Sign in to follow this  

2010 KTM vibration after new top end

I just had a shop rebuild the top end on my 2010 KTM 250xcfw. We went a 2 millimeters over sized Wisco piston. The bike runs great and has great bottom end but there is now a strong vibration in the handle bars. I even use Flex bars which havent changed from before the rebuild. Any thoughts on what could be causing the vibration?

2mm oversized is a large difference. Any big bore kit I have installed without balancing the crank to match the new piston has resulted in more vibrations than stock.

But this simple" installed a 2mm oversized piston" has me a bit worried. Did the shop have the cylinder bored out 2mm larger then replate professionally? Or did they just bore and install a new 2mm oversized piston into your now new ticking time bomb?

Please elaborate.

The cylinder was bored them replated by the replating shop,A Wisco 2 mm over piston was installed. Nothing was done to the crank. I checked all the motor mounts and only found one bolt that I could tighen just slightly more than it was. I may want to find a used stock top end and go back to orginal specs. This is getting expensive cuz it cost me $920 for the first rebuild.

Why did they decide to bore out the cylinder and replate?

The larger piston and un-balanced crank is definitely your issue. I wouldn't worry about it too much though.

It was my dumb idea that I suggested to my engine builder. He did not mention that I could have this issue. The bike has much more bottom end now. I will take you're suggestion and not worry about it. This is a learning experience.

Thanks