2006 crf450r won't run without choke on

What's up everyone? Sorry for makin this my first post but this problem has been killin me the last few months an I cant figure it out. my 06 450 will only run with the choke on, if I turn it off the bike will run only if I keep the throttle open some but will backfire an run like crap other then that it will die. I have cleaned the carb an inspected all the jets an don't see any blockage or anything that could hinder the fuel from goin thru a jet, I have not removed the jets in fear of makin my problem worse lol so yea if someone can steer me in the rite direction it would be awesome!

The bike did sit for 2 years an ran great when parked, I didn't even attempt to start it with old gas or oil or plug, I changed all that before I tried. The plug is if I remember correctly an ngk iridium? It was 15 bucks an cycle parts west an the only plug they had for the 450 at that time. I did everything I would normally do before a season of riding an no problems til now.

Btw bike is completely stock no performance mods at all just werks connection skid plate an radiator savers...that's it

Edited by Renots

I didn't take it completely apart but enough to inspect the jets an they all seem to be fine, sprayed carb cleaner thru all them an had no blockage in any. the needle jet did have a Lil crud on it, Cleaned it off an no different. I looked at the hot start cable an it don't seem to be hung up on anything, back in 06 I took a nasty crash thru some whoops an it peeled the rubber off the cable but didn't effect it at all, I've ridden It like that since an no problems.

Pilot Jet is clogged.. Just buy another one at about $5.00, replace the clogged one and then clean out the old one.. Now you have a spare...

Thanks for the help!! Is this a common problem for a clogged pilot? Never had this happen before on my cr250, I pulled this carb out an was like dam this thing is huge compared to all the other toys I've had haha

Yeah, it happens. Gas usually starts to go bad after about 30-50 days. These pilots are so small it doesn't take much. After riding I usually turn the gas off and idle it or putt around until it runs out. Then, I double check by using drain screw on the lower left side of the carb. You can clean out that pilot by using a very thin piece of stranded copper wire. I am sure others have different ideas..

Pulled the pilot jet out an it was clogged in the middle, it was in there so tight I ended up screwin up the jet. Thought I wasn't gonna get it out but I did!! I'll kno tomorrow if it's back to normal. Thanks again for the help guys!!

Ok got a new pilot jet (slow jet according to Honda) an the new one is a 38, according to the guys at the Honda dealer they say it's a 38, but I pulled a 42 out of it. I didn't kno what size it was cause I thought the number was on top of the jet which I boogered up tryin to get it out, it's actually on the side of the jet an was buried under crud. My question is, should I exchange the 38 For a 42 or just put the 38 in? I think the jet will make it run lean, am I correct? I really just want to get it running for now since I'm not gonna be riding it for a while (red stickered). What do you guys think? Thanks in advance

Ok new pilot jet is in, new air filter an new gas it still doin the same thing!! I started it with the choke on an it fired first kick, Let it idle for a few mins an turned choke off an it died. I figured it might need to be cleaned out so I took it down the street just enough to keep it goin an still dies when I shift. Wouldn't start with choke on this time but acted the same other wise, I'm so lost...it ran great when parked, started it one day as I always do to keep things lubed up an this is where I'm at today. Could it be valves maybe?

The entire carb needs to be disassembled and cleaned. That same crud (it's called varnish and is the residue of evaporated gasoline) that you found in the jet is also in all of the carb body passageways, in the accelerator chamber and nozzle, and everywhere else that fuel flows through.

You can NOT clean a carb without completely taking it apart.

The entire carb needs to be disassembled and cleaned.

You can NOT clean a carb without completely taking it apart.

While this is correct, dont take the top half off the carb body from the bottom half. YOU CANNOT GET THE GASKET.

Youd have to make one...so unless your good at making gaskets..precision gaskets...take the bowl off, pull the jets the slide and all that stuff...just dont pull the carb body apart.

While this is correct, dont take the top half off the carb body from the bottom half. YOU CANNOT GET THE GASKET.

Youd have to make one...so unless your good at making gaskets..precision gaskets...take the bowl off, pull the jets the slide and all that stuff...just dont pull the carb body apart.

Thank you, I should have been specific about what to disassemble, and what to leave alone. ?

Lol too late! Wish I knew this before ? oh well that's where my small leak is commin from then, an I finally got it to run enough to please me for the day. I am gonna take it all apart an clean the crap out of it, any recommendations on how to remove the varnish?

I turned the fuel screw out just a little more from where it was at an it got better so I'm goin in the rite direction, I figure it needed more fuel cause of smaller jet so turned it little by little an it actually starts first kick an no choke ?

Thanks for all the help guys, I would've just sent it to the dealer an paid out the ass in repairs, altho I did call hb Honda today an they said 135 to completely clean an tune the carb but I'm sure it will be more cause it's the dealer haha

Some carb/choke spray, some small brushes,qtips, and clean rags, compressed air, some good tunes and a 6 pack of your favorite adult beverage and patients.... One thing at a time. Make sure you check the position of that black slider box with the wheels on the corners before removal, it is very easy to put in upside down/backwards. Also,, when you remove the accelerator pump cover there are small black O rings that can fall out. Note their position and placement. It's pretty easy just take your time..