KX 125 triple clamp/bent fork?

A while back I asked about my fork cap. Jeekinz and i am sean were very helpful, along with the newbie hazing, don't worry, I can take it. So now it's time for a potential second opportunity for some laughs.

I took jeekinz advice and loosened the triple, but the fork was hopelesly siezed in the clamp. After some noodling with a screwdriver, and some wd it came free and spun(I had loosened the upper triple nut where it attatched to the frame). For a new guy it was a happy moment. As I am getting more comfortable on the bike I am noticing some little issues. The first one was that the front fender seemed to point to the left if the handlebars were straight. I decided to loosen up the nut that connects the upper triple to the frame and see if I could twist it back. Upon further inspection I noticed that the triple definitely looks twisted. While it was easy to nudge the clamps in line with each other, it would twist itself back to it's original position. Is this normal, or is it indicative of a larger issue? Should I twist it straight and tighten it and be done, or would that potentially affect the function of the fork? I have a ride planned out of town next sat., and don't wan't to ride something dangerous.

Thanks for any advice you may have. I'm already deeper into this bike financially than I wanted to be, but that is a whole different story.

Rotate the fork tubes in the triples and see if anything changes direction. If not, the uppers aren't bent. Don't place too much emphasis on the fender, they point wherever they want to...LOL...

It is possible, but really unlikely that the cast aluminum triples are bent.

If your bike has rubber-mounted bar clamps, that is a common bar allignment problem area.

Thanks for the response. I have un-bolted and re-tourqued everything, unless I twist it straight as I tighten it twists slightly. Loosening everything up helped a little.

I have not aligned the front, wasn't aware of such a thing. Is there an explanation of the process that you are aware of?

I had the front fender off as I was experimenting. Plastics are brand new, luckily no crashes yet. The triple is cast where the handlebars attatch. It is the relationship of the upper triple to the lower. Sitting on the bike, handlebars off, number plate off, front fender off, the upper right side of the triple is pushed forward. I asked a buddy that used to work at a shop and he told me to lay a piece of glass on it and it should touch on all 4 points. Mine is touching in three which tells me something is twisted? I am wondering if I am chasing a ghost here? In the end I suppose I was used to it already, just would rather fix something than let it go. It's gonna bug me....

As far as the disassembly/reassembly goes, I followed the procedure as stated in my service manual.

I've replaced many upper clamps on our 125s, even a minor get-off twists them.

Take your top clamp off and set the bottom surface on a mirror, try to rock it, if you feel any movement the clamp is twisted.

Thanks kdx and wymx, I will pull the upper and give it a check. It seemed to be a little bent, and when I bought the bike and got it home I noticed some tell tale signs of a good crash. Broken brake line guide on the fork, missing brake cover and a very new looking front caliper. Thanks again.

I would completely rebuild the front end. You can leave the lower tree installed, but loosen the top clamp so it rotates a little. Remove the fender and front plate until last. Put each fork tube back in, tighten the bottom clamp pinch bolts. Then toghten the steering stem bolt on the top clamp, then tighten the top clamp pinch bolts. At this point you can insert the axle and sight down the fork tubes to see if they're straight, use your crossbar as a guide. Youcan also lay a pipe across your bar mounts in case your bars are whacked. BTW, your handlebars might be the culprit since you have solid mount handlebar clamps.

Once all that is done, a better way to install the front wheel besides what the manual says. http://mx-tech.com/downloads/FORK_INSTALLATION.pdf

I find it hard to believe the clamps are bent. I think the front end is tweaked in the clamps, bars are bent or the fender is bent. If your fender is bent you can adjust it a little by egging out the mounting holes and/or applying washers as shims between the bottom clamp and top of the fender.