EL DORADO. Bear River Reservoir / Sliver Lake - Riding??

I was taking my kids, a buddy and his kids to Bear Reservoir. While walking the cooler from the SUV I stopped a loan ATV'er and asked him where all the bikes I saw cruising around were going since they were not plated. Seems like a nice area.

It seems there is a whole dirt biking world out there to explore. Anyone know the area really well and can speak to it? I think life would get possible twice as good if you could explore miles and miles of that scenery with a dirt bike. Say it is so!

Edited by RabidDove_NorCal
  • Like 1

Nah, you're cool. It's just too dry and dusty this time of year and too many quads out there to deal with a group ride right now.

All the BS about SSS, don't worry about it! Everything you mentioned is on maps readily available and if quads are riding it, how secret can it be anyways?! Ha!

Just to mention places like ragdump or east-of-east, or sunshine alley, or even chalk bluff and WST! Ha! Some people have some sort of sense of entitlement that they think it's all their own private areas, but what you are talking about sure isn't.

Time for another SSS ride!

Ski you Non-PC animal! Set it up! You name it, I'm on it! :eek:

P.S. When I discovered this area a few years ago, they crusified me. Ask Rock Monster or Z-Man or YZ or a # of folks here if I'm making this up.

Edited by superslyko
Last week it was a Circus up there!

Time for another SSS ride!

Ski you Non-PC animal! Set it up! You name it, I'm on it! :eek:

P.S. When I discovered this area a few years ago, they crusified me. Ask Rock Monster or Z-Man or YZ or a # of folks here if I'm making this up.

How technical are these areas? I would be there in a heartbeat if I wouldn't hold you guys up....if so, I will work on my seat time so I can make it in the future.

How technical are these areas? I would be there in a heartbeat if I wouldn't hold you guys up....if so, I will work on my seat time so I can make it in the future.

I have been riding ever chance I get for the last 3 years. I'm solid on all but the hardest stuff at Georgetown.. and I thought sections of Bucks Pasture trail was the hardest I have ever done. Riding thru granite boulders is tough. You miss your line and the front gets stuck between big granite boulders. Big risk of major bike damage if you F-- up. At my skill walking would have been more fun on most of that trail, And I hear Horse Canyon is 3x harder.

Were those quads ride are 4x4 jeep roads. They can be a hard in places too. Great for plated bikes.

Watch the video Enduro at Erzburg. If that looks fun...

Oh com'on!! We got fresh meat here and y'all wanna spoil the fun and scare him off! Ha!

Keep to the fire roads, carry a gps, tag along on group rides and don't be afraid to both try new stuff and ask someone to ride your bike over a tough section. No one needs to die! Ha!

I don't ride California much anymore; too many people, too much dust, too much politics. I ride Idaho, Oregon and lately Utah! So slyko, I DID set it up! You baled. Ha! Next ride is either Idaho first weekend in Sept. (2nd through the 5th), Labor Day weekend. After that, it will either have to rain here first, or Oregon mid October. (Nothing planned for September...)

****EDIT****

I forgot, doing a dual sport ride to the 'Lost Coast' this weekend. Camping out along the way. Leaving tomorrow evening!!

Dual Sport is the only way to go in CA anymore.

I don't know about too many people.

I do many rides in the fall where I do not see a single other person all day.

Just depends where you are at I think.

will have had my 650L 2 years come the last week in September.

It has 4600 miles on it now - mostly dirt.

Ride every weekend, and mostly on that bike now due to the freedom it gives.

Plus - that thing will go anywhere I want.

Dual Sport is the only way to go in CA anymore.

I don't know about too many people.

I do many rides in the fall where I do not see a single other person all day.

Just depends where you are at I think.

will have had my 650L 2 years come the last week in September.

It has 4600 miles on it now - mostly dirt.

Ride every weekend, and mostly on that bike now due to the freedom it gives.

Plus - that thing will go anywhere I want.

Is this because to get from trail to trail you have to go through so many fireroads where a plate is necessary?

Is this because to get from trail to trail you have to go through so many fireroads where a plate is necessary?

There are many dirt roads in the El Dorado National Forest open only to street legal vehicles. That sucks.

Also, you can make big loops if you have a plate - connect trails that you could not connect with a non-plated bike.

Hop on the highway to connect trails together.

Better yet - ride from your house to the trails - no truck needed.

Since I got a plated bike, by truck get about 1200 miles a year on it.

Usually to cut wood or an occasional Nevada ride.

Many times I have to charge the battery because it sits so long now.

I will never buy another non-plated bike again, especially in this state.

I've been dreaming about Idaho for years! I just couldn't make it this year. Maybe next. Where are the pictures!?

I do remember taking a few guys on that Heart-attack trail near Bucks Pasture. Timekeeper fell & landed on a huge rock, broke a rib. Another time up at Horse Canyon, Craterbum's friend did an endo & got his hand caught in his handlebars. Only broke a finger.............. but toughed it out and rode the entire day.

Cliffdiver wimping out after we splinted his wrist so well. :banana:

Ski, don't bail on me now.............. after all the shit you've given The Skipper..................... time to fess up. At least he planned a ride. :devil:(Just cuz he didn't show up for 70% of them doesn't give you an excuse! :worthy:)

Hondas & Girls!

Hondas.JPG

Ride like a Girl!

DSC00050.jpg

I feel an epic adventure is in the making! :eek: Mini-me could show us how to do 3-Man. YZ could bet again! ?

-No. It's because he was running from the cops so many times - his wife got tired of fetching him at midnight up in the woods.

Now don't give me any grief about some plated bike! That thing is 500 lbs if it's an ounce. (I need a tire!)

Good times! :worthy:

Edited by superslyko
I've always wanted to do Blue Lake.

I do remember taking a few guys on that Heart-attack trail near Bucks Pasture. Timekeeper fell & landed on a huge rock, broke a rib. Another time up at Horse Canyon, Craterbum's friend did an endo & got his hand caught in his handlebars. Only broke a finger.............. but toughed it out and rode the entire day.

Cliffdiver wimping out after we splinted his wrist so well. ?

[\QUOTE]

hmm, It seems I should get my newbie skills up before I answer a Superslyko call....:eek:

Cliffdiver wimping out after we splinted his wrist so well. ?

[\QUOTE]

hmm, It seems I should get my newbie skills up before I answer a Superslyko call....:eek:

Horse Canyon isn't all that tough. A little challenging going up the first few miles but after that not to bad. If I can ride out 20 miles one handed, how hard can it be?