Sign in to follow this  

Identifying Cam's. How can I tell what model they're off ?

Hey all.

I got a second hand top end for parts...

Now, I don't know if it came off an E or an S/SM

Does anyone how how to tell the difference ? The only markings on them are the timing marks on the cam gears.

I don't have the bike to compare them as it's overseas.

Thanks in advance.

Ted

hmmm

The only letter on my intake cam is F.

As in "29F"

:eek:

My EX Cam has an "E" stamped on it though.....

I guess the intake doesn't have a stamp ???

the e model head has 3 differences from the s and sm versions 1) the part where the pair valve pipe attaches to head is blank (e head ) 2) at inlet side the e model has a nipple for connection to the fcr ce ( coast enricher ) where as the s and sm model have 2x blanking bolts at the intake side , 3) the e model head has a small plastic attachment screwed to where the manual decomp cam attaches and on the s sm head this is blanked off in the casting same as the pair valve is on the e head , cam wise not sure but someone will confirm afaik the e cams have numbers 123 with arrows and 29f stamped on the cams but I dont know what the s and sm cams have stamped on them

the e model head has 3 differences from the s and sm versions 1) the part where the pair valve pipe attaches to head is blank (e head ) 2) at inlet side the e model has a nipple for connection to the fcr ce ( coast enricher ) where as the s and sm model have 2x blanking bolts at the intake side , 3) the e model head has a small plastic attachment screwed to where the manual decomp cam attaches and on the s sm head this is blanked off in the casting same as the pair valve is on the e head , cam wise not sure but someone will confirm afaik the e cams have numbers 123 with arrows and 29f stamped on the cams but I dont know what the s and sm cams have stamped on them

Cams are marked with a single letter, the 29F on the gear means nothing as far as ID of the cam style.

Here is a set of A/B cams, from an early MDL E

attachment.php?attachmentid=12779&d=1266332277

Notice they both have cam gears marked 29F

Edited by E.Marquez

Cams are marked with a single letter, the 29F on the gear means nothing as far as ID of the cam style.
no other markings on my cams can u ellaboraite ??

no other markings on my cams can u ellaboraite ??

More then what i just did in the post above yours? No, not really.. The cams are ID'ed with a single letter.

The sprockets specific to what is used on a DRZ are marked 29F.. But ALL DRZ OEM cams will have the 29F

Yes, see where the cam is in the center of the gear? The darker metal in the center should have a punch marked letter.

Brilliant info thanks found mine with a magnifying glass stamped A and B thanks Marquez n eddie for all your help