Sign in to follow this  

08 Crf250x or 08 Wr250f

First bike in a long time. Trying to choose between these two bikes the CR has 200 miles on it and the WR has about 120 hours with re valved Front forks new sprockets and chain. I'm a little under 6' and about 180lbs.

They want 3200 for CRFX and 2600 for WR

Looking for smoothness for trail riding. I know Honda has had it's issues but was it resolved in this year?

Respect you guys here's opinion versus dealers?

Just going off of what private owners are telling me. Don't they have built in hour or odometer meters?

They do have odometers but they typically roll over at 99 miles for the Honda. The Yamaha one goes to at least 999 miles and it may have hours logged too.

Both are good bikes.

I'd err on the side of new bike vs. 120 hours bike. The Honda seems less used and is only $600 more. Honda valves got better in '06. Honda OEM parts prices are cheap.

I will say it again and again...never trust anything any seller tells you about a bike. Look at the bike in person and estimate how many hours it has. This comes with experience, but there are alot of things to look for. For example, a bike with 200 miles on it should look damn near new...sprockets, chain, tires, brake rotors, engine covers, frame...everything should show minimal wear. If it really has 200 miles, its by far the better deal.

footpeg wear, tie down marks on handlebars, scratches on airbox from boots, rust on exhaust, wear on bolt heads, etc.

These are things you would not expect on a 200 mile bike.

Can get a 09 leftover WR from local dealer for around 4,800.00. I'm 43 years old and am looking for a more smoother - easier to control trail bike. Quads just aren't doing it for me anymore.

Your opinions greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I have never bought a new bike...but I am cautious buying used. Its just like a car, you eat the depreciation when you get it home.

I have never bought a new bike...but I am cautious buying used. Its just like a car, you eat the depreciation when you get it home.

If that X with 200 miles were here it'd be long gone.

Having worked on both bikes, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the WR, especially at that price.

I wouldn't recommend any CRF to anyone who isn't a certified technician.

I'm looking at basically the same bikes 08 250x ($3000) and 06 wr250($2000). Which bike is going to be more reliable? Are the CRF's really high maintainence? I'm just looking for a trail bike to cruise with my son.

I'm looking at basically the same bikes 08 250x ($3000) and 06 wr250($2000). Which bike is going to be more reliable? Are the CRF's really high maintainence? I'm just looking for a trail bike to cruise with my son.

What is condition of both? If same I can't see spending the extra grand.

Lots of positives about the Honda. The lone negative is the question on valve durability. Having said that, a bike's true condition is the major determining factor, as others have stated. I'd rather buy a bike with a valve "issue" that was in pristine condition otherwise than a reliable-reputation bike that was maintained poorly.

Well said. I will have to see (and ride) them both before making that choice. Both bikes seem to have their faithful followers and positive and negative reviews. I have always been a Honda fan, but can be easily swayed if there is a better choice. I am worried that the 250x needs to run at higher revs than the wr250. I want speed and power, but I also need to be able to just hang back with my son on a crf 80.

Well said. I will have to see (and ride) them both before making that choice. Both bikes seem to have their faithful followers and positive and negative reviews. I have always been a Honda fan, but can be easily swayed if there is a better choice. I am worried that the 250x needs to run at higher revs than the wr250. I want speed and power, but I also need to be able to just hang back with my son on a crf 80.

X can become an R easily with mods. WR-F can become a YZ-F with mods too. I would very happily own either bike but would base purchase decision on price/condition/relevant mods/etc.

Check around for left overs before you decide. My local dealer has an '08 WR still. It can be had for 4k as i know the owner who bought the other '08 he had.

I saw ads recently for left over Xs as well. Not a lot more $ than used but our market for 250f offroad bikes is lower than many places.

As far as reliability i'd go WR.

I am still waiting to see and ride the 06 wr250. The seller said it wouldn't start (that's not a good sign). I found an 02 xr200 for under 1k in great shape. I rode it and it runs great. I am an older rider that wants to cruise with my kids. Is this bike going to be a waste of money? I have ridden crf450s with no problem, but I don't think I really need that much power. Plus, I really don't know if I can afford much more right now, we are also looking for a quad for my other son. Love riding, but I think I need a higher paying job to buy everything I want :smirk:

I am still waiting to see and ride the 06 wr250. The seller said it wouldn't start (that's not a good sign). I found an 02 xr200 for under 1k in great shape. I rode it and it runs great. I am an older rider that wants to cruise with my kids. Is this bike going to be a waste of money? I have ridden crf450s with no problem, but I don't think I really need that much power. Plus, I really don't know if I can afford much more right now, we are also looking for a quad for my other son. Love riding, but I think I need a higher paying job to buy everything I want :smirk:

Get the XR then. You don't hafta have latest/greatest just to putt around with your kids. It'll free up money for their protective gear!

Get the XR then. You don't hafta have latest/greatest just to putt around with your kids. It'll free up money for their protective gear!

+1. Someones Sig. says "it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast than to ride a fast bike slow"

BTW XR's are great bikes.