Antigravity Batteries Giveaways: Winners Announced! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

1996-2004 XR400 R Footpeg Mounts - Mods / Issues?

Does anyone out there have any feedback on how the XR4's footpeg MOUNTS (not the footpegs) have held up over time? Specifically:

Has anyone found an aftermarket solution for a stronger mount for the right or left?

Has anyone broken a mount on the above year XR4's and modded the mount at the frame on either side?

Thanks.:smirk:

No problems with mine. But, I'm only about 165lbs and only on occasion will I do Larocco's leap :smirk: Dont want the guys on MX bikes to feel too stupid. :p

I've seen replacement bolts of a harder grade for sale though. The other side is welded on obviously so it would take a hell of a hit to rip it off or break the weld.

it couldnt have been a big issue if the design was not changed from 96-04. mine is a 97 and still has the original mounts after 14 years of use.

I think this was a bigger problem on the XR650R.

although... I have seen (on rare occasion) the harder replacement bolts like "michigan400" talked about, I have never seen any foot pegs broken off a XR400.

Perc

Don't remember what year it was, but the right mount did get beefed up from what it was originally.

You might bend one or twist the frame tube it mounts to, but I don't remember hearing of one ever broken during the type riding the bike was designed for. If I was a 200 lb. MXer landing doubles with it, I might be concerned.

The left one breaks because of stress caused by the kick stand. It's not wise to raise the rear wheel by leaning the bike onto the kickstand. The frame is thin in this area and it will crack spreading to the footpeg mount.

My buddies frame cracked right in front of his left footpeg mount, Where the weld meets the frame tubing. Peg mount portion twisted down. Will take a pic and post tomorrow. This happened on day two of the La-barstow2Vegas, "riding the type of terrian this bike was designed for". And to add to it as we we're being fueled up in Sandy Valley, we we're checking our fix (hose clamp and quick steel epoxy putty) a lady walks over and asks "is that a xr400?"... "That was a common problem with 400 and ..(?).." Yes a lady! She was obviosly there as a chase to one or some of the racers.

Once we were home we talked to some folks who rode or raced in the xr4's hay day and heard acouple of stories but not all were left mount problems. The story goes the tubing on the left frame rail is too thin and also prone to rot. The right has low grade hardware and the mount is not stout enough (which when not locked down, will break. one of mine was bent) but non the less it happened to one of us so i reenforced mine while i had the motor out last week.

by the way White Brothers and Pro Circuit made HD PEG MOUNTS for the right side. Hence suggest there was a need for it.

heres two links to other convo's on tt about peg mounts...

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=880531&page=4&highlight=hd+peg

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=553086&highlight=hd+peg

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=722007&highlight=hd+peg

Edited by aDayintheDirt

I have had the hinge pins that hold the foot pegs to the mount "egg" out the pin hole in the mount. This caused the foot peg to hang down and wobble.

The right mount is replaceable no problem, just bolt on a new or good used one and up grade the bolts.

On the left side I had to first hammer out the pin that holds on the foot peg because it was really bent. I then ground out the insert in the end of the mount that the pin goes through. I had to grind it because I couldn't get a drill bit to center in the "egg" out hole. I then turned down a piece of solid bar to the OD of the insert hole I now had in the end of the left mount.Then I drilled the center out of the new insert same size as the foot peg pin and trimed to size.

That done I trial fit it several times with the new insert on the pin and through the foot peg to get it level and straight. I tacked it in place, then removed the pin and foot peg to finish welding it in.

After welding I ran the correct drill bit through again and used a hardened bolt with a lock nut to reassamble the foot peg. I used a little never sez on the bolt so it would hinge well.

I did not reuse the stock foot peg pins, they are soft, had bent and almost worn through. This has worked really well for a year now with no signs of egging out again.

I had a trophy truck clip my right foot peg off in Calamajue Wash. The immediate fix was a screwdriver zip tied to the frame and bash plate. Not a good long term fix. Replaced with a new stock mount and no problems since.

I had a trophy truck clip my right foot peg off in Calamajue Wash. The immediate fix was a screwdriver zip tied to the frame and bash plate. Not a good long term fix. Replaced with a new stock mount and no problems since.

:smirk: The trick is to stay out in front of them I guess.... I think this is not the first time I've heard of this encounter???

So hey guys...thanks for all the info. I'm kinda thinking that the best thing to do is to have a spare honda part for the right mount, and it almost seems like if you run a stronger / beefier mount then you are subjecting the frame to more stress. Exactly why I run a stock Honda shift lever and not a trick aftermarket / stronger one. I'd rather have the shifter bend then tear up the spline on the gear box.

So is the concensus that nobody makes an aftermarket right or left mount for the XR4 currently? Wasn't clear if Pro Circuit does etc... Taking a look now.

So is the concensus that nobody makes an aftermarket right or left mount for the XR4 currently? Wasn't clear if Pro Circuit does etc... Taking a look now.

You can pick up some grade 8 bolts at a local hardware store fro the right side.

If you want to improve the left mount... you'll have to weld more supports on it.

Perc