Sign in to follow this  

How did the CR80 rate in the 1996?

I'm picking it up next week, it has fmf gold series 2 fatty pipe with powercore 2 silencer, v force reeds, and a wiesco pro-lite. I was allowed to test it out (buying it second hand) and that thing is FAST.

Nice, should be a fun little bike. I had an 85 CR80 when I was a kid and that thing was like a bat out of hell!

Nice, should be a fun little bike. I had an 85 CR80 when I was a kid and that thing was like a bat out of hell!

Yeah I know! Talk about lowend. When the band hits it wheelies without even me wanting it to!

dunno but i had a 94 that was a great bike, spend some time with the fork and shock and you should be set.

Good find, the 96 to 2002 are the same and then only a couple differences for 03-04 (tank mount, tank and shrouds, 85cc vs 82cc, and shape of the side number plates) and the 05-07 ((chenges from 04-05)flat slide carb vs round slide, location of rear brake reservoir, exhaust flange). They are a solid bike and parts from 96-07 will interchange (except those listed). I've had quite a few 96 and ups, building a 2005 right now.

Jim

Cool. And I already played with the shocks and it feels great.

i'm stupid, the 94 had a conventional fork, your bike was the first year honda put inverted forks on the cr80, don't know much about those, but either way, once you get the suspension set up the 80's are FUN.

i'm stupid, the 94 had a conventional fork, your bike was the first year honda put inverted forks on the cr80, don't know much about those, but either way, once you get the suspension set up the 80's are FUN.

Hell yeah. Fast too.

The kid I'm buying it from has no idea of what's been done to it. The bike is a whore, it's had like 10 owners. (I'll be the last:D)

All he knew was that it had v-force reeds and a wiesco pro-lite. He didn't even know it had an fatty pipe lol.

Hey one more thing, I never checked the front wheel diameter, but I have a pic of the bike. I'm wondering if it's an expert or not.

(Yes, I know it's dirty, VERY DIRTY, and the gas tank needs new graphics, don't pay attention to that.)

IMG-20110703-00036.jpg

Can anyone tell me if that is an expert or not? Are their any color differences or something? The graphics are not original btw.

Front wheel looks like a 17" (CR80R). The RB had the 19". The way I try to tell from pics is where the tire is at on the forks, usually the RBs will be at or slightly above where the fork seals are. The R will be below. It isn't an exact science, but when all you have is a pic, it works. These bikes are great, maintain the motor and with new bearings, they are like a new bike.

The difference in the CR80R and CR80RB is size. The CR80RB had a 19" front wheel and a 16" rear wheel. Due to the bigger rear wheel, it had a slightly longer swingarm and slightly longer rear brake line. With the larger diameter tire, it had different gearing. On the main Honda 2-stroke page there is a sticky on the top called "Honda 2 Stroke - Model Year changes" that links to motoera. That has a lot of info and you can compare the two for minor differences.

Congrats

Jim

Edited by jump6pack
adding more info

Front wheel looks like a 17" (CR80R). The RB had the 19". The way I try to tell from pics is where the tire is at on the forks, usually the RBs will be at or slightly above where the fork seals are. The R will be below. It isn't an exact science, but when all you have is a pic, it works. These bikes are great, maintain the motor and with new bearings, they are like a new bike.

The difference in the CR80R and CR80RB is size. The CR80RB had a 19" front wheel and a 16" rear wheel. Due to the bigger rear wheel, it had a slightly longer swingarm and slightly longer rear brake line. With the larger diameter tire, it had different gearing. On the main Honda 2-stroke page there is a sticky on the top called "Honda 2 Stroke - Model Year changes" that links to motoera. That has a lot of info and you can compare the two for minor differences.

Congrats

Jim

Haha yeah man, I already checked that out.

It doesn't matter to me, the bike sits really high so its fine. When I get it, it's gonna get a top end rebuild, new crank bearings, new graphics, and new pro tapers.

Congrats

Jim

Haha yeah man, I already checked that out.

It doesn't matter to me, the bike sits really high so its fine. When I get it, it's gonna get a top end rebuild, new crank bearings, new graphics, and new pro tapers.

I know this is a kind of old post but check these shootouts from 1994 and 1998, should give you an idea of how the little CR fared in those days. Daves tests and articles is a pretty cool site with a ton of old MX tests. Really fun reading.

http://davestestsandarticles.weebly.com/uploads/4/8/4/5/4845046/_dirt_bike_october_1994_honda_cr80_kawasaki_kx80_suzuki_rm80_yamaha_yz80.pdf

http://davestestsandarticles.weebly.com/uploads/4/8/4/5/4845046/__dbikemay98cr80kx80rm80tm80yz80.pdf