YZ250 which one to get?

I am going to get a 250 2t to race next year in the 250 class I just need a little help picking a bike. What year yz250 would you recommend? I was thinking they went to the alumunium frame in 05 and the new style forks in 06 is this correct? Is 06 the last update to the machine? That is why I was going to look for an 06. Has any body had there cylinder ported by Eric Gorr for more all round power? I think that I would like the power more 4 stroke like. I say this because I was switching back and forth between a yz125 and Crf450R at the track last weekend and I had a harder time judging my speed on the jumps on the 125 plus I had a harder time leveling the bike in the air. It just seemed a little bit unpredicable as to if it was going to be nose high or low going off a jump.This maybe because I am used to riding my 450 with its very linear power band. What other mods are you guys doing to the engine to make them smoother? Fly wheel weights? What weight? Thanks

I am going to get a 250 2t to race next year in the 250 class I just need a little help picking a bike.
YZs have been good bikes for some time. There are guys that are comptitive on the old (1999-2001) models. :eek:

2008 was about the last year for a "major" update; they received lighter front brake calipers, and different lower fork legs.

Here is another related thread...

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=6694499#post6694499

Good luck!

There's a bunch of small changes over the years, but the fact is that my 2002 is still a competitive motocross bike. The steel vs aluminum frame isn't an issue. The SSS suspension on my 2010 is awesome, but the older stuff on my 2002 works really well with a re-valve and springs.

I'm with dirtbike1445, I don't recommend a flywheel weight for MX.

If you learn throttle control and timing, you don't need the flywheel. There are plenty of times it would slow me down at most tracks. On a really slick track, or in the mud, you might like it. I just control traction with the clutch.

Hey if u want a yz250 u should just get an orange one aka ktm. Its faster, hydralic clutch and all the other madness that comes stock and at some point they made an ignition plug that gives u a choice between a "race" or smoother powerband yet it's still fast enough for the pro class. No clutch flicking really required to get through corners either :eek:

I am looking to spend about$3000 max. What year YZ or KTM can I get for that. I am not sure that I really want a Ktm. I heard that there handling and suspension was little off. I have never ridden one so if somebody has ridden both I would love to know what you thought.

3 Gs should get you a like-new '06, a pretty clean '07, or a well-used '08.

Lol Ill sell him my 08 for 3 G's but although it looks and performs like new because Im pretty meticulous about maint. and upkeep, its on its 4th full season of MX. So its had a "rough life" (which may be quite the understatement) for sure.

But to answer the OPs question I just raced my freshly rebuilt 96 Yz 250 which the only motor mods are its ported for mid/top and squish set and finished 4,3 in 250B and also raced it in open B and finished 4, 2 on the day. That thing was impressive for sure! It will every bit as competetive as my 08 as soon as suspension is a little more dialed (Im running the incorrect spring rates up front). The Yz has really been perfected since then but they are all still competetive if you have a little money to upgrade a few parts. Theres a reason the design hasnt changed in 4 years and they continue to sell out year after year.

As far as porting for 4 stroke power. While you can get some 4 stroke like characteristics out of a Yz, its impossible to get 4 stroke like power and tractibility out of it without losing all the traits that make it better than the 250f. The Yz is smooth enough for any decent MX rider and a tame throttle hand can control the rest. I had EG port my bikes for mid/top and set squish correctly and its the best investement Ive made in my race bike (08 Yz 250) to date with the exception of the suspension valving for my aggresive riding. The thing absolutely hauls the mail, the porting woke the motor up on top like I never imagined it would.

Just my .02

I am looking to spend about$3000 max. What year YZ or KTM can I get for that. I am not sure that I really want a Ktm. I heard that there handling and suspension was little off. I have never ridden one so if somebody has ridden both I would love to know what you thought.

As far as the KTM suspension being off, your correct. It is very "squirrely" in stock form. With a little work from a good suspension tuner it can be made to work just as good as anything else on the market IMO. I rode a 06 or 07 KTM 250SX and it was just as good if not better than my Yz. Granted the owner was around the same weight and skill level as me.

In comparison I rode his dads bone stock 09 250Sx and it was just weird from front to back. I liked absolutely nothing about it. The back end was bucking all over the place and the front end liked to skip around like no other. I rode it for a full day and never did gain any confidence in the suspension.

Once again this was just my experience, some may have differing opinions.

But to answer the OPs question I just raced my freshly rebuilt 96 Yz 250 which the only motor mods are its ported for mid/top and squish set and finished 4,3 in 250B and also raced it in open B and finished 4, 2 on the day. That thing was impressive for sure! It will every bit as competetive as my 08 as soon as suspension is a little more dialed (Im running the incorrect spring rates up front). The Yz has really been perfected since then but they are all still competetive if you have a little money to upgrade a few parts. Theres a reason the design hasnt changed in 4 years and they continue to sell out year after year.

