Aftermarket Airfilter Recomendations

The glue seam separated on my stock filter so I'm looking for suggestions for a replacement.

Uni, Twin Air, No-Toil, stock.....the usual suspects.

I actually purchased a pre-oiled No-Toil because it was cheap but I felt like I was making a mistake. Kind of felt like oiling up a filter was a required ritual Haven't installed yet. Any thoughts

I've ways ran the Uni on past bikes but maybe something is better these days.

Stick with OEM. I'm on my third OEM filter and ditched my Twin-Air filter long ago because I couldn't trust the seal it made after a while. The OEM filter is the best in terms of filtering and with 4 strokes, it increases engine life.

OEM is definitely the best filter. I had about 5 different filters (UNI) on hand at all times and would just rotate threw them so I always ran a clean filter. If I knew it was going to be super dusty, I always relied on the OEM filter.

I did not like the Twin-Air for the 450x.

Preoiled NoToils are the way to fly and in super dusty conditions a prefilter works great. They can be washed in the washing machine with some Oxyclean and Tide, re-oiled, then reused a few times. Any commerical filter oil will work like Fab1, UNI, TwinAir, etc. I like to use the backfire screen on 4-strokes too because it prevents fires and also helps performance of the filiter foam.

Keep in mind that the air filter only traps big stuff like peices of grass or leaves. The oil on the filter is what actually traps the dust and dirt. My beleif is it doesnt matter too much what flter you run, any filter will catch the big stuff. The oil you use on your filter is more important. You want something that is really really sticky.

About the backfire screen.. Back in 1998 when the YZ400f hit the track the Yamaha Factory Team and Doug Henry did alot of testing with the screen in and with the screen out. They discovered removing the screen didnt help anything and was a waste of time.

I've heard horror stories of bikes catching on fire after removing the screen.

I like TwinAir filters but will be trying a DT1 filter next time. Admittedly, I have yet to use one but they look VERY nice- with a neoprene-like sealing surface and quality construction. Also & for what it's worth- I removed my backfire screen as I use NoToil oil which is non-flammable (and bio-degradable). I love that stuff!

Removing the backfire screen makes an immediate and noticeable difference in throttle response at idle; crawling speed. Combined with the pink wire mod, it's cool. It's a 5% change at best.

But, you must use non-petrochemical air filter oil to prevent fire. If your bike is jetted well, including the apump, chances are pretty slim you will back fire. But it can happen, and it can still cause a fire even with a non-petro filter oil.

I use a Twin Air filter and PJ1 cleaner and oil. I like the Twin Air because it is slightly smaller than stock making it easier to install on my bike and it has a neoprene-like seal. I always use a liberal amount of grease on the sealing ring to get a good tight seal.

Is this a new type of TwinAir? I've been using them for over 20 yrs and never seen them with a neoprene material..it's always the standard open-cell foam stuff (like the rest of the filter, just a little finer/more dense). I like the quality of TwinAir and will stick with them if they make something like that..