84 XR500 build in progress. W/pics

Hello everybody,

This is my first post on TT (long time browser), so i will use it to introduce myself and my project that I started around march. My name is Wade, and I am a senior in the industrial design program at the University of Kansas.

I picked up a 1984 XR500 with title for $200. It was missing quite a few parts, but the good stuff was still there. I half assed put it back in dirt bike form, and enjoyed it for a couple months. I am now college budget building it into a street bike in the vast area that is my apt. bed room. My budget is roughly $100 a month for this bike, so the materials going into it are either cheap, found, given to me, or (s)crap.

I've got to set up a file hosting account, and I will post the pics I have up to this point, and update as i go along.

Thanks Bobby,

Okay, These pics are from day one. My roommate and I dragged it into the apt. and started the disassembly. BTW guy in pics is my old roommate.

?x5tugvibvitgwbs

?4720gph6kj51lg5

?1rv02nwf4cffvk3

?uo24lg96qb57os1

?zs4fijwdra6ujbc

The motor probably would have ran just fine based on how clean it was,

but a minor rejuvenation couldn't hurt.

?39rcbk8v9aby88r

?vixi205jd9z7m70

?hdjlcaq8jm6mvut

?yq61txzjecg7cuc

?6dd17oydfvk0f95

K i got set up on Photobucket. here are some pics of the engine tear down. I installed new rings on a fresh hone, new top end gaskets, lapped the valves, new valve seals, and cleaned the carbs. ~$100 for all of that.

DSC_0110.jpg

DSC_0126.jpg

DSC_0134.jpg

DSC_0135.jpg

DSC_0138.jpg

DSC_0139.jpg

DSC_0143.jpg

I picked up the header off ebay for like 25 bux. and reassembled the bike with what i had.

DSC_0154.jpg

DSC_0157.jpg

Ok, I managed to find a guy on craigslist that was parting out the same bike, and was able to pick up the tank, seat, foot pegs, headlight, and all the other stuff that was missing, except the muffler. All for $100 again. I ordered a cheap set of air filters off ebay, and welded up a quick, i do mean quick, muffler out of a 2" cherry bomb that one of my buddies had laying around, and a crush bent piece of tubing I found in the school's metal shop.

Be warned this bike is UGLY! but i got to break in the motor, and it looked street legal enough for the cops to not pull me over.

P1010087.jpg

P1010086.jpg

P1010085.jpg

P1010088.jpg

I did a pencil sketch and rendered it out in photoshop. Here is what im working at:

tracker007.jpg

Time to get at the front end

P1010091.jpg

5-1/2 inces were cut off of the front fork springs. by my calcs this would give me roughly a 30% increase in spring rate.

u2.jpg

u3.jpg

5-1/2" spacers were added to the dampener rods to make up for the length cut from the springs.

u5.jpg

re assembled temporarily. till i get new seals

u6.jpg

A 19" front rim from a 72 cb500 (had it in my closet) went on just to mock it up.

u9.jpg

P1010093.jpg

u1.jpg

Edited by beebo777
added my sketch rendering

I got my deposit back from the energy company. Guess where it went.....PARTS!!!!! ?

brand new 19x2.15 excel for $11 off ebay - this deserves another banana ?

s1.jpg

kenda k761

P1010106.jpg

bates 5-1/2" headlight

s4.jpg

knockoff rezzy shocks whatever

s5.jpg

Foam mockup of tank and seat pan. I initially planned on vacuum forming the tank out of HDPE, but this proved to be a HUGE pain in the ass. wasted a lot of time and money. got frustrated and threw the tank mockup away. ?

t5.jpg

No turning back now! hacked off the rear subframe, and de-tabbed the main frame.

s6.jpg

Got a deal on some 4130 chrome-moly from the schools metal shop 6 ft for $12

welded up the rear sub frame, made suspension mounts out of scrap steel, cut crossbar from handle bars.

s8.jpg

s9.jpg

s7.jpg

Went and visited my folks in dallas for a couple weeks this summer, and my dad gave me a fiberglass tank that wouldnt fit on his kz900 build. plus it had leaks like mad. whatever. It looks way way way better than i thought, especially with the seat pan mold that i was about to scrap. here are some pics.

P1010105-2.jpg

P1010103-2.jpg

P1010102-2.jpg

P1010101-2.jpg

I had a 16"x10' roll of carbon fiber fabric and a quart of epoxy left over from a previous failed attempt at making carbon parts for my car. This turned out ok. I also used the a lot of the epoxy to seal and reinforce the areas of the tank that were leaking. Motor is resting in the frame, and tires were put on the rims(no tubes, just mocking up)

P1010111-1.jpg

P1010110-1.jpg

P1010107-1.jpg

P1010109-1.jpg

P1010108-1.jpg

This is where I am currently stuck. This thing and my girl have sucked my wallet dry, and now that school has started, i am not able to work as much.

I was able to finish the seat pan, and get some primer on the tank, maybe ill get some pics of that tomorrow.

Take care TT peeps.

I did a pencil sketch and rendered it out in photoshop. Here is what im working at:

tracker007.jpg

Time to get at the front end

P1010091.jpg

5-1/2 inces were cut off of the front fork springs. by my calcs this would give me roughly a 30% increase in spring rate.

u2.jpg

u3.jpg

5-1/2" spacers were added to the dampener rods to make up for the length cut from the springs.

u5.jpg

re assembled temporarily. till i get new seals

u6.jpg

A 19" front rim from a 72 cb500 (had it in my closet) went on just to mock it up.

u9.jpg

P1010093.jpg

u1.jpg

do you do industrial design?

Thanks for the compliments and criticism guys.

JJ-mo, Yes I am going to school for I.D.

Yeti - taking criticism about my work is what i do. No offense taken, I actually agree with you, but as of right now I don't have too many options. this one or the stock one. which is a no brainer.

Alright heres the pics of the finished seat/tail piece. Also in the works, is the exhaust mockup. I have cut the header into sections. this allowed me to rotate the pre collector sections and raise it up a bit. after i weld it back together, it will be a straight shot back through a 1-3/4 exhaust with a reverse cone megaphone at the end.

P1010113.jpg

P1010115.jpg

P1010114.jpg

P1010117.jpg

I've got an 84 also. It just sits in the garage getting dusty. I've considered transforming it to a flat-track motard look but don't have the skills to do it myself or the money to have somebody else do it for me. I'm liking what you've done so far. Keep up the good work!!