Sign in to follow this  

Anyone race VCHSS or VXCS currently or in the past?

This is sort of targeted for the mid-Atlantic guys but I thought this might be a more appropriate forum to ask..

I really want to get into an upcoming race but I'm not sure the Harleywood Iron-man would be my best choice as a first race, and I can't do the aug 14th VCHSS race so that pushes me out to aug 28.

I see that VXCS also has a few races late summer. Can anyone school me on the differences between the two series? Any reason to choose one over the other?

This will be my first time racing, I'm 34yo and it's something I've always wanted to try so I'd like to see if I can hang with the 30+ C riders. I'm open to all and any advice (I have lurked on the VCHSS forum but there is not much traffic on there)

I started racing the VCHSS races last Sept and so far I have been nothing but impressed with how they are ran. Nearly everyone I met last year was very helpful, and the website gives you most of the info you need. The 30C class is a tough class, I ride with the lead guy occasionally and he is blazingly fast and very smooth on the bike. He's only been riding a little over a year and is a natural at it.

Tips- make sure your bars, including handguards, are as narrow as possible.

Skidplate is another must have (some folks argue that point, but I've gouged/dented mine on several occasions with rocks and such)

If you hear someone coming up behind you screaming and yelling, try and get out of the way ASAP. They aren't pissed off, they just want to get around you.

Don't set out to win your first race, ride as fast as your comfort level allows.

If you see one dead sexy dude on a Husqvarna smoker, with 24V plastered around it give me a shout out. I'm not smart, or very fast but I stay out of trouble at the races and will help you out as much as possible. I know a few guys in your class and would happy to introduce you to them.

This is my first season racing VCHSS in the 30+ class. I've done 2 races and finished them both with these goals: avoid injury and try to finish.:thumbsup:

There's normally only 12 guys on the "J" line and that makes the start less intimidating. I usually see 24V come by somewhere in the 20th minute of lap #1. :ride: I'm 34 and never owned or rode ditbikes before last year and I'm about as deep in it as you can be. Can't wait for the August 14 race as I hope to improve on my pair of 6th places. I live in Roanoke and don't get to ride enough, except for the trials bike.:ride: Come visit the VCHSS thread in the Regional forums. 80J

I ran the rattlesnake only once back in 07 but i agree wit GOTlabs it was done very well plus an awesome!!! trail with circle track.I normaly race SETRA and the VCHSS was done much better imo.

I started racing the VCHSS races last Sept and so far I have been nothing but impressed with how they are ran. Nearly everyone I met last year was very helpful, and the website gives you most of the info you need. The 30C class is a tough class, I ride with the lead guy occasionally and he is blazingly fast and very smooth on the bike. He's only been riding a little over a year and is a natural at it.

Tips- make sure your bars, including handguards, are as narrow as possible.

Skidplate is another must have (some folks argue that point, but I've gouged/dented mine on several occasions with rocks and such)

If you hear someone coming up behind you screaming and yelling, try and get out of the way ASAP. They aren't pissed off, they just want to get around you.

Don't set out to win your first race, ride as fast as your comfort level allows.

If you see one dead sexy dude on a Husqvarna smoker, with 24V plastered around it give me a shout out. I'm not smart, or very fast but I stay out of trouble at the races and will help you out as much as possible. I know a few guys in your class and would happy to introduce you to them.

Thanks guys, I think that VCHSS sounds like the way to go.

My bike is pretty much set....my body, well thats that's another story. No goals to win at this point just to finish and gain some knowledge. I suppose I'll try and work on dead engine starts over the next few weeks.

Being that I won't be going to the first HS for a month, should I go ahead and get my VCHSS registration out of the way early so it's one less thing to worry about?

I have raced in both the VXCS and the VCHSS in the past 2 years. I now choose to only attend the VCHSS races for many reasons. I am not trying to say one is better or worse than the other, I just think they suit different people? I started off doing mostly VXCS races because it seemed less intimidating. Now I race mostly the VCHSS ones.

Quick comparison -

VXCS C-class races are 2 hours, VCHSS C-class races are 1.5 hours.

VCHSS has many more riders in each class. Example -- at the last VCHSS race, there were 25 people in the 40-44 year old class and 28 people in the 45-49 year old class for a total of 53 people in 40-49. VXCS had 11 in the 40-49 year old class.

VXCS also has ATV's, VCHSS does not have ATV's

VCHSS uses transponders for scoring and seems to have much less issues with scoring. VCHSS also seems to get results posted much faster than the VXCS.

VXCS generally runs 1 race / month. VCHSS has more races each year.

I race the VCHSS races and i think they are great. The sandy bottom scramble would be a good first race because its not to difficult.

thanks again guys, I've registered with VCHSS and I might be at the Martinsville race but definitely at the Sandy bottom and Wild Woody races. I wish some of these were a bit further north for us NOVA yankees!

Dont miss Pipsico in November. The last 2 years, it has been my favorite. Great terrain and the weather has been great as well.

Get signed up on the forum - http://www.vchss.net - lots of good chatter and info on there. You can register early, but it will be fine to register the day of the race. Don't forget that you need a AMA registration. You can do that online or at race-day registration. You will also need a transponder. They are available at registration.

First time it looks like this --

AMA $40 yearly

Transponder $25 one-time

District 13 registration -$15 yearly

Race registration $30 - each race

D13/VCHSS Competition Card You can fill this out ahead of time and bring it to the first race. They can let you know what numbers are available for your class when you sign up on race day. They can also make some temporary numbers for you to race with. Then you get get permanent numbers for the next race. You will have a number like 34J. 1J -99J is what people in 30+C class use.

Race Registration Form - bring this to the race or just fill it out when you get there.

