Bloody Skillet Trail in PA and dirtbikes

Does any one know if I can ride my dirtbike on the Bloody Skillet Trail above Snow Shoe Pa. ?

We are heading up there next week and I have two ATV's that I am loaning to my buddies and now someone told me that I am not legal to ride my dirtbike on the trail system.

Can anyone verify this ie.. with a web page stating the DCNR rules , or is this just hear say.

Thankx....

Miller_Time

Ok, well I guess I'll run my bike up there and try to avoid the DCNR, I figure that I might run into them while in town at Snow Shoe, but not on the trails. I try to keep things legal , but I feel as if sometimes you can't win with these guys.

Ok, well I guess I'll run my bike up there and try to avoid the DCNR, I figure that I might run into them while in town at Snow Shoe, but not on the trails. I try to keep things legal , but I feel as if sometimes you can't win with these guys.

The ranger came right over to where we parked, mainly to see if we bought a camping permit. We didn't; no biggie though, he sold them as well, I think it was $3 per night. Nice old man, he hung out with us for awhile in the evening. The trails start at the end of a long long dirt road, so they will probably "catch" you. Not to say they will actually do anything though.

Thanks for the replies, I did check out the website, it does seem that there is no love for dirtbikes because you cannot tag them. Everything else is prtotected like ATV's & Dual sport bikes. Anyway , we will see how this week goes, probably won't spend much time on the permitted trails though. Don't really like to be harassed while I'm riding.

• 2 months later...
Thanks for the replies, I did check out the website, it does seem that there is no love for dirtbikes because you cannot tag them. Everything else is prtotected like ATV's & Dual sport bikes. Anyway , we will see how this week goes, probably won't spend much time on the permitted trails though. Don't really like to be harassed while I'm riding.

Any update? Did you have a problem riding bikes at Bloody Skillet?

Hate to drive all the way up there only to be harassed or kicked out because I only have 2 wheels.

I haven't found any clear information on this - or even a number I could call and ask.

Veccster

If you are going to this area without a plated bike you are running the risk of getting caught by the DCNR. Since the Rangers will be laid off over the winter you may get away with it but the Forester can write tickets too.

I thought the same thing, but the bike knobbies really tear up the trails. I didn't really think about this until I watched an MX track send the quads out first to smooth up the lines. Knobbies are made to dig. ATV and Trials tires are not nearly so hard on the trails.

Any update? Did you have a problem riding bikes at Bloody Skillet?

Hate to drive all the way up there only to be harassed or kicked out because I only have 2 wheels.

I haven't found any clear information on this - or even a number I could call and ask.

The week we went up it rained almost non stop for 4 days, sometimes it would lighten up and drizzle, so I ended up riding my wheeler. I never actually saw a ranger , and in the future I will be taking my bike up again and would not hesitate to ride it , the area is so big that I really doubt that you would ever run into any one else let alone a ranger. Make sure you are fueled up properly, cause when you ride into town there is no where to buy gas (at least in the town of Snow Shoe). There are several options for eating, but if you really want to avoid people , just pack a lunch and stay in the woods. The only part about the trip that would have really challenged me with the bike would have the deep creek crossings.

I thought the same thing, but the bike knobbies really tear up the trails. I didn't really think about this until I watched an MX track send the quads out first to smooth up the lines. Knobbies are made to dig. ATV and Trials tires are not nearly so hard on the trails.

ATV tires, maybe not. But with their increased contact with the ground and heavier weight they tear stuff up pretty badly.

My club holds a hare scramble every year and it's the only time we let quads ride our track. After they are done both our track and trails are HAMMERED and need to be cleaned up pretty extensively.

Sounds like this is a case of either uninformed planning at the DNR level, or ATV bias.

I was thinking the ATVs just don't rut the established trails as quickly. Racing bikes in HS through single track, the line gets rutted up really fast. But the ATVs do wreck a wider area and make the trail tougher for bikes.

This frustrates me to no end, atv's are not licensed but just pay a fee to ride on DCNR trails. Pa is stupid, why not charge a fee to bikes as well. I realise that the atv trails may not be to a bikers liking , but something is better than nothing. I too think atv's, because of their numbers, tear up the ground more than bikes. Just look at lost trails and how their trails get tore up. Maybe we should lobby PA to recognise dirt bikers and allow us on the trails.

• 2 weeks later...