Sign in to follow this  

Tire Balls... any feedback?

I have Tired Balls , but that another story !:eek:

What exactly ARE Tire Balls ?? , this is the first i have heard of them

Edit: , i just looked them up , seems like a pain in the butt to install , you have to inflate each one , and there are 29(rear) and 39(front) in each tire , then if one goes bad , you have to locate it in the tire , and replace it individually , seems like a lot of trouble , i would just rather have a extra heavy duty tube like i use now , i have had 2 flats in the last 5 years of off-road riding

http://www.tireballs.com/faq.php

Yep they look pretty labor intensive! Plus they are expensive! I currently use UHD tubes out back, just trying to figure something other than using a mousse (don't like the rear tire size options for a mousse plus they feel very stiff).

Have had mine for about eight months and love em. They're not as much work as everyone makes them out to be. Takes about an extra 20 minutes on top of a normal tire change to prep the balls.

yea but what happens when one gets punctured is it a pain to replace/repair ?? , as i imagine if one goes flat , you would have a flat spot on the tire from one ball being flat , or does it take more to need any service work done to it ??

They are really hard to pop and you probably wont know you did it until you go to change your tire. That is if you only pop one. I remember reading a dirt rider article once about using tennis balls in the front tire. I cant remember exactly how many but i know it was not as many as the tire balls call for and it have you a 13 psi feel.

I also used to run the tubliss tire system and thought it was awesome. but that is another thread in its own i think.

A buddy uses them and likes them. He said they aren't hard to install.

But they are expensive.

Suspension works better, less bounce, tires seem to last longer.

You would have to puncture 6 or more before you "may" notice.

Drive 3-5 hours to race and DNF or lose due to a flat, $4.00 fuel, entry fee, camping/parking, motel, $$$$.

I've used them for a few years just in the front and have now started using them in the rear also, the first set of fronts lasted about six years and they were the thinner version.

There not cheap or as easy as tubes, but once you use them you'll never go back.

Suspension works better, less bounce, tires seem to last longer.

You would have to puncture 6 or more before you "may" notice.

Drive 3-5 hours to race and DNF or lose due to a flat, $4.00 fuel, entry fee, camping/parking, motel, $$$$.

I've used them for a few years just in the front and have now started using them in the rear also, the first set of fronts lasted about six years and they were the thinner version.

There not cheap or as easy as tubes, but once you use them you'll never go back.

So they are good in the front tire also? I usually run a mousse in the front. Do they give the feeling like they absorb the square edged hits, kinda like a mousse? I think I am going to try them on the rear tire first. I absolutely know where you are coming from with the driving 3 to 4 hours to DNF from a flat tire! It sucks, been there! :eek:

You guys are mentioning Track riding , how about Off-Road ?? , do they get mushy or feel weird/sloppy ?? , how do they react to hitting sharp edged rocks and such , , in the rear can you run lower pressure without feeling each ball (bumpy) ?

I have only had 2 flats in the last 5 years (1 front ,1 rear), but if it would eliminate any chance of flats , it might be worth looking into !

Not sure if i believe in the Tubless , they are still tubes as far as i am concerned , how they call them Tubeless is beyond me , they hold air , they have a valve stem , they look like a tube inside of another tube , so maybe something different might be the ticket !

Edited by 450XJimDirt

Yuo guys are mentioning Track riding , how about Off-Road ?? , do they get mushy or feel weird/sloppy ?? , how do they react to hitting sharp edged rocks and such , , in the rear can you run lower pressure without feeling each ball (bumpy) ?

I have only had 2 flats in the last 5 years (1 front ,1 rear), but if it would eliminate any chance of flats , it might be worth looking into !

Not sure if i believe in the Tubless , they are still tubes as far as i am concerned , how they call them Tubeless is beyond me , they hold air , they have a valve stem , they look like a tube inside of another tube , so maybe something different might be the ticket !

Actually I think pretty much everybody who has responded are XC riders. I also am wondering about the tire riding squishy with the Tire Balls. As far as the mousse in the front tire, I ran (1) mousse for over a season (plus training) before it clapped out on me, the bead would no longer stay seated, but it never felt squishy IMO.

cubera, Could you explain why you've given up on all the different tire set-ups and have gone back to tubes? Cost? Or something else?

And more importantly, could you give us a run-down on how each system "felt" in reference to each other.

Thanks!!!

cubera, Could you explain why you've given up on all the different tire set-ups and have gone back to tubes? Cost? Or something else?

And more importantly, could you give us a run-down on how each system "felt" in reference to each other.

Thanks!!!

He's in AZ and rides a 530, so I'm guessing at desert speeds, he wasn't happy with the handling of anything over tubes.

I'm going to try mousses someday, but the install looks pretty intimidating!

He's in AZ and rides a 530, so I'm guessing at desert speeds, he wasn't happy with the handling of anything over tubes.

I'm going to try mousses someday, but the install looks pretty intimidating!

The install was rough for me the first time, once I realized (5) motion pro tire tools and a tire changing stand is the way to go, it's really not that bad. There was a thread on Acadianna Race Series that showed a guy putting on a mousse in under a minute if I remember right, it's a good instructional if it is still there.

Off-road only, I never used the foam inserts because they seemed inconsistant and get softer the longer there in, you can adjust the presure in the balls and you can vary the number of balls ti get a consistant tire presure.

You get a dead feel when you hit sharp objects, but you don't get the bounce in the front like you do with tubes.

I don't use any of the wheel clamps or tire holders to install them, I just use a piece of rope and tire irons.

The install was rough for me the first time, once I realized (5) motion pro tire tools and a tire changing stand is the way to go, it's really not that bad. There was a thread on Acadianna Race Series that showed a guy putting on a mousse in under a minute if I remember right, it's a good instructional if it is still there.

Yeah, I think I saw that video, with the huge breaker bar on the tire stand, I guess I'll wait until I have that setup first... :eek:

I crush tubes, heavy duty or not! I go through them faster then tires. I run Goldentyre mousses and have to admit that I sure like them. Yes, they were a PITA the first time I installed them but after time and the right tools, they arent bad at all. The dead feel is there but it was getting expensive to drive to a race and DNF because of a flat. I dont think you will ever see me use tubes again. The confidence of knowing you cant get a flat makes you ride faster. Just my 2 cents.