AMA Online Signup

List of classes

Couple of suggestions --

#1 - make sure you have barkbusters, not the plastic handguards - you need to metal bars - this is not a rule, but it probably should be.

#2 - most guys cut down the handlebars into the 29-30.5 inch range. Make sure you leave enough room to remount all controls. This it totally optional, its a personal preference, but the trail cutters do like to leave narrow openings sometimes.

#3 - Don't even worry about the dead start in the first race. The goal of the first race is just complete it. The C-class is a 1.5 hour event. That's a long time to be on the bike if you are not used to riding non-stop for that long. Don't let adrenalin get the better of you in the first 15 minutes. Pace yourself. It takes a lot of energy to recover from wrecking, picking up, and restarting. Use the energy wisely.

#4 - passing/being passed. People will come up behind you and "woowoo" or rev the engine, etc. You are not required to pull over, but its generally good practice to let faster riders by you. I tend to make less mistakes when I don't have someone pressuring me hard from behind. A good rider will find a way around you regardless. Don't stop in the trail, just ease to one side and slow a little and they will be GONE.

Good luck, have fun, be safe!

Thanks CXC!

Dont miss Pipsico in November. The last 2 years, it has been my favorite. Great terrain and the weather has been great as well.

I want to be there, I guess it will all depend on how I do in the first few races, I know it will be a humbling experience but finishing and avoiding DFL is my goal!

Get signed up on the forum - http://www.vchss.net - lots of good chatter and info on there. You can register early, but it will be fine to register the day of the race. Don't forget that you need a AMA registration. You can do that online or at race-day registration. You will also need a transponder. They are available at registration.

I'm actually am registered with both both AMA and VCHSS, I'll be sporting 12j for the rest of this season.

Couple of suggestions --

#1 - make sure you have barkbusters, not the plastic handguards - you need to metal bars - this is not a rule, but it probably should be.

#2 - most guys cut down the handlebars into the 29-30.5 inch range. Make sure you leave enough room to remount all controls. This it totally optional, its a personal preference, but the trail cutters do like to leave narrow openings sometimes.

#3 - Don't even worry about the dead start in the first race. The goal of the first race is just complete it. The C-class is a 1.5 hour event. That's a long time to be on the bike if you are not used to riding non-stop for that long. Don't let adrenalin get the better of you in the first 15 minutes. Pace yourself. It takes a lot of energy to recover from wrecking, picking up, and restarting. Use the energy wisely.

Do guys with easy buttons kick or do they use the button?

I've toyed with the idea of letting the line go at my first race and just follow everyone into turn 1.

Are there short warm up tracks at any of the races? usually it takes me a good 15 minutes to get relaxed and keep the arm pump down. Like you said I don't want to be a spaz and burn myself out in the first mile

Thanks CXC!

Do guys with easy buttons kick or do they use the button? -

I have seen guys do it both ways. It depends on how easy yours starts with the button. I dont have a button, but I would think using it would allow you to be in a better position for clutch/throttle control which is more important ... I think.... Get suited up and be at the line by 10:15 -- ask the guys on the line, they will be glad to share info/tips/etc - at least until you beat them. :p

I've toyed with the idea of letting the line go at my first race and just follow everyone into turn 1. :smirk:

yes - I did that, good idea for at least 1 race. You wont win it in turn 1, but you sure can loose it.

Are there short warm up tracks at any of the races?

- no track, but usually a small open field at the start.

:(

I ride a bike with electric and kick start and at the start of races i push the button and kick at the same time because it starts easier and faster

Chris hit it on the head with his response. My first race was Wild Woody last year, I started the bike and waited for everyone to go. It didn't take long to catch up with the pack.

Don't sweat the electric start, I think they should be outlawed:p.

The VCHSS is a great place to race, some top notch folks at the races....and a lot of sandbaggers also.

You'll probably lap me at your first race, just be gentle and don't laugh too hard. :smirk:

Hey guys,

How much experience you think someone should have before racing in a HS? I just started getting into dirt from the street this year. I'll be trying to get out to Taskers Gap as much as I can.

If you can safely navigate the bike through trails, come on out to a race and register.

There are all levels of riders and all levels of competition within each class. For most complete newbies, the hills are whats intimidating. If you are ok on hills, not scared of some rutted trail, you can probably complete a race. Then you will know how much fun you are looking forward to and have a reason to continue improving!

If you can safely navigate the bike through trails, come on out to a race and register.

There are all levels of riders and all levels of competition within each class. For most complete newbies, the hills are whats intimidating. If you are ok on hills, not scared of some rutted trail, you can probably complete a race. Then you will know how much fun you are looking forward to and have a reason to continue improving!

Come on out to a race, Blue Ridge is a great location and if BR2 is like BR1 it will be a superb course. If you can ride all the trails at Taskers without a lot of problems you will be fine. Just make sure you try to move over if someone comes up behind you yelling/screaming/revving the motor.

yo gotlabs is that you tim?

what's this taskers place you're talking about?

really need some new places to ride.

edit: oh right...ohv trail. sometimes i forget there's google. :smirk:

yo gotlabs is that you tim?

what's this taskers place you're talking about?

really need some new places to ride.

edit: oh right...ohv trail. sometimes i forget there's google. :eek:

Yeah man, it's me. If yall want to get up this way and ride, let me know. As long as it's not a race weekend, I'll be down for going out there and riding.

yeah definitely. been wanting to go back to south hill and dillwyn to do some riding too. figured it would be good practice cause it's all tight single track and well you know both hosts vchss races. bikes apart right now cause i'm getting some parts powdercoated but i'll hit you up on facebook when we're ready to come out.