Rear Tire

What type of mileage are you guys getting out of your rear tires?

I put a Dunlop D606 on my WR250R and after less than 3000 miles, it is time to replace.

I love the D606 for the off road traction, but I need something that will last longer on paved roads. I am riding about 80% road (paved) and 20% trails (unpaved). Replacing the rear skin 2-3 times a year is getting expensive.

Almost worth getting street wheels for the 80%. Or buy my WRR.:eek:

Some people have good luck with the Michelins. Others seem to like the various Kendas. And there is quite a Trials tire contingent, but I'll stay with my 606s.

You may want to try Continental or Metzeler.

I'll change tires monthly before I get another set of TW301/302 tires that came on it. Terrible on everything but dry roads at 70 degrees. Not great even then.

I'll be lucky to get 3k out of my D606s. But: the off road traction is so good I'm willing to deal with it.

I have just under 2000 miles on my 606s, and it looks like they're 3/4 gone, which is fine with me, nature of the beast, but what kinda bothers me is the front tire probably needs replacing too, due to the un-even wear, or 'cupping', the rubber, or the knob height is still there though. Kind of a waste, or should i continue to keep running it until it starts to shake or somethin?

Mike

It's a bit late for your current tires , but for future reference you might try installing Dyna Beads to help balance ; reduce uneven wear and add to the amount of miles you run your tires . I run BBs in my tubeless street bike tires . Smooth ride . Being as my XT tires are tube type , I plan on getting the small beads that will fit through the tube stem .

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/index.php

(Scroll down for motorcycle tires)

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/chart.htm#MotorcycleChart

Yeah, I figured that 3,000 miles was decent on the D606, I was hoping someone out there was running something with similar off-road grip and longer lasting tread for road.

It seems like the search for the Holy Grail. Finding a tire that will give 5-6K miles of tread wear and good off-road traction also.

Unless someone has some good info, I will probably just go back with another Dunlop.

Yeah, I figured that 3,000 miles was decent on the D606, I was hoping someone out there was running something with similar off-road grip and longer lasting tread for road.

It seems like the search for the Holy Grail. Finding a tire that will give 5-6K miles of tread wear and good off-road traction also.

Unless someone has some good info, I will probably just go back with another Dunlop.

That's sort of how I ended up where I am. You can get tire mileage, with a street oriented tread and hard tires, but say goodbye to traction off road and on wet roads. Cold wet roads mixed with dirt get really fun really fast.

My road bike tires didn't fare much better until I switched to dual compound sport touring rubber, which gave away about 10% grip to the more sporty rubber. I was getting 2500 miles rear and about 4K front. The dual compound rubber goes 4-5K rear and 6-8 K front. Adding voids, or the area between the knobs, just ups the wear, no matter what compound they use. Which is why you get the ramp wear effect for the front tires. They all do it, even street tires, but it isn't as noticeable.

I have just under 2000 miles on my 606s, and it looks like they're 3/4 gone, which is fine with me, nature of the beast, but what kinda bothers me is the front tire probably needs replacing too, due to the un-even wear, or 'cupping', the rubber, or the knob height is still there though. Kind of a waste, or should i continue to keep running it until it starts to shake or somethin?

Mike

Depends on how much you insist on staying out of the hospital. When my tires cease to grip, no matter what the tread looks like, they get changed. A 75 dollar tire is far cheaper than most medical copays.

I lost an aunt to bald tires, mine never get to the point of wondering if I should have changed them. My uncle has never forgiven himself. And it happened in '72-'73. I'll never be in that position.

too bad maxxis discontinued the 6006 because it sounds like the tire you are looking for. when i was riding my xt commuting to work every day i would get 4000 miles on a rear tire before i would take it off and it still had 15-25% left. only problem i had with it was it tended to slide out in the corners on pavement when it got cold out when driven agressively. otherwise i loved it and it had the best traction i have found in a dualsport tire. have tride a 606 on brothers dr650 but like you he does not like the wear.

On my wr250r I also run D606s, 3000 miles seems to be pretty typical for me as well. Mileage wise I'm about 50/50 street/trail. Ive often wondered about other tires but the 606s work so well I just cant get myself to gamble on something different. Ive thought about Pirelli MT21s but the consensus seems to be that they don't work as well as the 606s, not sure about their longevity though. I also get the cupping effect on the front but even with the funny wear they seem to work OK so I just run them, I go through a front about every 7500 miles. A buddy of mine had the Maxxis 50/50 tire(not sure of the specific tire) awhile back on his XR650r and they seemed to last along time but were no match for the 606s in the dirt. I think the 606 is about as good as it gets when trying to balance mileage w/ performance.

On a side note, is it just me or have 606s really gone up in price in the last couple of years? I was quoted $130 each for a 120/90-18 and searched around and found a best price locally of $95 but I seem to remember buying these for less than $80 in the past. Another reason to try the MT21s, they are still less than $80.

I have the Shinko 244 s on my XT350 . I don't have a lot of miles on them , but so far , I like them . I haven't had them on the highway , but in sand and gravel and forest floor they seem just fine . I have read that the front can cake with mud in a hurry , but not in my experience , so ...