Sign in to follow this  

DR650 Headlight Visibility Improvement

I would like to thank everyone in advance for taking the time to reply to my question!

My wifes car is out of action for awhile(accident),so I will have to take my DR650 to work starting in a couple of weeks.

I live in East Texas so my major concern is wildlife(wild hogs) when riding in the dark.I ride on 2 lane farm to market roads.

I would really like to increase my visibility by replacing the bulb in my headlight.

I have read a bunch of informative and interesting threads(I did a thread search) on HID and other ways to improve lighting ,however, that will have to wait for another time do to lack of money and the fact it is 100+ degrees here everyday!!!

So I need info on what different H4 bulb I can replace in my DR650 to best improve my visibility?

Thanks......Al

A good quality bulb here in Canada will cost about $30 or even more. HID is in the hundreds. I've been considering a $40 set of 3" driving lights that I could run "part time". Just an idea...

I have gone to SYLVANIA SilverStars in all my bikes. Much brighter that the stock bulb, simple bulb replacement, and you can get them at any discount auto store.

I went a step further on the DR-650 and installed heavy bus wires directly from the battery with relays that allow the full voltage from the battery to be applied directly to the light. This also made a big improvement. My light looks stock but is about twice as bright.

I have gone to SYLVANIA SilverStars in all my bikes. Much brighter that the stock bulb, simple bulb replacement, and you can get them at any discount auto store.

Sylvania Silverstar 9003 is a direct replacement for the DR 250, 350 and 650 models.

Very good bulb, quite a bit brighter than stock.

Most any auto parts stores carry them. I think I bought mine at Walmart. :eek:

I would like to thank everyone in advance for taking the time to reply to my question!

My wifes car is out of action for awhile(accident),so I will have to take my DR650 to work starting in a couple of weeks.

I live in East Texas so my major concern is wildlife(wild hogs) when riding in the dark.I ride on 2 lane farm to market roads.

I would really like to increase my visibility by replacing the bulb in my headlight.

I have read a bunch of informative and interesting threads(I did a thread search) on HID and other ways to improve lighting ,however, that will have to wait for another time do to lack of money and the fact it is 100+ degrees here everyday!!!

So I need info on what different H4 bulb I can replace in my DR650 to best improve my visibility?

Thanks......Al

I did a two-fold upgrade to my DR's headlight by adding an Eastern Beaver H4 headlight relay, and then replaced the stock bulb with a PIAA Intense White bulb. It was a noticeable improvement from stock, but you'll find that for not very much more money, an HID setup will be several times brighter and whiter than any upgraded H4 bulb.

A good quality bulb here in Canada will cost about $30 or even more. HID is in the hundreds. I've been considering a $40 set of 3" driving lights that I could run "part time". Just an idea...

Shop around... there are plenty of HID setups north of the border for under $100. I installed this kit in my wife's DR-Z400, the same kit will work just as well in the big DR. In fact, I plan on getting one for mine and installing that over the winter. At $70, you can't go wrong.

And here's a couple examples for you comparing my 'upgraded' H4 setup on the DR to the HID setup on my wife's DRZ.

DR650 - H4 Low beam

2h651rd.jpg

DRZ - HID Low beam

2lo57ir.jpg

DR650 - H4 High beam

14cd47t.jpg

DRZ - HID High beam

2cng41.jpg

So for the same cost as an upgraded relay and a new H4 bulb, you CAN go with the HID and still retain hi/lo beam functionality with a single bulb. Even if you have to wait and scrape together a few extra bucks, I recommend going for the HID. :eek:

Nice! Thanks for the photos! :eek: Quite a differrence between those. Guess that will have to go on "the list"...friggin list is longer than my arm...lol

DirtMonkey, go ahead and get it and test it out. Maybe I'll get one too.

kknuth, is it really that simple and cheap? Do you remember which one you got?

I agree that basic HID setups are now almost as cheap as expensive halogens.

See http://www.ddmtuning.com/Product-Categories/Motorcycle-HID-Kits-Lighting

For $30 you can buy a plug'n'play HID setup for the DR. I have mine up an going in 20 minutes. Works flawlessly.

Well that's just fantastic. Did I ever mention I love this forum? You guys rock. Thanks so much for the heads up. Yep, this one's definitely on the list now, and closer to the top than before!

Any word on how long the HID bulbs last? I know from my previous bike that the higher output PIAA bulbs don't last very long-my low beam was out within a few months. I run the Vision X LED driving lights, and they are very bright, and are supposed to last 50,000 hours. Plus the draw less than 1 amp.

Should be 2-3 times as long as those high output halogens. It would take 2-3 of the vision solstice s1100 to match a 35w hid bulb. Though in this case probably less as the reflector isn't be changed out and would be inefficient with a hid.

DDM tuning is the way to go! I've ordered over 10 hid kits from them and only had one problem with one ballast which they promptly replaced. Been running the oldest kit for over 4 years still running strong!

Any word on how long the HID bulbs last? I know from my previous bike that the higher output PIAA bulbs don't last very long-my low beam was out within a few months. I run the Vision X LED driving lights, and they are very bright, and are supposed to last 50,000 hours. Plus the draw less than 1 amp.

I think the ballast is the only fail point on these systems. There's no "filament" in the HID bulb, so to speak. Based on the little bit of reading I did, it's my understanding that it's more like an "arc" that sheds the light.

If you are really concerned about seeing at night, you need to add some extra lights. The stock reflector will be ok at giving straight ahead visibility at night, but if you want to avoid the critters, you need to have better visibility to the sides. The deer, pigs, and whatnot do not stand in the middle of the road and wait for you to hit them. The only way to get really good light to the sides is add some auxiliary lights.

I'm a moron when it comes to all things electrical, so can someone tell me which HID plug and play kit can I upgrade to and have a high and low beam HID? The stock headlight on my 03 DR650 just doesn't cut it for me and I want more light. The photos showing the difference between the DR and the wife's DRZ sold me on needing/wanting to upgrade. How well do HID lights hold up off-road? Thanks in advance.

I'm a moron when it comes to all things electrical, so can someone tell me which HID plug and play kit can I upgrade to and have a high and low beam HID? The stock headlight on my 03 DR650 just doesn't cut it for me and I want more light. The photos showing the difference between the DR and the wife's DRZ sold me on needing/wanting to upgrade. How well do HID lights hold up off-road? Thanks in advance.

There's different ways you can go...some kits are advertised as increased quality/longer life ballast etc. On this website: http://www.ddmtuning.com/Product-Categories/Motorcycle-HID-Kits-Lighting

My choice would be the 55w kit:http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-35W-55W-Single-HiLo-Motorcycle-HID-Kit and ur only out $50... Good Luck.

Edited by kevsie1
accuracy