Sign in to follow this  

front end crooked after wreck?

So a week or so ago I ended up crashin my bike, when i picked it up it felt like it i had bent the handlebars. With the help of some forum members here I was informed that twinwall handlebars are dang near impossible to bend so I just pulled em off the clamps and re-set em and that seemed to straighten everything out. but a few days ago my bro wrecked it again, the bike then started to feel like the front wheel was pointed just slightly right when the bars were straight, i tried re-setting the bars but it didnt work this time, the bars didnt look bent but i figured id swap em out and hope they would fix it but it didnt. Im not a mechanic but the clamps and the triple clamp look good, the forks seem straight, anyone have an idea of what could be wrong?

If every thing is straight you may want to try; Loosening the pinch bolts on the axle, grab the front brake and pump the forks a few times to make sure everything is aligned and tighten the pinch bolts back up. give it a whirl and see if it helps:ride:

I did the same thing over the weekend of the 4th of July. I bent the bars and actually twisted the fork tubes in the clamps slightly. Layed he bike over once I got back to camp and put a pipe on the bent bar, its damn near where it was originally, and loosed the clamps and just re-aligned everything. The bike seems no worse for the wear, my ego on the other hand....

Easiest and least frustrating way to fix is by loosening Everything. Axle, axle pinch, upper and lower trees , and just to convince your self the handle bar pinch.

Then the traditional pull,push,pump,kick combo.

Sit on the bike if it looks straight get off pinch all bolts tight. if not you have a more serious problem, sorry.

Out on the trail I just put the front of the tire against a tree and turn it the opposite direction and bang it back straight. Once I'm back at the truck I loosen and align it the correct way

1. Loosen the front axle clamps, and the axle nut.

2. Loosen the lower triple clamp bolts.

3. Grab a handfull of front brake. Pump the forks up and down several times, pushing them as far down into the travel as you can. You'll feel the action get smoother as the tubes re-align themselves.

4. Tighten the triple clamp bolts first. Use a torque wrench. Over-tightening these bolts by even a small amount distorts the tubes slightly, which will cause the bushings to pinch as the forks compress, causing a harsh mid-stroke spike in the fork action. Over-tightening these bolts by a lot will break the clamps.

5. Tighten the axle by holding the nut and spinning the axle with a hex socket on a torque wrench. This will ensure that the axle is perfectly aligned in the forks. Always use a torque wrench. Over-tightening the axle will shorten the life of the wheel bearings.

6. Tighten the axle clamps.

This method will ensure perfect fork tube alignment, which will in turn ensure correct front wheel alignment. If the wheel and fork tubes are still mis-aligned after this, then either a fork tube or a triple clamp is bent.

It is posible for the upper and lower triple clamps to get slightly misaligned from each other.

To straighten everything out, loosen all the fasteners, including the steering stem bolt. The idea is to be able to rotate the upper and lower triple clamps relative to each other.

Then get the forks held in the upper triple clamps as loose as possible, just tight enough so that the forks wont fall through.

Put a small piece of angle iron, or an i-beam level across both fork tubes. When the forks are parallel, then the angle iron will rest on four points (two on each fork) with no wobble. It takes some time, but you can gently tap the triples into alignment so that the forks are parallel. Then carefully tighten the steering stem nut (torque to factory spec).

Thanks for all the help and replies everyone. I ended up loosinging both triple clamps, the axle nut and the axle clamps, and pumped the forks as suggested. It did help when i tightend it all up it seemed much straighter but still slightly off, so i put the front tire right next to a pole and banged the tire up against it, it now seems straight, but now the old handle bars seem bent, i guess ill go ahead and put the new ones back on and see what it feels like. Moral of the story is, never let a four wheeler guy ride your bike, even if it is your brother. lol

These guys have covered all the bases, but for an added bit of info, if you ever crash in a race and you knock the front end out of alignment you can usually get it straight again by going over a jump and slamming the front wheel down as you land. Push it into the deck so the suspension takes up its full-ish travel, this isn't obviously the safest way but it does work. If its badly out of alignment you're not doing the seals and bushes much good, but hey, points are points and you gotta finish the race . . . . .!

This technique is obviously more for moto guys.