Good stuff! It's fun to pass people on bikes that are 12+ years older than theirs.

I have a 2000 yz250 and after about 600$ in personal mods, it can hang with bike at the track.

Getting the suspension setup for your riding and weight is #1. No reason to have to have a 06+ unless you're thinking about resale purposes or just want the aftermarket selection.

This past weekend I was racing SX. I was in 5th in Open 2-stroke coming into the last lap. On the very last straight there's a large section of whoops followed by a 75 footer into a tight corner.

I came into the section about 3 bikes behind a 06+ yz250 and when we got to that corner I was about 3+ bikes ahead.

It's all rider, not the bike.

Buy something you can afford and spend the cash you have left over fixing the problems and getting the bike setup to your preference.

I has been my experiance forever that some guys don't take to KTMs well.

Even the guys the prefer them can ride a YZ pretty well. Some guys can ride both well. But if you are one of those guys that don't take well to KTMs you just don't.

I can ride a KTM for most things. But I'm not very good at ice racing them.

For that reason I feel that a YZ is a safer bet. Anyone can ride one. Though if you are born and raised of four strokes you may soil your pants for a while until you get the hang of what the word torque really means.

3K is a good budget. I had an 01 yz250. I got it cheap fixed it up and rode the snot out of it. Then I blew it up and got an 05 yz250 that I eventually put 06 forks on. Also, great bike.

My opinion is that you should get an 02 or newer yz250, whichever you get the best deal on. Spend very little and then get it fixed up for you. The engines are the same from 02 and up and you'll have to get the suspension done anyway. Make sure that the bottom end is good and that the frame and/or rims are not cracked. You'll redo the top end anyway and everything else you can fix very cheaply.

Nothing wrong with the KTM's. Anyone telling you otherwise is a liar! If you find a good deal on one, buy it. You won't be sorry.

Regarding getting a yz250 to run like a 4 stroke, I poured lots of money into my 05 yz250 to make it more friendly like a 450. I went with flywheel weights, porting, pipe and power valve spacers, sprockets, pipes, etc... At the end of it all, I had a lot smoother two stroke and a much lighter wallet, but nothing that really resembled a 4 stroke.

If you want a 450, then buy one. I eventually sold my yz250 to buy a ktm450 to race. Don't try to make the bike something that its not. If you want to putt around and have a smooth linear powerband, then get something else. The yz smokers are hyper and love to be spanked, and spanked hard.

If you get a 2 stroke , ride it like a two stroke and enjoy it for what it is. Its an absolute blast to ride and will provide a huge adrenaline rush.

• Like 1

I have never ridden a 250 2t How does the power come on. Is it like a 125 all or nothing or is there some mid to low if you need it kinda of like a 4 stroke. I like the hit of 125, just not sure if I would like the same power band on twice the engine. I will have the bike ported once I get it by Eric Gorr. What do you recommend for porting for a c-rider? All a round or mid to top.

my opinion you cant go wrong with any yz I picked up a 03, 250 and its been a fast reliable bike from day one, my riding bud got a 98 yz 250 for 800 bucks and its been a good bike only thing hes bought for it is gas oil and a paddle

I have never ridden a 250 2t How does the power come on. Is it like a 125 all or nothing or is there some mid to low if you need it kinda of like a 4 stroke. I like the hit of 125, just not sure if I would like the same power band on twice the engine. I will have the bike ported once I get it by Eric Gorr. What do you recommend for porting for a c-rider? All a round or mid to top.

I had my first Yz ported for mid/top when I just started out. Still using the same porting as of now. I think the Yz has sufficient bottom end, while its not much it does the job quite well. Since the mid/top end are where the Yz really shines in the first place "smooth as butter" its pretty hard to beat the power the Yz is capable of when you get into the mid+ rpm range with porting. Just my .02 but the top end boost and over rev help the Yz more than a boost on the bottom will on the track.

The YZ250 is a lot like 4strokish at the bottom end. The power on mine comes in smooth. That's why you don't need a FWW. I thought 2007 is the year that the forks were changed over. The best mod I think you could do is to switch the YZ front master cylinder and brake pads to OEM Honda CRF450. You will get tons more braking power. The YZ front brakes are crap. Some will argue, but the bottom line is, THEY ARE CRAP. I know this because as you could see, I own 4 YZ's. I did the mod and what a huge difference. My mod involved my 2007 YZ250 and the replacement parts were for a 2007 CRF450F.

Edited by Mark6299