Sign in to follow this  

Help removing swing arm pivot bolt on 06 RM250

Hi guys, I cannot seem to get the swing arm pivot bolt out. The shock is removed and the linkage is disconnected. The bike is brand new so I don't know why this is so hard but I have been hammering the damn thing with a punch and only got it to move about an inch. I sprayed PB blaster inside and it isn't helping. Am I missing something here? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

how much run time is on the bike? I know you said brand new but nothings ever brand brand new.

It seems like to me that it is seized in there. I had the same problem on my ATV. from the time I took the swing arm off to the time of seizure was only 12 hours of run time. it took me 3 days of hammering, heating, dunking, and the end result was me using reciprocating saw and chopped the sucker off.

I have heard of only a few people getting it out once it is seized. and they used a hydrolic press.

Heat up the metal surrounding the bolt till the point where its almost red, then hit the bolt with freeze spray. The bolt will shrink from the cold and the surrounding metal will expand from the extreme heat.

how much run time is on the bike? I know you said brand new but nothings ever brand brand new.

It seems like to me that it is seized in there. I had the same problem on my ATV. from the time I took the swing arm off to the time of seizure was only 12 hours of run time. it took me 3 days of hammering, heating, dunking, and the end result was me using reciprocating saw and chopped the sucker off.

I have heard of only a few people getting it out once it is seized. and they used a hydrolic press.

The bike has 20 minutes on it, but it was also sitting in a garage for five years before those 20 minutes. I got it to move an inch but that was after about 30 minutes of smacking it with a punch and a hammer.

ya my banshee's moved about an inch and a 1/4 total and it would do that back and forth all day but never further.

I would try an air hammer to jar it loose. I tried on my bike with no success but every bike is different.

Keep useing the PB that was how i got mine freed up on my 500, spray it at 4 points, at both ends and at the swingarm pivot points. If you can get it too move an inch keep working it back and forth and give it a spray each time

PB blaster is good for this problem. Like yathump said, you moved it and inch now go back the other way and keep soaking it in PB. The bolt sticks in the sleeve located in the center cases, and/or in the swingarm bearing sleeves. If you have an air hammer, it could be your best tool for these stubborn conditions.

I don't to come off as a d**k, but make sure it's not hitting the rear brake pedal as you're trying to remove it.

I don't to come off as a d**k, but make sure it's not hitting the rear brake pedal as you're trying to remove it.

LOL! I was thinking the same thing!:thumbsup:

I think we have all forgot the brake pedal was on that side of the bike at least once in our life :thumbsup:

I think we have all forgot the brake pedal was on that side of the bike at least once in our life :thumbsup:

LOL most definitely

Happened to me lastweek, during teardown and regrease

Haha, believe me everything was taken off. I took the advice from here manged to get it out by soaking it in PB blaster after each time it moved. The bike is now but a frame :smirk:

tap the hole in the in the pivot bolt for a bolt on the brake side.install bolt.turn with air gun while putting pressure from opposite side.lots of pb blaster