold.

The gas dripping sounds like something has settled in the float needle. Often times this clears up on its own.

Obviously, if you can't get it to run, you need the dealer to look at it.

Don't waste your time worrying about the fuel, just drain it and start with fresh gas.

Pull the seat off and ensure the air filter tract is clear, trun in the pilot screw all the way and back out to factory specs (1.5 out). Back out idle speed screw and then turn in until just a turn or two after initial contact. ensure choke and hot start plungers are seating when closed.

Pull your plug, kick it over to ensure you're getting spark, then make sure its put back in place with the ignition coil on tight.

Should fire from there.

Edited by buggsz24

Took her to the dealership, they finally got her started I guess when cold you have to use the throttle to start, except the manual specifically says not to

You DO NOT have to use the throttle to start, if you do the set up is wrong.

You DO NOT have to use the throttle to start, if you do the set up is wrong.

As you are actually kicking, you should not twist the throttle open, and THAT is what the manual says. But if you don't prime it with the accelerator pump, you're going to get a lot more exercise than you planned on. None of them that are set up correctly start any differently than that.

Just to put what Gray said in layman's terms, on a cold engine you should twist the throttle two or three times and then kick it with with the throttle closed. This primes the motor. It's comparable to when you start your lawnmower you have to push that little bulb several times to prime the motor.

the manual doesn't specify when not to use the throttle, it just says not to. never mentions anything about priming with throttle before hand either. Anytime i have a question on my bike, most people are like "what's the manual say?" and in cases like thins i followed the manual to a T and that is wrong.?

Damnit all I say... anywho, I switched from my LTR450 quad to this dike, anything special i should know that should be considered? Like for quads everyone pulls the lid off on the airbox and pulls the silencer out, what's the usual with these beasts?

the manual doesn't specify when not to use the throttle, it just says not to.
Quoting now from the '09 manual, page 1-9:
Do not open the throttle while kicking the kickstarter crank. Otherwise, the kickstarter crank may kick back.
(emphasis mine)

You are correct, however, that it fails to mention priming the engine.

I own a 09 yz450 and it fires up first or 2nd kick everytime and I don't prime it.

Every bike is different. My 09 likes 2 or 3 twists when cold. You have to find what works best for YOUR bike and stick to the routine.

Every bike is different. My 09 likes 2 or 3 twists when cold. You have to find what works best for YOUR bike and stick to the routine.

This is very true. My 09 was a b!tch to start when it was brand new all stock. After my mods, jetting and adjusting the carb, it is now all good. My mechanic did have to adjust the carb 4 times until we got it to where I was happy. I was having a hard time starting it when the bike went on its side or flamed out.