Sign in to follow this  

1971 Honda sl70 Top end

IM assuming most of these older 70cc motors arent much different from the new crop so I figured I could put this here?

Hi, IM trying to get the top end off for piston and rings, It doesnt smoke, but Id like to freshen it up.

How exactly does the camshaft come out? I have taken off the covers on both sides, I have the sprocket on the right side (looking towards the engine) So Im assuming after removing the sprocket bolts, the camshaft slides out the opposite direction? Im not real familiar with these smaller engines, but I assumme it has to come out for the top end to come off, as typical?

Any Help would be GREATLY appreciated!

Make sure you have the piston at TDC with both cam lobes facing downward before removing the three cam sprocket bolts. Once you've removed them, slightly pry up on the cam sprocket itself to remove it from the cam end. You then have to back off the tappet adjuster nuts and loosen the tappet adjusters almost all the way out of the rocker arm. Rethread two of the cam sprocket bolts back into the cam, rotate it 180 degrees (cam lobes upward) and slide it out of the head.

There's no need to remove the cam once you've removed the cam sprocket from the head, you just remove the 4 valve cover nuts and the one bolt holding the head to the cylinder, and the head should slide right off. Before you try to remove the cylinder itself, you have to remove the cam tensioner idler bolt, located on the left side of the engine (as you sit on the bike), remove the idler pulley itself, undo the bolt holding the cylinder to the cases, and then slide the cylinder off.