Sign in to follow this  

California Plated CRF 450x

Hi All - My bro moved to Colorado to take a job. I told him to buy a used 450x while he's out there and when he comes back to California he can register it in California as a dual sport bike. He is a resident of Colorado as of a couple of weeks ago.

I've read the ca.gov site trying to figure out the regulation in order to legally bring the bike back to Cali and be able to plate it. From what I could tell, California will let you bring in a 49 state emission bike if it is first registered in Colorado, but it doesn't give the amount of time it needs to be registered in that state. I read it needs to have 7,500 miles on the odometer (which is impossible, since the x odo only goes into the 100's). Can anyone shed any light on what I need to do? Krannie?

Hi All - My bro moved to Colorado to take a job. I told him to buy a used 450x while he's out there and when he comes back to California he can register it in California as a dual sport bike. He is a resident of Colorado as of a couple of weeks ago.

I've read the ca.gov site trying to figure out the regulation in order to legally bring the bike back to Cali and be able to plate it. From what I could tell, California will let you bring in a 49 state emission bike if it is first registered in Colorado, but it doesn't give the amount of time it needs to be registered in that state. I read it needs to have 7,500 miles on the odometer (which is impossible, since the x odo only goes into the 100's). Can anyone shed any light on what I need to do? Krannie?

What? Huh? Somebody call me?

I plead the fifth.

I have never done the above, personally.

I have read about it on dozens of forums, and have ridden with at least two guys who explained the process they used.

The keys seem to be the 'bill of sale' stating mileage at 7500+, clear title, previous state certs for on-road legality, and 2 years + of out of CA registration.

Technically, the X is not EPA legal, so you are relying on the DMV to not dig too deep into the regs. that would prevent it's on-road registration.

The problem also seems to be the 'red flag' issue. Some DMV's will target stuff like this, which is essentially, threading a loophole. If they choose, they can red flag your registration, making any changes impossible.

Edited by Krannie

What? Huh? Somebody call me?

I plead the fifth.

I have never done the above, personally.

I have read about it on dozens of forums, and have ridden with at least two guys who explained the process they used.

The keys seem to be the 'bill of sale' stating mileage at 7500+, clear title, previous state certs for on-road legality, and 2 years + of out of CA registration.

Technically, the X is not EPA legal, so you are relying on the DMV to not dig too deep into the regs. that would prevent it's on-road registration.

The problem also seems to be the 'red flag' issue. Some DMV's will target stuff like this, which is essentially, threading a loophole. If they choose, they can red flag your registration, making any changes impossible.

My bad. I thought you had a plated x in California. I read on the DMW website that EPA sn't a problem, since California will honor the 49 state emissions, as long as it meets all of the rest of the requirements, but I guess the DMV can do whatever the hell they want at the end of the day. I was planning on trying to register it at the Simi Valley DMV.

My bad. I thought you had a plated x in California. I read on the DMW website that EPA sn't a problem, since California will honor the 49 state emissions, as long as it meets all of the rest of the requirements, but I guess the DMV can do whatever the hell they want at the end of the day. I was planning on trying to register it at the Simi Valley DMV.

I did. I've plated several Green sticker bikes in CA. I paid through the nose to a DMV registration service, that is now defunct.

If you are transferring a plated bike, you will probably get lucky if you DON'T go to Simi.

I would go north.

My good friend rescently bought a Ca green stickered 05, and plated it here in Ca. It can still be done, but not easy, and through offsite sources. Persistant people win.

*please no pm's I cant be of help sorry*