Sign in to follow this  

break light help ( WRR )

Rode my WRR to work this morning and the break light was permanently on. Checked both levers and they are fine and not permanently engaging the break.

Any advice on what the process is for checking which sensor may or may not be faulty or how to fix the issue ( i dont know much about electrics ).

Thanks

http://download574.mediafire.com/6ry9ereetebg/umnjzzkyyey/SERVICEMANUAL.txt.pdf

here's the manual. Page 8-15.

I think it is most likely the rear brakelight switch. It is the small round thing with the spring and the rod going down to the lever. The front one is on the lever mount. The easy thing to do is be sure both switches move through their range properly. The front one has a small projection that is pushed when the lever returns, and the rear is very obvious when you look at it. You can unplug each from the harness and find out which is doing it, if you need to, but I'll stick with the rear one either hanging up and not fully going back up when you let off the brake, or needing adjustment. You hold the rear switch body and turn the plastic piece that fits into the frame, sort of screwing it up or down around the switch itself until it is properly adjusted.

As a bit of preventative maintenance, take time to look up under the rear fender and make sure your wires aren't being pinched/frayed where the two tail pieces fit together.... they can wear thru and short out in no time.

Sarah

thanks for all the replies. I dont have internet at home and didnt see them till i got back to the office this morning. Will inspect everything later today before riding home and let you know. Thanks again for the help.:smirk:

Hi, i had a look at the areas you suggested and it was actually the front break sensor switch. it doesnt seem to be the best designed piece of equipment i have ever seen. The connector with the sensor switch just sort of plugs into the back of the break pivot, but it doesnt have any sort clips or pins that hold it in place and when the break lever goes to the not engaged position it pushes the sensor out of its socket, rather than activating it. Nothing a little sticky tape and/or glue wont fix in more than a minute but I am very suprised by the poor design. Thanks for your help with this. c

Thanks for the detailed reply. Sounds like we need to keep an eye on that. Glad you got it sorted out.

Sarah

Hi, i had a look at the areas you suggested and it was actually the front break sensor switch. it doesnt seem to be the best designed piece of equipment i have ever seen. The connector with the sensor switch just sort of plugs into the back of the break pivot, but it doesnt have any sort clips or pins that hold it in place and when the break lever goes to the not engaged position it pushes the sensor out of its socket, rather than activating it. Nothing a little sticky tape and/or glue wont fix in more than a minute but I am very suprised by the poor design. Thanks for your help with this. c

It doesn't have any half-moon or rectangular projections that "pop out" into the handle perch? The one I have has a round hole on the bottom of the perch, and a semicircular projection on the switch sticks out into that hole to retain it. You could always tap the hole, and use a large diameter brass grub screw or pipe plug, and retain it with loctite.

My switch has some play in the hole, but doesn't fall out.