Sign in to follow this  

Where to buy throttle cables for Mikuni?

It's has been 10+ years since the cables on my pumper carb have been changed. I want to install new ones to prevent getting stranded out on the trails with a snapped cable.

Who has these on there web site for purchase? Thanks.

--Ry

It's has been 10+ years since the cables on my pumper carb have been changed. I want to install new ones to prevent getting stranded out on the trails with a snapped cable.

Who has these on there web site for purchase? Thanks.

--Ry

mine snapped about a month ago and replaced through XR's only. they have to order it through another company and then they send it to you. probably about 10 days to get the cable..

mine snapped about a month ago and replaced through XR's only. they have to order it through another company and then they send it to you. probably about 10 days to get the cable..

Good to know. How much did the cables cost you?

I had to have a custom cable made (longer), went to a place Flanders in Pasadena they specialize in cables. Is your throttle a Gunnar Gasser? I needed the cable really fast, a local parts shop didn't have what I needed and couldn't get one ordered in time so they gave me the info where they get their cables made, Flanders. Look them up: http://www.flandersco.com/Products.html

They made mine while I waited, I see your location is California, so if you live near Pasadena give them a try. Well worth it for me $30 and I had it that day. Also if you got a Gunnar Gasser, throttle tubes are hard to find, Motion Pro knock offs suck - too much friction in the bar mount housing.

XR's only sells them. :eek:

Got 'em! Now, anybody have tips on installing these? The last time I tried to lube my cables I had a heck of time getting them out.

I *think* the best way is to loosen the adjusters at the carb end, then unhook cables at the throttle side?

Anything to watch out for besides paying close attention to routing of old cables?

--Ry

I don't lube my cables. I know some people swear by lubed cables, I have never lubed any of my cables and they have always worked clean and crisp. do it if you want, I think it invites dirt and grim into the housings, same with throttle tubes. On the stock XR carb, as you mentioned was the way I did it. Just loosen all your tensioning nuts. Leave your cables loose and turn the bars to give you the most slack.