2011 is holding up awesome

Just thought id post my thoughts about my 2011 crf250. Race MX2 intermediate. Bought new in Mid may. Has 20 hours on it. Valves are exactly what they were when I checked them when new and @ 5 hours. Bike has a FMF full exhaust, re mapped and no backfire screen. Revalved suspension. One of the best and easiest 250f's to ride. Suspension is excellent, steering dampner is very sweet. Shifting is good. I wish the spoke nipples were a bit bigger ala suzuki. Ive ridden the kawi, honda and the zuk. Honda being my fav so far. I get to ride a 2012 KTM 250 and 350 this week so im stoked about that. Honda or KTM for 2012! Im very impressed with the hondas quality!

HI MPro83

I almost went with the 2011 KTM 350, I was down to two bikes it was the KTM or the Honda CRF250R only $200 separated them OTD, I went for the lighter bike and had an 09 KTM 250XCFW, wanted to see what the Honda was all about, nice bike,

Chet

PS did you know the new Honda crf450 is noticeably lighter than the 350 KTM, that surprised me.

^ just rode a 2011 honda 450,was very impressed! i rode both ktm350 also i liked them both but the honda suspension and handling blew me away, thatwas the first honda 450 i rode since 08 and i thought that was a good bike.

Hey DeMaura

I would love to try a CRF450R, but I am afraid it will take me places on the track I don't want to go when I twist the throttle. I am liking the 250 for now, plenty of power, the other day I was going down a hill with a small jump in it, when I got over the jump, I sort of got pushed back in the seat and accidentally twisted the throttle, ALMOST got me in trouble, some call it whiskey throttle, If that's the word, a 450 then would have taken me to new routes, as for now I am enjoying the 2011 Honda CRF250R. once I get my rear spring replaced with the next step heavier, I will be doing some more suspension evaluations.

Chet

^ def dont get a 450 then, that scares me too!

Just thought id post my thoughts about my 2011 crf250. Race MX2 intermediate. Bought new in Mid may. Has 20 hours on it. Valves are exactly what they were when I checked them when new and @ 5 hours. Bike has a FMF full exhaust, re mapped and no backfire screen. Revalved suspension. One of the best and easiest 250f's to ride. Suspension is excellent, steering dampner is very sweet. Shifting is good. I wish the spoke nipples were a bit bigger ala suzuki. Ive ridden the kawi, honda and the zuk. Honda being my fav so far. I get to ride a 2012 KTM 250 and 350 this week so im stoked about that. Honda or KTM for 2012! Im very impressed with the hondas quality!

Thank you very much for the review. I plan on get an 11 in a couple monthes. The only thing that confuses me is the EFI. What do you have to do with that thing. I know it is supposed to be better but how? How much does it cost to get remapped normally?

Thank you very much for the review. I plan on get an 11 in a couple monthes. The only thing that confuses me is the EFI. What do you have to do with that thing. I know it is supposed to be better but how? How much does it cost to get remapped normally?

Well since your in the states you can just send off ur ECU for $40 bucks. Thats the beauty of EFI, it automatically adjusts for temp and altitude. I bought the honda tuner myself and bought a map and uploaded it. It made a big difference. Im very happy with it. My buddy who owns a honda shop in the interior said they have a couple 10's with crank issues. Even a beginner trail rider blew one up. He said the 2011s have been unreal. Same thing around here! Very stoked.

Well since your in the states you can just send off ur ECU for $40 bucks. Thats the beauty of EFI, it automatically adjusts for temp and altitude. I bought the honda tuner myself and bought a map and uploaded it. It made a big difference. Im very happy with it. My buddy who owns a honda shop in the interior said they have a couple 10's with crank issues. Even a beginner trail rider blew one up. He said the 2011s have been unreal. Same thing around here! Very stoked.

Ok cool. Is the ECU under the seat and easy to remove? I didnt know it would automativally adjust for the temperature. Thats cool becasue in arizona it will be 32 in the winter but then get to 115 in the summer.

Hi MxPro38

What does removing the backfire screen do? Is it the mesh on behind the air filter?

cheers

Hi MxPro38

What does removing the backfire screen do? Is it the mesh on behind the air filter?

cheers

Ya you get a new cage essentially with no wire mesh and a special flame resistent filter. Program your ECU afterwards, decent gains.

