Can't find used YZ250's?

So i'm in the market for a new bike, and my budget is around 4k, but I would be able to spend around 5k if it was a really good bike. My first choice would be a YZ250, 08-10, and i can't find any in that year range. I know they haven't really changed since like 06, but I just don't want a bike older than 08 or so because they start to get pretty clapped out if there older than that. I live in southern california, so you would think that would be the biggest market of used bikes, but I can't find any! What gives? are they just so unpopular, that there aren't a lot of used ones?

I would totally be willing to spend around 6k if I could get a brand new one, but all the dealers are charging around 7k for left over '11s. I could buy a 450 at that price! What are some deals you guys got on your '11s or '10s?

People hang on to them and when they go up for sale, they go quick. Keep looking, you're in the right price range, there's just not enough of them to go around, especially the 250 model.

I wanted a YZ125 so I looked and looked... It took me a year to find my 2008 YZ125. All I could find in my area were clapped out 2005s and 2006s.

I've also been looking for a 250 in So. Cal (mostly OC craigs list), but haven't found very many. And I'm even looking at older 03 and 04s. There aren't very many and the ones that are out there are pretty overpriced. Just gotta stay vigilant. If you have a smartphone, you can get a craigslist app that will send you alerts whenever new ads are posted. Might be useful.

I can only keep looking for about a month, then i won't be able to take it anymore and I'll probably buy a used 450. My friend is selling his 09 yz450 for 3k, and it's in great condition, and i know he's taken care of it. That bike for only 3k is hard to pass up, but i would really love a 250, so I'll keep looking

I wish someone would buy my YZ. It's not the aluminum frame model, it's a '00, but it does have a green sticker. I listed it at $1700 would go down to $1400 last year not even a call. I had listed it a couple of months ago for $1500 and would have gone as low as $1200. It's still for sale if anyone is interested in the older steel frame ones. Any offer less than $1200 I might as well keep it as a spare.

What gives? are they just so unpopular, that there aren't a lot of used ones?
Two things happened;

1. In 2006-2007 4-stroke popularity began to skyrocket, and new 2-stroke sales started to drop off dramatically. That is why today you can find 3 times as many '05 YZs as '08's, because Yamaha sold 3 times as many back in ’05.

2. Then in 2009-2010 2-stroke popularity experienced a resurgence, and since Yamaha was barely producing any 2-strokes at the time, all the decent used bikes were snapped up. This Supply & Demand double-whammy means 2007-2009 2-stroke YZs are very hard to find.

That’s not to say they are impossible to find, as some of the posters have mentioned. You need to be diligent and patient. Too bad it seems you are tied to a timeline. That will make it tougher.

Good luck!

I can only keep looking for about a month, then i won't be able to take it anymore and I'll probably buy a used 450. My friend is selling his 09 yz450 for 3k, and it's in great condition, and i know he's taken care of it. That bike for only 3k is hard to pass up...
IMHO, the '09 YZ450f is about the best of the breed. If you can't wait, your friend's bike would be a worthwhile purchase. ?

alright, found an '09 at a dealer that supposedly has only 4 rides on it, has a desert tank, which i don't want, but an easy fix. The pics they keep sending me are to small to really tell what it looks like, but if it really has 4 rides on it, then It's in real good shape. the price is 4,600 out the door, which sounds a little steep to me, what do you guys think?

alright, found an '09 at a dealer that supposedly has only 4 rides on it, has a desert tank, which i don't want, but an easy fix. the price is 4,600 out the door, which sounds a little steep to me, what do you guys think?
Offer them $4000 and settle at $4200-4300. ?

And make sure you get the stock tank. ?

ya they said they don't have it but theyd see if they had one in stock. I talked to the guy, he said he was firm on $4,500, then he called back and said he could do $4,000, but it would be $4,600 with all the fees. I think the only way i'm buying it is if he gets the stock tank and knocks the OTD price down to $4,300, which is more than reasonable for an 09, even if it is in great shape