Just Bought '04 DRZ 400E & Filled It With 87 Octane

As the title states, I just bought an '04 DRZ 400E. On the trailer ride home, I stopped to fill the tank and put in 87 Octane. Upon arriving home, I noticed a sticker on the bike that said to run 90 + Octane only. ? Any harm in running this one tank of 87 through ?

SO are you gas guys saying that running lower octanes in higher temps increases the chance of predetonation?

I usually just run 87 in my E. I figure "I'm just gunna burn it up in a matter of hours anyways".

We're about to hit our hot stretch here in the mid-south and I've got a couple of hard rides ahead of me.

I usually just run 87 in my E. I figure "I'm just gunna burn it up in a matter of hours anyways".

you should not be running 87 in an E in any kind of weather conditions.

the E is a higher compression engine. it needs premium in order to not ping (or at least it should...if i had an E model that could run 87 without pinging, i'd start trying to figure out what was wrong with it).

octane is a measure of how difficult the fuel is to ignite. the higher the octane, the harder it is to ignite. high compression engines run hotter and, thus, will cause lower octane gas to ignite prematurely (before the spark) just from the heat of the combustion chamber. this is called pre-detonation or pinging (because of the pinging sound it makes). it is very hard on your engine.

lower compression engines run cooler and, so, can run lower octane...and should or you can have incomplete detonation--as the fuel is too hard to burn--and cause carbon build up (which, ironically can cause hot spots and lead to pinging).

even though the E and S/SM share the same engine, they use different thickness base gaskets. this changes the volume of the combustion chamber--which, in turn, changes the compression ratio of the engine. the thinner gasket of the E makes the combustion chamber smaller, making the compression ratio higher, and leading to the need for higher octane fuel.

contrary to popular misconception, octane rating has absolutely nothing to do with the "quality" of the fuel.

Lot of yuh dont relize 91 and higher aint as easy to get any more. And here in Nebraska anything over the reg gas has 10% or 15% plus ethanol in it. Wyoming was easy to get 94 and 98 all day long and sometimes 103 wasnt hard to find in the black hills, oh the times of green how they suck .

Lot of yuh dont relize 91 and higher aint as easy to get any more. And here in Nebraska anything over the reg gas has 10% or 15% plus ethanol in it. Wyoming was easy to get 94 and 98 all day long and sometimes 103 wasnt hard to find in the black hills, oh the times of green how they suck .

arouund here, all sunoco stations have 93.

but everything has 10% ethanol.

you should not be running 87 in an E in any kind of weather conditions.

the E is a higher compression engine. it needs premium in order to not ping (or at least it should...if i had an E model that could run 87 without pinging, i'd start trying to figure out what was wrong with it).

octane is a measure of how difficult the fuel is to ignite. the higher the octane, the harder it is to ignite. high compression engines run hotter and, thus, will cause lower octane gas to ignite prematurely (before the spark) just from the heat of the combustion chamber. this is called pre-detonation or pinging (because of the pinging sound it makes). it is very hard on your engine.

lower compression engines run cooler and, so, can run lower octane...and should or you can have incomplete detonation--as the fuel is too hard to burn--and cause carbon build up (which, ironically can cause hot spots and lead to pinging).

even though the E and S/SM share the same engine, they use different thickness base gaskets. this changes the volume of the combustion chamber--which, in turn, changes the compression ratio of the engine. the thinner gasket of the E makes the combustion chamber smaller, making the compression ratio higher, and leading to the need for higher octane fuel.

contrary to popular misconception, octane rating has absolutely nothing to do with the "quality" of the fuel.

What he said

just dump in some octane booster from an auto parts store.

Octane boosters at the auto parts store are a waste of money. If you read closely when they say it raises the octane rating by a point it is actually .1 or less. Toluene and xylene on the other hand do raise octane ratings.

To the OP, just drain it and refill with the right gas, you can always put the gas you drained into the mower.

Could always be "ungreen" and separate the ethanol out.

Little red yotas post should be added to the FAQ,

and Millie, you say it's hard to get and yet you seem to have plenty of options with ethanol (which is all most of us have) Premium (high octane) is mandatory in an E