96-01 YZ to Modern 02 + Gas Tank Conversion

Its been done before, But I'd thought I'd show you mine with the dimensions.

This is for a 05 tank. So it will be for the wider aluminium frame.

Tools you'll need

Box cutter

Hacksaw.

Some Hand files.

Center Punch with hammer.

Vice to hold it all

6.5mm Drill bit for the tank mounts.

Step Drill bit capable of drilling a 16mm hole for the rubber bushes.

Few beers and some good tunes.

S6001401.jpg

Shift the tank rubber up the frame, re-zip tie it. The lower rubber mount had to be trimmed (Razer Blade/box cutter) on the side So the tank would slide over it snug. (picture shows the radiator cages I built). Also you will need to unbolt the Plastic tab and bolt that locates the seat off your 96-01 tank and bolt it to the newer style 05 tank.

S6001409.jpg

Here are the brackets I made. From 40x40 3mm Aluminium angle. The rubber bushes with washer tube inserts are the same used on the radiators. Extra holes in the middle of the bracket are just for visual.

S6001405.jpg

Here are the dimensions for the mounting holes for the Tank.. All measuring from the TOP leading edge downwards.

Use your 6.5mm drill bit to drill the holes

Brackets.jpg

Here are the dimensions for the mounting holes for the Frame. Use your step drill at 16mm for the rubber bushes. They are bushes for the radiator mounts. I had a few spare.

Radiator Fill side (Right Side)

Fillside.jpg

Gear shifter side (Left Side)

leftside.jpg

For the lower shroud brackets you can do this (Taken from another thread) 25mm hole centers apart. I'd use a bit of smaller angle for extra strength so there is a spine, stick it in the vice for the correct angle contact to shroud guard. Like the little angle shown lower on my welded mounts. Also shows another way to mount the tank using the 05 Plastic mounts on the tank.

IMG_1393.jpg

This is how I did mine. I built Radiator cages since there is much on offer for these models. But with integrated lower shroud mounts for the newer guards. 6mm side thickness and crush tubes bolted front and rear. Shouldn't be able to wreck those babies in a hurry!

cages.jpg

Here is my mount TIG welded on and angle inline with the guard.

S6001399.jpg

I have a custom sticker kit in the works for mine. Should look sweet once its all done.

Hope this helps!! Feel free to ask any more questions.

• Like 5

In Australia I'm getting a local place to do it. $120 for the Tank and shrouds. Speedgraffix or some place like that will be cheaper for you.

You can get a 2011 front fender that fits 2 strokes. The hole pattern is slightly different on the 4 stroke guard. I think Cycra is the brand that make the F guard that fits the 2 stroke.

I got one here in the classifieds. $40 + $40 shipping. Wont find one that cheap here in Australia. At least $150 2nd hand

Best thing about it, If you mess a bracket up. Bin it and start again. 40x40 3mm thick ally angle is cheap. They are fiddly but not hard. Take your time. Measure twice, cut once.

In Australia I'm getting a local place to do it. $120 for the Tank and shrouds. Speedgraffix or some place like that will be cheaper for you.

You can get a 2011 front fender that fits 2 strokes. The hole pattern is slightly different on the 4 stroke guard. I think Cycra is the brand that make the F guard that fits the 2 stroke.

Got ya, I guess I should have checked your location.

The 2010 fender is an easy mount... I have one sitting on the shelf which is my reasoning for running it first, it just needs some new holes drilled and it will mount right up. Maybe after I run that one for a while Ill upgrade to a newer one.

Got ya, I guess I should have checked your location.

The 2010 fender is an easy mount... I have one sitting on the shelf which is my reasoning for running it first, it just needs some new holes drilled and it will mount right up. Maybe after I run that one for a while Ill upgrade to a newer one.

Go for it. I've re-drilled fenders in the past. As long as they stay on.. No problem ?

I'm thinking in the future I might run the 2010 F front fender and number plate on my 144 project. I like that euro look it gives it.

I think its def. a good look! Just be sure if you put graphics on it you call the company you decide to order from and let them know that you need the front graphic for that fender so the graphics will fit.

I ran the 2010 for about 2 months until my graphics kit came in, when I tried to fit the front fender decal it looked pretty silly so I took the fender off and put the original fender back on. I thought about trimming it but I would have had to cut through the words on the graphics.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

I realize this is an old thread but its the newest one I could find on the subject. I'm looking to put a 2002+ tank and shrouds on my 98 yz250, and I'd like to use a bigger aftermarket tank. Does anybody know if it will clear or will it be a crap shoot? Thanks!

• 5 weeks later...

Cool, my original tank is leaking around one of the shroud bolts and the shrouds are ragged looking so I figure if I'm going to replace them anyway I might as well upgrade to a bigger and newer tank while I'm at it. Worst case I'll just send the tank back I guess... It will probly be this spring before I try it but I'll post back here to pass on the info whether it works or not.

• 4 years later...
  • 7 months later...