I have the 2011 250r it has 9hrs on it and is doing well... I am a bit freaked out as I found some very very fine dust in the intake boot???? is it something to worry about?

On my buddies 2011 crf he sucked dirt right through the top and bottom of the filter. It was weird. he had sand literally in his airbox and boot. Another thing is with the stock honda internals it has a velicoty stack built in. So most of the dirt will actually end up in the bottom it doesnt exactly flow straight in. We thought for sure the valves could be toast and the piston for sure. Was 100% fine. hes a high level rider too. I mean, if you wanna check your valve clearances thats pretty easy. i bet your fine. If you notice a decrease in performance put a new piston rings etc in it. Or if you have some spare time. it doesnt take that long

I have the 2011 250r it has 9hrs on it and is doing well... I am a bit freaked out as I found some very very fine dust in the intake boot???? is it something to worry about?

You should worry about it. You need to determine how the dust is getting in the air boot. If you don't, your bike will not be doing well for long. Have you removed the boot and re sealed it? The honda material used to seal the boot is not good. Also I have seen where people have not gotten the air filters seated good in Hondas resulting in dirt getting in the intake. With the tight fit it is also easy to knock dirt into boot removing the filter and puting it back in if you don't keep the air box clean.

We always reseal the air boot before the bikes are ridden. Every filter change we wipe out air box and sub frame above the air box with contac/carb cleaner before removing the filter. We remove the filter and put a twin air cover over the opening. We then use bike cleaner and low pressure pressure washer to clean airbox. Then wipe it out and remove cover and make sure intake track is clean. We then install a new filter making sure it is fully seated.

It just kills me to see people at races changing filters without cleaning the air box and not covering the air box when no filter is in it.

gyd, thanks... should I take the whole boot off clean it and reseal? I did ride once with the wire cage removed?? not sure if that was the problem. I have now put the cage back in and hope that's it... How can I reseal the boot properly? do I need to take it off?

You recon I have done and damage? I almost didn't notice the dust at first.

Edited by ds66
adding thoughts

Remove the boot clean existing contact cement and reseal with high temp silicone. Removing the screen from the filter cage should not be an issue, we do that on our bikes.

There is no way I could say weather you have any damage but, I would check your valves. I would also keep an eye on your oil filter for any evidence of gold sparkles, it will be rod thrust washers. We change the oil everytime the bike is ridden, it increases the probability that you catch any rod washer issue before you have a failure.

Hey gyd,

I have taken special care with my air filters and still finding fine dust in the air boot... you siad something about re-sealing the boot.??? can you please elaborate on what to do exactly?

Thanks

Hey gyd,

I have taken special care with my air filters and still finding fine dust in the air boot... you siad something about re-sealing the boot.??? can you please elaborate on what to do exactly?

Thanks

First remove your subframe, then remove the rubber boot that connects the airbox to the throttle body from the airbox. You will see thin contact cement like stuff was used to seal the boot to the box. Clean it from the boot and box. Re-seal the boot back to the box using some good high temp silicone. We use the black stuff you can get at any autoparts or wall mart.

I would also remove the shock because it is a lot easier to get the air boot back on the throttle body with the shock off. Once you get it connected to the throttle body you can pull subframe (un bolted) to the side and slide the shcok back in place.

gyd,

thanks I will be doing that today.. still finding very fine dust (not much, but enough to wory me). I even tried a new funnel web filter... so it has to bee the boot, hope I havent damaged the valves yet.

I took the air boot out, found more fine dust in the intake track AGAIN....???????? found that all the clamps involving the air boot area were not very tight and the seal were the intake boot claps on the air box was not sealed properly...Bloody Honda they know they have a bad rep with valves but they are not doing anything to help their cause. My bike is 4 months old with 20hr on it and I seriously doubt that I will get too many more hrs out of it after finding the dust like I did.

I am very disappointed with the quality control of such a prominent company like this one.

I knew it wasn't the way I preped my air filters because they were clean on the inside after a very dusty ride.

Is there anything I can do to my valves now to try and help them last a bit longer?

which did you like better? KTM or Honda?