84 XR500 build in progress. W/pics

Mate, hats off to ya, this is the best build I've seen in a long while. Good luck.:)

Sweet build. I think the hubs in the same orange on the shocks, polished stainless spokes, and black rims would look killer. With your current theme. But that's just me.

I vote for the black hubs and rims with stainless spokes.

Great build :)

rustoleum spray paint paint job on the tank. :) acrylic enamel

3 coats primer

full can of base color - 5 coats ish

2 coats of clear

P1010148.jpg

P1010149.jpg

rustoleum spray paint paint job on the tank. :) acrylic enamel

3 coats primer

full can of base color - 5 coats ish

2 coats of clear

P1010148.jpg

P1010149.jpg

The best spray paint job I have seen.

lol thank you. :)

Its dry enough to handle now so i slapped it on the bike.

P1010156.jpg

P1010153.jpg

P1010154.jpg

P1010155.jpg

those motors are very reliable , nice work

nothing really accomplished since the tank, but i put the wheels back on it it just so i could rollit out of my room. I get paid tomorrow, and hopefully i can get these wheels done and tubes put in. possibly be riding it in a week or two. depends on how well i can true the front wheel by my self. I also am really not liking how the exhaust is coming along. thinking about routing it almost immediately into a 2-1 and going down the downtube on the frame, underneath, the bike, and a shorty megaphone gp style. i dunno

yall only get one pic this time :)

P1010161.jpg

Nice project! Cant wait to see it finished!

Twin down pipes are would be awesome! Bike is looking great. I know you weren't completely happy with the size of the tank. But I think it looks pretty good after paint, also long range.

For sure do the down header, short GP exit can. This would look fantastic!

im not a frame builder by any means but your bike appears to have a lot of front weight bias, looks like headshake is something you should look out for. Great job though

The bike is lookin great! :) Kinda makes me wanna start shopping for an old XL to build. I wonder if a 70's vintage XL would be an easier build? They used a dual shock set up in the rear.

"your bike appears to have a lot of front weight bias, looks like headshake is something you should look out for."

As the bike sits, the weight is slightly up front. how much, I dunno till i can source a bathroom scale. However, with the tank being so big, it pushes the sitting position so far back, that the wight bias is hella in the rear when i sit on it. This is what i imagined to cause head shake. not certain though. anyways, the rake angle is plenty steep enough for a bike that is going to be topped out <100mph so im not too terribly worried about it.

Wheelying is what im concerned with over head shake.sitting upright and darn near on top of the rear suspension, it might be difficult to keep the front tire grounded. I talked to one of my old bosses that owns this motorcycle salvage and repair company for later model sport bikes, and he said he would dig around the shop for a set of rear sets and a set of clipons for me for FREE :smashpc:. this will give me a sportier riding position, along with a more centered weight bias, since i will be hunkered over the tank.

no real progress has been made, just a lot of planning. i did get a tube put in the rear tire, and as for the front, im going to have to run the cb500 rim for a little while. winter weather will be here before i know it, and i need to keep expenses on this thing as low as possible so i can enjoy it before it gets too cold. then i have all winter to completely finish it.

No updates for over a week?

Good build!!!

No updates for over a week?

ahhhhh I know :smashpc: school has been running my life.

I get my next paycheck on friday, and shouldbe able to set enough aside to finish the bike.

I already have all of the parts needed in my ebay watch list, just waiting till i can purchase.

I decided against the GP exhaust for now, as i would like to keep the bikes "curb hopping abilities" without crushing the exhaust. i think i might go untertail megaphone :thumbsup:

I promise you guys ill have a good update for yall this weekend.

~peace

i know now what i must do with my life. THIS.

that is probably the most original idea i've ever seen.. :smashpc: that things badass dude!

i know now what i must do with my life. THIS.

that is probably the most original idea i've ever seen.. :smashpc: that things badass dude!

Thanks Yamma, it makes me feel good to know I inspire people. :thumbsup:

With all of the parts I have been ordering, I have gotten to know the post man pretty well. I was driving around town today and he flagged me down a couple blocks from my apartment and was like "I believe I have some motorcycle parts for you." He was right. :lol:

I got my headlight, 17" reverse cone megaphone muffler, and my tail light. A squeeze bugle horn(too lazy to wire an electric horn), and my bar end mirrors are in the mail. The only parts I need now are a gas cap, and an oil filter. the rest is just up to how much free time I have.

I had tubes put in both tires, and tapped the tank for fuel lines. The only things remaining are to rebuild the wheel bearings in the front, make the motor mounts, and the adapter to run the XR rotor on the CB hub. Paint the wheels, mount the....crap I have a lot left to do.

P1010188.jpg

P1010189.jpg

P1010194.jpg

P1010195.jpg

P1010192.jpg

Otto was demanding some attention while I was taking pics :busted:

P1010197.jpg

My fall break is this weekend. Got Monday and Tuesday off, so hopefully I can get work done. Hopefully.

Until then,

Peace

:lol:

DUDE!!! gonna be a bad ass ride.

Exhaust...Check

P1010205.jpg

P1010203.jpg

Horn...Check

P1010204.jpg