Will Slip-On improve horsepower?

it will give it a different sount but power??? i have a pro circuit a two brothers and a fmf powercore 4 but the only difference to me is the sound compared to stock the pro circuit out of all of those that ive tried actually felt different in that it lost bottom hit and made it pull further through the middle. but i love the bottom hit on the stock pipe. just my 2 cents everyone is different.:eek:

You mentioned 'improved horsepower' verses 'increased horsepower'. Not sure if you meant to say it that way, but that is the reality of it. Some pipes improve the quality of the horsepower without increasing it. FMF, MRD, Dr D, etc all do this well.

Slip-ons are hit and miss. Some work great with the stock header, and some just create a peak to give you the impression you have gained more power.

Full system exhausts are engineered to work together, and every brand has different priorities.

For example:

Dr D systems focus on keeping the power band as flat as possible, and starting as soon as possible.

Pro Circuit focuses on peak horsepower, deriving it from increased flow at high rpms.

FMF makes several versions for different applications.

• Like 1

You mentioned 'improved horsepower' verses 'increased horsepower'. Not sure if you meant to say it that way, but that is the reality of it. Some pipes improve the quality of the horsepower without increasing it. FMF, MRD, Dr D, etc all do this well.

Slip-ons are hit and miss. Some work great with the stock header, and some just create a peak to give you the impression you have gained more power.

Full system exhausts are engineered to work together, and every brand has different priorities.

For example:

Dr D systems focus on keeping the power band as flat as possible, and starting as soon as possible.

Pro Circuit focuses on peak horsepower, deriving it from increased flow at high rpms.

FMF makes several versions for different applications.

Excellent post. Very true.

I have an 06 KX450F. I was wondering if I put an FMF slip on exhaust on it if that will give me more horsepower and that more deep throat sound. Or do I have to get the full exhaust system? Thanks
Regarding power: A stock healthy 06 engine is pretty quick for any MX track that needs power. If you ensure your valve clearances are in spec (closer to the tight side of the range is more power), valve timing is right, combustion chamber is clean, spark is strong, muffler is properly packed, carb is right, and fuel quality is ok, then the thing honestly rips across a very broad RPM range. If any of those factors are not right, then give it some thought.

Regarding sound and visual appearance of the stock muffler: I agree, it sounds a bit harsh and sure looks ugly. But for low rev power of the stocker is very strong.

I mostly use self modified muffler. It started as an FMF Ti Q2 slip-on, but I ripped the insides out of it, and put in a straight thru core having lots of 3mm holes with a slight core diameter taper down toward the tail. It sounds better, looks a lot better, weighs a lot less, but I wouldn't say it goes any better.

it will give it a different sount but power??? i have a pro circuit a two brothers and a fmf powercore 4 but the only difference to me is the sound compared to stock the pro circuit out of all of those that ive tried actually felt different in that it lost bottom hit and made it pull further through the middle. but i love the bottom hit on the stock pipe. just my 2 cents everyone is different.:eek:

So...which one are you running?? You are selling the PC, so did you stick with stock or go with one of the other two? Inquiring minds gotta know!

i run the stock system with a good jetting set up and the bike has more power down low and mid then it ever did with any other slip ons.. so i have been running stock system with a pmb tip on the back just so if i want to go ride in neo nazi ca hills i can be legal haha.. but back to the stock exhaust i gained almost a full second a lap with the stock muffler as well and other things i noticed were that on certain rythm sections i would have to be in 3rd gear to clear the jumps coming right out of the corner and with the stock muffler i could clear things in 2nd gear coming out of tight corners that i could never do with the slip ons.. to me its quite obvious that kawasaki engeneers spend a great deal of time and money on building these bikes and wouldnt put a crappy muffler on it.. that would defeit the purpose! there is no way in my opinion that an aftermarket company can create a better exhaust then stock they dont spend millions testing. see what im saying?? all an a.m slip on does is move the power around there is no added power just give and take where u feel the power!! anyway a couple of my fellow racers have actually put there stock mufflers back on and love the bike and say wow why did i even buy a slip on to begin with? stock muffler equals best low and mid period, ive tried everything and am back to stock..if ur worried about sound get a pmb tip and a quite insert..? spend the money on suspension tires oil and airfilters things that will actually help u..?

• 5 years later...