Sign in to follow this  

Acerbis fuel tank/choke knob issue

Has anyone installed the Acerbis fuel tank on an '06 KLX250s? Easy swap except the choke knob is right behind the fuel valve and line and there is not enough room to pull it out! Any tips on a way to get around this?

Thanks.

the knob on mine hit but just passes by if you pull it out and slighty forward. Many have just filed or cut a flat on one side of the knob. I didn't see it as a big deal.

My biggest complain with the tank was it carry's more fuel weight forward on a bike that already has too much front weight bias (IMHO), I could feel it in the handling, but if you need the fuel it's acceptable. The other gripe is the fuel gets trapped in the wings and you have to ride up a bank or tip the bike around to access it when you run out. I also have a clarke tank I like better but kept the acrebis for longer rides.

Thanks!

The stock tank is great for local rides so I only plan to use this biggie for remote long distance routes. The ride I'm planning needs a fuel range of up to 250 km.

I came up with a solution that might work.. made a rubber bushing out of 1/4" fuel hose, slid it under the rear mounting bolt to raise the tanks rear about 1/3" and that is enough to pull out the choke knob.

Thanks!

The stock tank is great for local rides so I only plan to use this biggie for remote long distance routes. The ride I'm planning needs a fuel range of up to 250 km.

I came up with a solution that might work.. made a rubber bushing out of 1/4" fuel hose, slid it under the rear mounting bolt to raise the tanks rear about 1/3" and that is enough to pull out the choke knob.

Great solution. I took the dremel tool to the choke handle, and actually like it better that way as it's easier to grab under the tank. Some guys have also used some extra tubing in the tank to get at fuel in the wings, and/or have installed fuel pump.

Another distance tip is don't over jet the bike, you can lose 10 mpg pretty easy trying to jet it for power with some of the internet advise.