Sign in to follow this  

CR 250 Potential Exhaust Port Bridge Problems

Two days ago I bought, unseen, what I thought was a mint 2006 CR250R. I do not know the bikes history but if it has more than 20 hours on it I would be surprised. Obviously the bike has been standing for a long time, although it did start 3rd kick.

Yesterday I took it to my mechanic to give it a once over and service the carb etc before I ride it for the first time.

Turns out the bike is a 2004 and not a 2006 as advertised, and my mechanic, who confirmed the bike is in a virtually new condition, recommended I return it to the seller and get my money back. He says this model is a problem child with the main problem being the exhaust port bridge which cracks and any attempts to weld and re-coat are not very successful. It also seems that all the CR250R are not particularity well respected bikes here, even with Honda fans.

I spoke to the seller, who is a dealer, and he genuinely seemed surprised. He offered me some cash back but is a little reluctant to take the bike back.

My question, is the exhaust bridge problem, or any other problems this model has, such a big concern that I should fight for my money back? I do not intend racing and will mostly trail ride single tracks in a dune area near my home.

A photo of the bike when I got it home.

004.jpg

There are a bunch of CR250s out there that aren't having trouble with the exhaust bridge. I wouldn't worry about that.

There are a bunch of CR250s out there that aren't having trouble with the exhaust bridge. I wouldn't worry about that.

Thanks, seemed a bit strange to me especially considering that it is a Honda.

Looks like a nice bike. Yes, CR's did suffer from exhaust bridge failure, the percentage of which, I have no idea. I'm pretty sure that it was cured by giving that area an extra 0.001" - 0.002" clearance. Check this out with some of your local guys. I do think the dealer should be giving your money back if you are not happy with the bike, or giving you compensation for it being 2 years older than it was supposed to be.

I would be upset about the two model year mix up. But I wouldn't worry one second about the exhaust bridge. I have 7 years on my original jug, and the thing is still well within service specs. If you get an aftermarket piston check the instructions to ensure if the piston requires drilling cooling holes in the area of the exhaust port. I have owned or ridden all the 250's of this era, the cr is a very unfairly bashed machine, largely due to the case reed engine, and picky carb. No big deal to work out. Look at the ktm and tm 250's they get away just fine with case reed motors.Bike looks amazing in the photo. My 250 's clutch cover looked like heck after two hours on the bike.

Problem child?! Hmmm, Ya the 06 is more desirable but the 04 is a great bike and I'm sure you'll love it. I wouldn't worry at all about the exhaust bridge personally. There are up to 10 of the 02-07's in our group at times and nobody I know has had trouble--ever.

There are a few things that make the 05-07's a little better, but I its not a deal breaker to me. The only thing I disliked about the 02-04's is the TMX carb and that is an easy fix with a PWK swap. Lastly there are too many good things to say about the 3rd gen chassis and suspension to quibble over the case reed motor having slightly less bottom end power imo.

Go ride it! :smirk:

The exhaust bridge is only a problem if you install a forged piston in the bike. Forged pistons will stick on the bridge unless you drill holes in the piston at the bridge location.

The only thing I disliked about the 02-04's is the TMX carb and that is an easy fix with a PWK swap. Lastly there are too many good things to say about the 3rd gen chassis and suspension to quibble over the case reed motor having slightly less bottom end power imo.

The '05-'07 also has the TMX, unfortunately.

Rot Boxes comment about the chassis is completely accurate. Compared to the fabled aluminum frame YZ250, the CR handles like a precision surgical instrument, the YZ handles like a Mack truck. Yes, the YZ's Kayaba SSS are a little more plush than the Showa, and the YZ engine runs better overall throughout the rpm range, but the Honda handles much, much better, has better brakes, better ergos, better build quality and better overall attention to detail. Durability is also better on the Honda, especially the transmission. This is not to say that the Honda does not have it's warts, however. The Mikuni is a poor carb selection, and the airbox design is clearly below what should be acceptable from a company of Honda's caliber.

I'm on my 5th complete gearbox on my '06 YZ265. Thats right- FIVE YZ gearboxes. I got so disgusted with the YZ transmission problem that I sent a sample of broken gears to Derek Harris at HP Bikes to be analyzed by a Doctorate level metallurgist under a scanning electron microscope. The results are not flattering to Yamaha's selection of gear material....

Address the issues that need attention on the Honda and enjoy a very good, underrated machine.

Edited by APBT

Are you saying cast pistons are better than forged?

:smirk:

"Better" is a relative term. Cast pistons don't stick on the exhaust bridge like un-drilled forged pistons tend to. In that respect, I guess you could call cast better.

how could you get the year mixed ? big frikin sticker on the front that says the year. ray charles could see it.

APBT, after the first broke tranny it would of went to the junk yard had it been my bike. you must be a dedicated fan. someone has to keep yamaha in business i suppose. lol ill see if i can get some pics up from a 15year old ktm tranny running about 50ftlb trq. could package it back up and sell as new :smirk:

how could you get the year mixed ? big frikin sticker on the front that says the year. ray charles could see it.

APBT, after the first broke tranny it would of went to the junk yard had it been my bike. you must be a dedicated fan. someone has to keep yamaha in business i suppose. lol ill see if i can get some pics up from a 15year old ktm tranny running about 50ftlb trq. could package it back up and sell as new :p

^ Really? :smirk: Hopefully I missed the punch line...

APBT, after the first broke tranny it would of went to the junk yard had it been my bike. you must be a dedicated fan. someone has to keep yamaha in business i suppose. lol ill see if i can get some pics up from a 15year old ktm tranny running about 50ftlb trq. could package it back up and sell as new :smirk:

This bike did not have the big frikin sticker :p I tried to decipher the VIN number but could not. My mechanic has now showed me how to see the year on the VIN number; better late than never I suppose.

This afternoon I will go out for my first ride; must say I'm looking forward to it.

Dude, those stickers disappear after a few years, plenty of bikes I've owned have not had the sticker on the frame.