Serious question: What is the point of recreation Quads?

On a side note i never saw a bike guy unload and rip circles in the gravel parking lot roosting gravel on everyones truck just for fun.

Seen it done many times. More often than not, the bike has a gutted silencer, bald tires, Metal Mulisha graphics on black plastic, you get the idea.....

And seen people also go over and prop up nails under all the tires on the parking lot roosters tires.:eek:

i know a paraplegic who ride quads, think he might have some trouble with a dirtbike ?

there's a guy on this board from canada that's broken his neck/back several times and is paralyzed. his bike has a cage attached to the frame to keep his feet on the pegs and help keep his legs from getting smashed when he wrecks. he still rips pretty darn good. truly inspirational. makes a blown knee or broken arm seem pretty damn trivial.:eek:

Ever rode a high performance ATV in the dunes?

I'm not talking an LTZ400, but something along the lines of an alky burning Banshee......

I may be drunk, but I'm not retarded, so no, I haven't ridden a high-performance atv anywhere. And I don't really want to, since even the fastest and shiniest 4-wheel vehicle is pretty boring to me. I like motorcycles. :eek:

I may be drunk, but I'm not retarded, so no, I haven't ridden a high-performance atv anywhere. And I don't really want to, since even the fastest and shiniest 4-wheel vehicle is pretty boring to me. I like motorcycles. :eek:

I think judging something one has no experience in is kinda retarded, but it's a free country, one can be retarded if they choose.

No worries I'm drunk to:cheers:. But seriously I agree, two less wheels and a whole lot more fun imo ?. I just don't understand what brought the op to ask this question. I mean the same exact question could be asked about anything in our daily lives that are not neccessity. the "point" as with any recreational vehicle is to use them for personal enjoyment.

I think judging something one has no experience in is kinda retarded, but it's a free country, one can be retarded if they choose.

Disagree. I don't need to do every exact thing in order to form an opinion about it. I've never pierced my wiener, but I have enough other experiences to be very sure I don't want to. You certainly have formed opinions about stuff you haven't done (like splitting lanes in traffic between semi's).

I've ridden quads. I've been on or in very powerful 4-wheel vehicles. That's enough for me to know that any kind of 4wheeler, even a fancy one in the dunes would be boring and lame for me.

I have many issues with quads .... but am not going to whine about them any longer ..:eek:

The ONE area I REALLY take exception to is the belief quad riders have that helmets or any form of protective gear is not required to ride a quad.

IMO, the quad associations should be taking a VERY STRONG stance on this issue and the LEAD ROLE, by reminding their riders to wear helmets and gear on their websites, etc.

Secondly, they need to set an example at their "organized quad rides". Why not institute a SIMPLE RULE in order to take part in the ride ... if you show up with no helmet .. then your NOT RIDING with the group. Simple as that !

I cannot tell you how many organized rides I have seen where 20-30 quads ride by on the trail and you might see one or two helmets.

In the end, when people get injured, its a statistic the medical community pegs on ALL ORV riders (they don't seperate between 2 and 4 wheels). Nobody wants to see somebody hurt regardless of whether you ride a quad or a bike. Unfortunately the number of quad riders getting injured due to the lack of wearing any form or protective armor is far too high.

When individuals refuse to wear helmets and protective gear, the entire ORV community gets tarnished with the same brush and frankly I don't think the vast majority of us deserve this.

Until the associations and quad riders take the helmet issues seriously, the stereotypes against quad riders will continue ..

Disagree. I don't need to do every exact thing in order to form an opinion about it. I've never pierced my wiener, but I have enough other experiences to be very sure I don't want to. You certainly have formed opinions about stuff you haven't done (like splitting lanes in traffic between semi's).

I've ridden quads. I've been on or in very powerful 4-wheel vehicles. That's enough for me to know that any kind of 4wheeler, even a fancy one in the dunes would be boring and lame for me.

Comparing massive genital trauma and bleeding to riding a high HP sport machine, now that's retarded.

And FYI, you don't know where I have or haven't ridden, or what dumb stuff I have done.

I really am not asking the question to be an ass. If you aren't using an ATV to haul or use for work...what is the point of a recreation ATV? Is there a thrill to it that is different from dirt bikes? Wouldn't it be much more limiting?

Bikes and quads are great in their own respect, I love my 450X and it does things my Old Honda Foreman 500S wouldn't do. I have ridden both on the Dunes in Oregon, Horsefall, Spinreel and Siuslaw. The 450 was great, but there is something to be said riding through 2.5 - 3' feet of water in the middle of the dunes.

I could ride my quad in the snow, cross creeks and mud holes and if I got stuck I could easily winch out. I've used them to wicnh out deer and logs, it truly was a useful tool as much as it was for fun.

The capabilities of the quad were increased ten fold with tires and a winch. Check it out, I think you may like it.:eek:

Comparing massive genital trauma and bleeding to riding a high HP sport machine, now that's retarded.

If you say so. Seems like about the same thing to me, at least if the hp sports machine has 4 wheels.

Admittedly, there are many people that like quads and many people that like genital piercings. I don't have to waste alot of time doing either one to know I'm just not one of them. :eek:

I assume you're only talking about people who are too drunk, retarded or unskilled to balance on 2 wheels in the sand, right?

The beauty of Glamis is you can avoid that crowd by camping deep in one of the washes and having an entire dune system to yourself. I'm by no means a sand regular but if you go on an off weekend and camp away from the retards, you can have a good time. When we go we take a pretty big mix of vehicles and by the middle of the trip even the die hard motorcycle guys end up on ATVs.

kellytrx.jpg

No worries I'm drunk to:cheers:. But seriously I agree, two less wheels and a whole lot more fun imo :eek:. I just don't understand what brought the op to ask this question. I mean the same exact question could be asked about anything in our daily lives that are not neccessity. the "point" as with any recreational vehicle is to use them for personal enjoyment.

To put it into context....I am new to the sport and I see mostly bikes at the places I go but see some quads too. I would ask the experienced riders I was with why some ppl choose quads over bikes and they couldn't really given me a reason. Like they had never considered why anyone would get a quad. So I would press them (different ppl at different times) and their answers were almost the exact same. They didn't know and couldn't venture to guess. Well shoot, even I could venture to guess....but I thought I would throw it out to this crowd. I have learned a lot from the discussion and feel it has been answered...but I am glad I brought it up because I also didn't realize there was a brotherhood inner squabble surrounding it.

...but I am glad I brought it up because I also didn't realize there was a brotherhood inner squabble surrounding it.

The biggest problem most of us have with ATV riders are those who rip around staging areas scarring the land, creating noise, raising dust, and throwing rocks/gravel. Not only does this activity create a unsafe and irritating environment around a staging area, it lends to the bad image of OHVers in the eyes of land managers and the general public since most staging areas tend to be near major highways easily in view of passersby.

Additionally, some ATV riders ruin good trails that were originally singletrack by forcing their machines through them. With good singletrack motorcycle trails becoming more and more scarce, this becomes a pretty heated issue for those of us who want to ride singletrack and not hammered two track.

My biggest irritant is coming across some group ride in the middle of the trail and its several friends or family members and there's always that one person on the ATV who ends up getting drug down some trail they should be on.