Flywheel ????

Ur x is better for lugging around in mud and harder to stool makeing balanceing on rocks on river crossings and silly tight woods rideing easyer.Mx track bike have lighter fw to help spinn the motor up and getting going.But race teams ive read do change if needed to what track they ride.Tbh unless you ride really just mx tracks and speed is ur only goal i would not bother.The x fw seems great for all round rideing.Ive played on crf250r/450r on mx tracks and you can feel they are pure mx bikes and rev more freely.My x is adapted for only mx and has the x fw on and feels when getting back on after the r its climes in the revs slower but there aint that much in it to me anyway.Hope this helps and again its just my thoughts:thumbsup:

Thanks i guess i need to find out the weight of the oem fw and then i can make the right choice

Sorry I dont know the weight of either flywheel, only that the X is heavier and from the looks of it quite a bit heavier than the flywheel the R uses.

Were you looking to add weight or use a lighter flywheel?

A heavy FW isn't going to make up for sloppy clutch work but it does let you be a little lazier. I ran the heaviest one trailtech sold and liked it is slick snotty conditions. Not so much for stalling but for added traction. I know the trailtech has the correct magnets for the charging sytem on the X, not sure about the other brand.

• 1 month later...

Bringing this thread back to add more info. Found a used R flywheel on ebay cheap so what the heck thought Id get it and install it to see first hand what the difference really is. Weighed the two and like what others have said there is very little weight difference, less than I thought. There are a couple of obvious differences, first being the x FW has stronger magnets, alot more magnetic pull than the r FW which is probably the biggest difference between the two. Second being the ID of the r FW is smaller than the x FW by approx .075 so it runs closer to the stator.

As far as performance, when riding the bike there is a noticeable difference between the two flywheels. The r FW allows the engine to spool up faster and at the high end of the rpm range the eng feels like it will rev higher and pulls better than with the x FW, which imo was an improvement and liked that much better.

There was one issue or problem noticed with the r FW installed that I am trying to figure out, there is a vibration that shows up:foul:

It was most obvious in fifth gear when accelerating hard and seemed like it could be felt through the foot pegs:foul:

At this point would speculate it is a engine balance issue. Do not encounter any vibration with the x FW.

Edited by TDW
  • Like 1

if the vibrations started with the swap Iwouldn't run it that way, plus the r flyweeel won't keep your battery charged or light working (if any of that matters to ya)

Yeah not a good thing at all to have a vibration especially if it is coming from the engine. It could easily end up being a major problem. Going to look into a few things before giving up on it.

• 4 weeks later...

After doing some checking to find out where the vibration was coming from I narrowed it down to one component. The clutch basket cushions were weak and also the basket is notched. With the basket removed there was some slop between the gear and the basket which was allowing the gear on the basket to move too much and thats where the vibration was coming from. The vibration was worse the hotter it was.

So the Rfw wasnt the cause but did accentuate the vibration that was obvious especially in fifth gear when accelerating hard. With the notches in the basket there had been some clutch slippage noticed on and off for awhile. I had already filed the basket once so replaced it this time and now it works normal and with no slippage!

• 1 month later...

chopper61

Based on your experience with the set up what is your take on the R fly wheel on the X? Does it make for a better X "MXer"? I ride desert, old guy mx stuff and some woods/single track with a preference for higher speed (relative) stuff. Does it kill the trailability of the X or, as I believe I saw you write somehere else, most probably wouldnt be able to tell the difference.

ST O.D..

Very little difference but used R models flywheels are inexpensive and easy to swap so I would recommend that you give it a try.My bike is both a big bore and stroked so it revs slower than a stocker and the difference in flywheel weight may not be as noticable on my motor as it would be on a stock 250X.