Sign in to follow this  

Making an 07 DRZ 400 street legal in Cali.

So I just picked up an 07 DRZ 400 in hopes to make it street legal in California. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Anything helps!:thumbsup:

Which model? E, S, SM? Need more info. Also, paperwork? Generally you need a trail back to the original purchaser as a first step. The California model also has extra pollution stuff

Only the S and SM, and in CA,,, there is no legal way to convert a non OEm street legal bike to legal status

^^^ what he said. The California DMV goes by VIN number only. Doesn't matter what you do to the bike, it will never be street legal here.

^^^ what he said. The California DMV goes by VIN number only.

Plus the DMV checks to make sure that there is a DOT/EPA on-highway emission sticker present.

Well i just looked up the vin and its a DR-Z400E.....Man now I'm disappointed oh well I got a sweet bike for a great price! Thanks Guys for your help!

buy a used S model frame on E bay and do a swap

take it to AZ

This.....

buy a used S model frame on E bay and do a swap

.....or this.

Pretty much the only way.

Careful on the E-Bay frames. I have been looking and they all end up being salvaged or worse insurance write-offs which can never be registered. If you buy a used frame be sure to request the VIN and run a check first.

Careful on the E-Bay frames. I have been looking and they all end up being salvaged or worse insurance write-offs which can never be registered.

Umm, no, or at least not in the several states I have titled salvage title bikes.. AK, OR, SC, TX to name the last 10 years.

Can you cite the state laws, or code that you believe restrict you from registering a bike with a current title marked salvage? Have you been turned away when trying to do this? If so, what agency, state and specially was said as to why?

Since we are talking about CA in this thread.. Here is the "How To" resurrect and register a "salvage title" vehicle in CA

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/pubs/brochures/howto/htvr4.htm

Thanks

Well i just looked up the vin and its a DR-Z400E.....Man now I'm disappointed oh well I got a sweet bike for a great price! Thanks Guys for your help!

Wow, you should've done just a bit of research before buying a bike...

to me having a non legal dirt bike is almost worthless, maybe sell it and buy a ''S'' version.

Wow, you should've done just a bit of research before buying a bike...

to me having a non legal dirt bike is almost worthless, maybe sell it and buy a ''S'' version.

Hate to say it, but I agree with Ron.....had a non-plated bike and could only ride it in OHV parks. Not anywhere near the fun of just going where ever your nose points you. Sold the Kawi, got the Zed and am happy as hell!

• Like 1

I wrote salvaged or worse . Salvaged can be registered but when i said worse like an insurance write off, those can never be registered again. Dont know the law code but just ask the CHP or California dmv.

I wrote salvaged or worse . Salvaged can be registered but when i said worse like an insurance write off, those can never be registered again. Dont know the law code but just ask the CHP or California dmv.

Sorry still not correct.. An "insurance write off" is a salvage title, and yes they can be registered again.. Follow the link provided above, it walks you through the procedure.

Having done this... Im not guessing.

Sorry still not correct.. An "insurance write off" is a salvage title, and yes they can be registered again.. Follow the link provided above, it walks you through the procedure.

Having done this... Im not guessing.

He would have the additional problem of the numbers not matching the paperwork. Again, not a big deal. However, I think the combination of the salvage title and new engine number would make an antennae go up at the DMV. I'm sure it 'can be done', but I sure as hell wouldn't try it. It wouldn't be worth the additional grey hairs to me.

He would have the additional problem of the numbers not matching the paperwork. Again, not a big deal. However, I think the combination of the salvage title and new engine number would make an antennae go up at the DMV. I'm sure it 'can be done', but I sure as hell wouldn't try it. It wouldn't be worth the additional grey hairs to me.

They wont bat an eye,, New motors are common place, bike, car, truck.

The CHP (CHP in CA, state inspector in other states i've done this in) will take a close look at the paperwork.. proof of ownership for the "bike" and motor if different, ect..

DMV folks are state employed robots,, they need to see the proper paperwork and procedures followed.

• Like 1