Pala too fast

Dirt track, road racing, and speed trials are about speed. MX and SX is not all about speed. It's about various obstacles, dirt, turns, and terrain, all designed to tax you and your bike. Those obstacles plus excessive speed equals very bad results when a rider gets it wrong. SX/MX has plenty of risk involved on the best designed tracks. No need to multiply it with poorly designed tracks for the equipment these guys are riding.

Are you comparing your speed to RV? If not, how can you be a judge of the track at the speeds he rides it?

And lastly, "Just ride the lines you know you can without harm to yourself"? At this level, do you think it's a simple choice for them? This isn't play riding like you and I do. This is their livelyhood. They shouldn't have to race on needlessly dangerous tracks.

That being said, Pala this year wasn't extremely dangerous. However it was, as 'poto pointed out, extremely fast and the cost of failure was needlessly high.

Yea, MX is about speed. But these guys have an advantage because they get to ride the track before the race. Right, obstacles are always changing, but that's part of it. I never said I was as fast as RV, I don't even care how fast RV is. He is a pro, and even pros have to ride the tracks like they lay. "Lastly" all tracks are dangerous, what does needlessly mean? You push as hard and fast as you can on any track, thats why it's MX. Don't matter how hard or fast the track is.

Darrell

From what I have seen in the past 25 years I have been racing, someone can build a track with certain obstacles in mind, and someone will eventually come along and link up a couple in ways that nobody ever thought possible, thus increasing the risk. People like Bubba that have the speed, nuts, and creativity will do things that 99.9% of the people would never dream of.

From what I have seen in the past 25 years I have been racing, someone can build a track with certain obstacles in mind, and someone will eventually come along and link up a couple in ways that nobody ever thought possible, thus increasing the risk. People like Bubba that have the speed, nuts, and creativity will do things that 99.9% of the people would never dream of.

Very true. Like that section that Wilson and Reed were hitting by connecting the two rhythm sections. I was standing there and the first time I saw Wilson hit it I didn't think he was gonna be able to hang on to the bike when he landed. Reed hit it during moto 2 as well. There might have been other riders to hit but I saw them two for sure. It was a HUGE jump to connect those two sections but the riders make the choice to do it, no one made em do it.

I live 10 miles from Pala and ride there often. I was practicing for the amateur race held before the National when I shorted a double and suffered an A/C separation of my left shoulder. It is a gnarly track and to call it a big, outdoor Supercross track would not be far off the mark but I love the wide-open speed of it. I am looking forward to them toning down the monstrous jumps and opening up so I can get back out there.

Ill second that. I was there that friday practice also before the national. I broke my femur and collarbone that day. Not saying the track is bad or to extreme, its just gnarly and not fun to mess up on at all.